I Have Some Questions

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by emmysjj, Apr 21, 2018.

1. emmysjjWell Known MemberMember

1. (Cycling my ten gallon with safestart and pure ammonia) I hadn't dosed ammonia because my nitrite bottle was defective. Finally got a new one. My readings are most likely all 0 (ill check). My original plan was to do a female betta. How does one go about fish-in cycling? I used my SafeStart, do I need that? I can get more.

2. Might want to switch it up. Could I do guppies, endlers, and RCS? How many of each? Could I add anything else? Could I fish in cycle with guppies, then add endlers, then shrimp?

Sorry with the questions, its been a while. If I decide to go with guppies and endlers, these would be my first non-betta/non-goldfish fish :)

2. SwampgorillaValued MemberMember

Cycling is much faster with no fish. Much less stressful for you too.

You have to allow the ammonia to spike up, and you can do things like elevate the tank temperature to speed the cycle - you can't do this with fish-in. You have to change water to keep ammonia lower (robs bacteria of food). Often you can't elevate the temperature enough to provide the best environment to quickly grow bacteria.

3. emmysjjWell Known MemberMember

4. Laxin10Valued MemberMember

That depends, how much did you use? Its usually good to always keep some handy. You will definitely need to get a API Master Test Kit though.

5. emmysjjWell Known MemberMember

I have the API Test kit, its just the one bottle didn't work :)

I used the whole small bottle.

Also, what about the endlers and guppies?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice