I have such bad luck

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LiterallyHydro, Jul 14, 2015.

1. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

So I bought a new 75 gallon Aqueon aquarium today. Everything seemed good, I painted the back of the aquarium, it dried perfectly. However, I go to put the tank on the stand, and the tank wouldn't sit properly on the stand. On further inspection, I realized the bottom trim of the aquarium isn't sitting flush against the glass on one corner... It seems like when the tank was manufactured, too much silicone was used on the corner.

I still have the receipt and will be taking my tank back to the LFS tomorrow to attempt to get a replacement or refund.

I can't seem to set up a 75 gallon aquarium without a problem :( I swear I want to quit the hobby sometimes when these things happen.

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Aw, I'm sorry...... I too felt like I wanted to quit the hobby when my fish started dying off so rapidly, so..... Hope everything turns out well for you!!! :)

3. alink

alinkWell Known MemberMember

Bummer! Sorry to hear that. If they say anything about the paint, a razor blade should remove it, otherwise paint thinner since it doesnt matter to you how it comes off lol..

4. OP
    OP
    LiterallyHydro

Yeah. Hopefully this gets squared away quickly and I can begin the thread for a 75 gallon peacock/haps project. I already have plans for a 200w aqueon pro heater and a fluval 306 with a sun sun 525gph.

5. LeoDiaz

LeoDiazFishlore VIPMember

I would go with 2 200w heaters instead.

6. OP
    OP
    LiterallyHydro

House is always in the mid 70s. The 200w is able to maintain the temperature just fine. I've already done this in the past with my old 75.

7. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yep I have 2 200w Aqueon pro heaters in my 75.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. alink

alinkWell Known MemberMember

Yeah I would do 2 x 200 watt heaters. 3-5 watts per gallon is whats recommended. I have a 200w in my 55 and I feel that is barely enough lol. Plus have 2 heaters, they wont work as hard and will heat the tank more evenly.

9. LeoDiaz

2 heater never hurt no one if one fails you still have another one.

10. OP
    OP
    LiterallyHydro

I'm an advocate for redundancy to avoid catastrophe. But in this situation I already have fully functioning heaters laying around ready to go if there is a problem.

I'm actually more worried about the tanks temperature rising due to a malfunctioning heater than it being cooler for a few hours tops.

I'll likely add a second heater to the aquarium anyway after its running.

11. LeoDiaz

Ok, about this peacock hap tank what are the plans?

12. OP
    OP
    LiterallyHydro

Not much yet, to be honest. Don't know what I'm going to stock or where I'll get my rock. All I know is I'm using LEDs I have laying around with black sand and a black background

13. LeoDiaz

Sounds legit, you just need some large boulders you can find at at your local landscaping company. Stocking i can help you make up a compatiable stock list.

14. Jsigmo

JsigmoWell Known MemberMember

I don't think they'll give you any grief about the paint. After all, the aquarium had a factory defect. That's not your responsibility, and there won't be any question about the paint having caused it.

Really, the manufacturer should compensate you for the wasted paint and wasted time to apply it. The LFS is sort of the middleman in all of this. Ideally, they will just replace the tank for you and they will deal with whatever warranty policy the manufacturer has so you won't need to. And ideally, the manufacturer will just send them an extra one in the next shipment they send out, so nobody ends up with any more hassle than is necessary.

Sometimes the manufacturer wants to have the bad tank back so they can inspect it to help them see what went wrong at their end. But in any case, neither you nor the LFS should have to "eat" the shipping cost if they do want to see it. If I was the manufacturer, I might ask the LFS to send me some photos just so I could identify what might have gone wrong in the manufacturing process to make sure any problems in the production could be corrected. It's a lot faster, cheaper, and easier to send a few pictures by email than it is to ship a tank like that! :)

In any case, best of luck to you. Don't be too discouraged.

15. OP
    OP
    LiterallyHydro

That'd be great, I don't even know much yet about Haps/Peacocks, I was going to do the research possible stocking while the tank was cycling.

16. LeoDiaz

1 thing you need to know is that female haps/peacocks look really boring/dull. It can me compated with having and all male tank but thats no fun you can have more agression issues and no baby fish.

17. OP
    OP
    LiterallyHydro

I have no problem having no baby fish. I would just want to avoid more aggression. Since I likely won't have much rock at all, I'd want minimal aggression.

18. LeoDiaz

They dont need that much rocks like i said they just need 3-4 large boulders peacocks and haps are open water swimmers. But Male tank can look amazing but some end in dissaster. Dragon blood peacocks look nice and female are better looking then other peacock females.

19. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

Tank should not be an issue. Aqueon (you did say that was the manufacturer?) will need the tank back anyway, paint or no paint, and they won't sell it again, they'll just take it apart and recycle what they can.

20. OP
    OP
    LiterallyHydro

So I got the tank replaced and received some in store credit for the trouble.

Now the tank is painted, on the stand, filled with black sand, added some limestone and holey rock and it will start cycling when a Sunsun canister filter comes in the mail and an Aqueon quietflow 30 is done being seeded by a fluval 306 in my 20G. I'll update with pictures soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice