i have sparkler fry!

1. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

so this morning while i was gazing into my 12g edge....i noticed one of the sparkling gouramis hanging out near some frogbit...and guarding it. he/she (not sure) was chasing the espeis away, and tending to the frogbit. so i looked more closely....and there are tiny little babies under it! they are so adorable. he's doing a good job caring for them. i've never had any fry before..so we'll see how it goes. but here are some pics =]

Attached Files:

2. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

That's really cool! congrats. I wish I could find sparkling gourami around here. Pictures are great too! that looks really neat :D

3. angel_scout Well Known Member Member

Congrats on the fry!

4. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

thank you :) my camera is kind of old...just a panasonic lumix...but it takes really good pics! i actually didn't get the sparklers locally. they came allll the way from california =] i've had them a couple months.

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Yay! That's great Jeri!
    They really are the cutest things.
    Mine had the eggs under the driftwood so I never got the view you did.
    Did you see the embrace? It's pretty cool.

6. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

That's so neat!

7. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

no lucy, i never saw them embrace. i've seen videos though...it is very cool. i've heard quite a bit of talking going on lately though. i wonder if they can talk to the fry....well who ever is caring for them...not sure if it's mom or dad...but he is very dedicated...so cool to watch...tending to them, keeping them all together. they are starting to be a little free swimming.

i even just saw him take one in his mouth, a replace it closer to the bunch. very amazing

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

That's adorable!
    Please keep us updated!

9. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I really want to get some sparkling gourami now! Do you have them in a NPT?

10. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

11. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

That's awesome Jers! I hope they do well for you :)

12. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

i do have them in an npt.....it's been set up a couple months now. i think the lack of water movement is a good thing for them. when i first got the sparklers, they were so tiny....so much more than the one i already had. but now they have grown to a decent size...and are pretty mature i'd say =]

and are very good at keeping the espeis away. you can tell they are like....what is all this fuss about? we're not even allowed to swim in certain spots without getting chased away. haha. this hobby is pretty amazing...you never know what you're going to see next

13. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

It's not a hobby, it's a way of life ;D

14. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

ya know.....you might be right nut. ;)

15. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Congrats! I wish you lived in Washington, then I could steal your fry (where's the ninja smile?!)

16. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

:;nin I want some fry too! there's only one seller on aquabid that has them and I don't like their reviews.

17. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

can you tell me who the seller is, nut? i got mine from bob's tropical plants....they are on ab...but also just have a retail site. i've ordered from them a couple times. aside from some not so good looking plants...they were ok. plus i reeeeally wanted sparklers..so i took a risk. =]

18. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

It was somebody out of Oregon. They have a no refund policy that I wasn't to keen on.

19. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

ahhh wetspot. ok. no, i didn't order from them. but hey, if my fry grow up, maybe i'll send ya a few :D

20. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

yes, put me on the fry list!!! I'm hooked on these things now.