I have to know! California drought

1. frogfan Well Known Member Member

So i have seen and heard on the news alot about the water restrictions in cali restrictions on watering lawns , showing , washing clothes ect. So FL friends in cali how is this effecting your fish care ? Do u have to skip showers to do water changes?

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Hi frogfan, the media tends to spin things in any way they can to convey urgency, fear, excitement, etc.. to benefit their ratings, so don't believe everything you hear :)

I live in one of the driest areas in California, and there have been no water restrictions or issues to date. Some areas do have conservation efforts in place that fault property owners for wasteful water usage, this is only for things like washing off your driveway with a hose or over watering your grass, etc... California also uses a lot of reclaimed water where it has various areas where we collect rain water, store it and use it for irrigation in certain areas. Many cities and counties will use this non potable water and its noticeable because the sprinkler and water connections are painted purple.

3. frogfan Well Known Member Member

So no skipping showers! Who the heck washes their drive way what a total waste of time

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

....Cowboys don't take showers, we just dust off! ;)

No restrictions on showers, some campsites that get their water from water reservoirs have cut water off to their sites, but have started to truck it in.

5. cichlidman Well Known Member Member

i do that alot to get the little rocks off. they hurt when stepped on with bare feet or layed on . Also I work on my cars there and drip oil and things from time to time

6. shuwae Member Member

There is somewhat a restriction in my city but that is because I live in the Central Valley where there is a lot of farming. I have seen workers drive around in my neighborhood to look for owners who "waste" water. I just think it is kind of funny when you see lawns with very green grass and others with dried grass. You can tell who waters their lawn.

I usually do water changes once a week but as of this last week, I am sticking to once every two weeks to hopefully feel like I am making a difference even though I will most likely not.

7. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

When i did live there, sometimes we would have certain days we could wash our car, and it was recommended we only watered our lawn at certain times of day to reduce evaporation. Honestly it becomes natural to not do certain things at certain times.

8. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Water has become very expensive around us, and we have a good sized property. We're trying to our reduce water usage by about 60% We planted large sections of lawn with yarrow after removing the grass. We mow it to about 4 inches in height. Yarrow requires a lot less water, does well in 100+ degrees Fahrenheit, and is a pretty, ferny ground cover. However, it does not take as much wear and tear as grass. We put mulch over other sections, using dead leaves from our compost pile. We're mainly trying to keep the trees and bushes alive. Actually, putting Eco complete and Flourite into the tanks, along with planting heavily, was partially in order to decrease water changes and siphoning is less of an issue. I try to change less than 25% of the tank water per month, mostly topping off. I have one tank that still tends to get more nitrate than the others, and I add Amquel plus in that one. At any rate, I developed severe tendinitis in both arms and hands doing yardwork, making it impossible for me to maintain my tanks this summer. I'm getting by with more than a little help from friends :p