I Have To Let Someone Know About My Betta Peter Parker Lol

madeline J oquendo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I just started again to care for some bettas sinces I stopped a couple of years ago, now that I'm more at home I did. Lol
So anyways I got this betta named peter parker his the best lol so yesterday I did his weekly change of water. When I was done I decided to turn off the heater since all of the thermometers where saying the water was at 79 degrees so I left it. I notice him not moving or showing off even changed colors his chin turned a bit grey.
So today I'm moving everything around and I decide to plug the heater back on omg!! A whole 360 his now more active his old self

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Leave the heater plugged in. Bettas need around 78 degree water. When you unplugged it (unless your house is super hot) it dropped to room temperature and that probably made him unhappy.

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That’s great that he’s back to himself but let’s try to figure out why he was stressed.

What tank size is it?
Is it cyled?
Water parameters?
How do you change the water?
What kind of heater is it? The preset heaters can sometimes be unreliable.
79F is good for a betta although they can take 78 to 82F.
It’s also good to change up their tank decorations every once in a while. They love to explore.

madeline J oquendo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
penguin02 said:
Leave the heater plugged in. Bettas need around 78 degree water. When you unplugged it (unless your house is super hot) it dropped to room temperature and that probably made him unhappy.
Lol yea now I know better

madeline J oquendo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bryangar said:
That’s great that he’s back to himself but let’s try to figure out why he was stressed.

What tank size is it?
Is it cyled?
Water parameters?
How do you change the water?
What kind of heater is it? The preset heaters can sometimes be unreliable.
79F is good for a betta although they can take 78 to 82F.
It’s also good to change up their tank decorations every once in a while. They love to explore.
Its a 3.5 gallon to his self. I got him a week ago but I had the tank cycle for 2 weeks I did a water weekly change yesterday. Nitrite 6.0 ppm everything else 0 but I think the ammonia is a bit off cause I ended with a bad cleaner so the gravel is a bit dirty. I might just feed him once a day for a bit. Thw heater is a betta topfin it supposed to be for a 2.5 gallon, my question is can I add another heater I got as a gift its also a betta one but its for the 1 - 1 1/2 gallon tanks

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nitrite is 6??!! The tank is definitely not cycled then. What did you do to cycle it? Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
madeline J oquendo said:
Its a 3.5 gallon to his self. I got him a week ago but I had the tank cycle for 2 weeks I did a water weekly change yesterday. Nitrite 6.0 ppm everything else 0 but I think the ammonia is a bit off cause I ended with a bad cleaner so the gravel is a bit dirty. I might just feed him once a day for a bit. Thw heater is a betta topfin it supposed to be for a 2.5 gallon, my question is can I add another heater I got as a gift its also a betta one but its for the 1 - 1 1/2 gallon tanks
I’m sorry to say but it takes longer to cycle a tank, up to month unless you are using already cycled media.
You tested 6.0 for nitrite? Then your tank isn’t cycled. Ammonia will burn his gills and nitrite will suffocate him. A cycled tank will look like: Ammonia/Nitrite: 0 Nitrate: 5-20. You should be doing daily water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite lower than .25.

How many watts is the current heater you have? I would get rid of both and purchase an adjustable 25 watt heater.

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I disagree with bryangar. My tanks have cycled in 14 days before. You can do fishless (takes longer) or a fish in cycle with bacteria in a bottle. I recommend TSS (Tetra Safe Start) for you since he's already in the tank. Do daily water changes to get those readings down, and once they're down to .25 or less add the BB in a bottle. After that you can't do any more water changes for... I forget how long but it will say it on the bottle.

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
penguin02 said:
I did a fish in cycle with TSS.
I definitely would not recommend doing fish-in cycles. It causes alot of unnecessary stress on the fish and exposes them to toxic water.

TSS has many people saying it works. I myself have never used it but it has good reviews. I always just add cyled media from my cycled tanks but usually when you add TSS it does take up to 2 weeks.

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Don’t wanna hijack this thread with a cycling debate lol. But fish in is my favorite way to cycle.

Hopefully OP replies soon with some more info

madeline J oquendo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
midna said:
i'm hoping they meant nitrate, not nitrite lol
Yes I ment nitrate. Sorry for not even responding but I have to wait now till Tuesday for my new kit to come cause my son chose to play with the kit I had. ( I almost cried) n I'm doing a fish cycle cause my boyfriend surprise me with peter parker. The betta I have. I'm tryin to stay on top of it. I wish this kit hurry up.

madeline J oquendo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
penguin02 said:
Don’t wanna hijack this thread with a cycling debate lol. But fish in is my favorite way to cycle.

Hopefully OP replies soon with some more info
I have another question how can I change the filters I got the original set up but ive looked up that filter sponges are the wave lol. Help

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Betta fish are very hardy so it’s not problem to do a fish in cycle with them.

And as long as your heater has a thermostat, you shouldn’t need to unplug it. Just set it to them temperature you want and let it be. The only ones that really need unplugged are the unregulated heating pads that sit under the gravel (I highly recommend AGAINST these, especially in the summer months).

madeline J oquendo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So update my baby peter parker looked pale so crazy i gave him a salt bath yesterday removed him from the tank and placed him in my 10 gallon. I did about an 85% water change. Since I put him in the 10 gallon i had to put my other betta wakanda and my 4 snails in the 3.5 gallon tank. I finally got my new test kit. Let me kno how it looks. Mind you I changed this water yesterday this is from my 3.5 gallon
1527630413014491426303.jpg

DylanM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
madeline J oquendo said:
So update my baby peter parker looked pale so crazy i gave him a salt bath yesterday removed him from the tank and placed him in my 10 gallon. I did about an 85% water change. Since I put him in the 10 gallon i had to put my other betta wakanda and my 4 snails in the 3.5 gallon tank. I finally got my new test kit. Let me kno how it looks. Mind you I changed this water yesterday this is from my 3.5 gallonView attachment 442673
It looks as if you are at the very start of a cycle, have you been cleaning your filter media at all? Replacing it?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom