I have some questions ....

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I have a list of questions that I want to ask but wasn't sure if I should list them all in the forum for answers or if I should email someone privately. When I say list, I mean probably 6 to 10 (depending on how many I can remember at the time) ... man, my memory sucks these days!

This forum is very helpful for me to learn more about the bettas that I love so much. I was in the pet store today and saw them all and wanted to buy 6 or 7 more but I know I don't have the space. They are just SO beautiful and their personalities range so much.

I LOVE THEM! :) And, it is nice to be around a bunch of other people that love them too!!

Thanks.
Kelly ;D

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Betta forum would be the perfect place to list your questions. While we don't mind personal messages, if they are presented in the forums the questions and answers, discussions etc will be there for everyone to learn from and to add their experiences to.
Carol

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Excellent! I just wanted to make sure before I got going with them! :) Thanks! Here goes:

1) Would 2 male bettas be OK in a 10 gallon tank with a divider (essentially then two 5 gallon tanks...)?

2) Are dried bloodworms good to feed bettas or do they need to be fresh?

3) Usually when I go out of town I take my bettas to a friend's house so that she can watch them for me. I saw in the pet store that they had some "food pyramids" that "open up" as the days pass (3 days or 7 days). Has anyone heard of these or if they work or not? Also, are there any auto feeders that do work? What do others do when they go out of town?

4) While I was in the pet store today there were some bettas in BLUE water. I asked the associate and she didn't know. She guessed it was how the water was treated but only half were in blue water. Any thoughts?

5) What kind of lighting is best for them? I have seen halogen lights, LED lights and such.

6) Does anyone use thermometers for the tanks? Are digital better or the ones that stick on the outside of the tank?

7) How do I find out how to do plants in the tank? I wanted to get a bamboo plant but I'm not sure how to do it. Does dirt go in the bottom of the tank for the plants? Are the plants completely submerged or sticking out the top of the tank? Are there plants that are better for bettas?

I'm sure there are other questions but I can't think of them right now. I'll post them if I think of them later. Any information though would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Kelly

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
divakeeks said:
Excellent!  I just wanted to make sure before I got going with them!  :)  Thanks!  Here goes:

1)  Would 2 male bettas be OK in a 10 gallon tank with a divider (essentially then two 5 gallon tanks...)?
I personally think that the two males would be stressed out by constantly being able to see each other. They are very territorial and would want to fight. Also, while I think five gallons would be ok for one betta, he'd be happier in ten gallons.

2)  Are dried bloodworms good to feed bettas or do they need to be fresh?
Dried bloodworms are better than fresh. Fresh (or frozen) bloodworms cause constipation in bettas.

3)  Usually when I go out of town I take my bettas to a friend's house so that she can watch them for me.  I saw in the pet store that they had some "food pyramids" that "open up" as the days pass (3 days or 7 days).  Has anyone heard of these or if they work or not?  Also, are there any auto feeders that do work?  What do others do when they go out of town?
Sorry....... I don't have an answer for this one......

4)  While I was in the pet store today there were some bettas in BLUE water.  I asked the associate and she didn't know.  She guessed it was how the water was treated but only half were in blue water.  Any thoughts?
My guess is that the water was blue from some type of medicine. Perhaps the fish had ich or fungus..... I'd never buy fish from a blue water tank.

5)  What kind of lighting is best for them?  I have seen halogen lights, LED lights and such.
Florescent lighting is best for all fish (my opinion).

6)  Does anyone use thermometers for the tanks?  Are digital better or the ones that stick on the outside of the tank?
I prefer the ones that you stick on the outside of the tank.

7)  How do I find out how to do plants in the tank?  I wanted to get a bamboo plant but I'm not sure how to do it.  Does dirt go in the bottom of the tank for the plants?  Are the plants completely submerged or sticking out the top of the tank?  Are there plants that are better for bettas?
Bettas like busy plants that reach right to the top of the water. If they reach the top and drape over, that's better yet. Also, just letting the plants float is good. You can anchor the plants in the gravel (not dirt), have them in little pots (your LFS can help you with that), or fasten them to rocks, as one member here has done. Right now, I like to let most of the live plants float and use some plastic or silk in the bottom of the tank because the live ones keep getting uprooted anyway thanks to Lurch (my dojo loach).
I hope I've helped at least a little......

I'm sure there are other questions but I can't think of them right now.  I'll post them if I think of them later.  Any information though would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Kelly

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your answers. You did indeed help. I've only just begun learning about bettas and what they need to be happy and healthy. I only wish they lived longer than 2-3 years which I hear is there average life expectancy. :-\

I can see myself owning bettas for the rest of my life now. They tug at my heart when I see them in the store and I only wish I could take care of them all. :)

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
divakeeks said:
Thank you very much for your answers.  You did indeed help.  I've only just begun learning about bettas and what they need to be happy and healthy.  I only wish they lived longer than 2-3 years which I hear is there average life expectancy.   :-\

I can see myself owning bettas for the rest of my life now.  They tug at my heart when I see them in the store and I only wish I could take care of them all.  :)
I would like to learn how to lenghten the lifespan of bettas, too. My last betta, before Dante, lived two years after I bought him (but who knows how old he was when I got him??). I grew very attached to him and was more upset over his death than I thought possible. If ever I find another that looks like him (black with gold fins and blue eyes), I'll be amazed. Not that Dante isn't striking: pink body, fins that start out blue at the base and then become maroon. But he doesn't have the personality that Fred had. While Fred was a "personable" fish and very friendly, Dante is a hunter and is the domineering ruler of the tank. Even the black-skirt tetras don't dare to mess with him, and they are very territorial bullies.
Anyway..... I'm glad I could help you. Bettas are truly intriguing fish. If I ever get another aquarium, you can bet that a male betta will be there, taking center stage!

S.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay, I may throw my two cents worth in here although I do agree with most of what was advised:

1) NO the 10 gallong cannot be used for 2 male bettas with a clear divider. If there is a divider that cannot be seen through. I see no problem. They should never be put in a position where they can flare at each other for more that 10 minutes at a time or it will stress them and put a major stress on their heart. I made a mistake one day and left a mirror up for 20 minutes and I thought that I was going to give my fish a heart attack. He raised around the tank like he was running the Indy 500. Scared me to death!

2) Fresh or Frozen Blood worms cannot necessarily have the bacteria removed from them. That is why I do not recommend any form but the Freeze Dried bloodworms. Yes they can cause constipation, but only if you overfeed your betta. 1 meal of bloodworms is 6 to 7 worrms only. You only feed this two times a day. If you only feed this amount and do not give in to their pleading little eyes you won't probably get into the constipation little problem.

3) I was just in the hospital for 3 days and had no one to come in and see about the fish and they did just fine. I feed them well every day and so if they have to got a few days with out having food it will not kill them. The cubes usually do not contain the type of food that Bettas do eat. They contain food for bottom feeders. There are some small little feeders made especially for Bettas but they only last for a weekend and I don't know if I can trust them.

4) There are some ich treatments that turn the water blue. I would say that the guess is right that the fish is being treated for some disease.

5) Just plain fluorescent lighting is fine for mine and I recently got them a lunar lamp for each tank and they like them.

6) I use the digital that has a probe that goes in the tank and the actual display goes on the outside of the tank. It shows the tank to +/- 0.1 degree and lets me have a better control of the water temperature.

7) I do not know about bamboo, but I do know that Bettas LOVE tall plants. They have to swim to the top of the tank at night to "breathe" through the Labyrinth organ on top of their heads. They have to breathe air as well as through their gills or they will drown. Considerate Betta owners plant at least one or two plants that grow near the top of the tank for the tank for their bettas to sleep in so their sleepy little buddies don't have to swim far at night to breathe. You do have to be carefull with floating plants and be sure to always keep at least half of the tank surface clear of anything floating as the betta must have a clear, clean space to come up to breathe. If the whole surface is covered with plant material, it is not a good air contact for them to reach to with the Labyrinth Organ. The surface needs to also be slightly moving (very little movement) to keep dust and dirt or scum from building up on the surface a it needs to remain as clean as possible.

I hope this has helped a bit.

Rose

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
All of the answers have helped indeed. I just want to make my babies as happy as they can be. Are there any other foods that they enjoy as treats? I've heard of people feeding them feeder fish like guppies and the like.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Their mouths are not really big enough for feeder fish, but if you keep them with pregnant guppys they will sure keep the fry cleaned out.
Carol

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok .. I don't think I can keep my guys with anything right now since they've been living alone for awhile... I think they would terrorize anything that went in there but I will know for next time. :)

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As far as lengthening the lifespan I only have one suggestion. The fish in the local fish stores are sometimes quite old which does make the lifespan perhaps only a couple of years once they find homes and you should be congratulated for giving each and every one of them a good home in their days they have left. This is a very good thing you do.

I however take the cowards way out and order the baby Bettas from the breeders so I know that I am getting very young fish who have a chance at a longer lifespan. It gives me a chance to watch them grow up and experience the different phases of their development. Believe me watching a Betta through puberty is a sight! Especially the males can be quite naughty in a cute kind of way. The little girs are darlings and do seem so dainty and loving that watching them grow is so sweet.

There are good and bad points of both types of purchases, but it depends on which goal you are looking for. Anyone who has ANY thought of breeding Bettas and the room and stamina to do it will need to have breeder produced stock. The fish bought at the local fish store are already too old to breed. Breeding pairs are not cheap but not expensive as the fish world goes ($40 + depending on the color you choose)

Rose

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to find a list of local breeders to a certain city or state? I have tried to search but haven't come up with anything. I think that I would like to get fish from a breeder instead of the LFS but I don't know how to go about that.

I definitely would like to breed too but certainly don't have the room in my apartment or the knowledge of bettas I feel is required. Perhaps someday!!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You really don't need to worry about ordering bettas from a reputable mail order breeder. There are several online. Most will have a picture of the fish you are ordering for you to see, not just a display model LOL. I received all my fish from several states away and usually for some reason they would arrive during the worst weather (blizzards) of the year. It is to the breeders good fortune for the fish to arrive alive and healthy so they do all they can to see to it that they get there in excellent shape.

In fact in another post I am going to make today, I got 3 new arrivals today in the best of health from California and I live in Nebraska. I have ordered with the best of luck from Texas and New York as well. I would order from any of these places again. The prices have varied quite a bit but depending on what you are looking for the fish sell for as little as $3.95 and the shipping is as little as $7.00. The fish are guaranteed to arrive alive and all the buyers I have done business with are found on eBay. For a while, eBay forbade the selling of Bettas I believe because they had some unscrupulous sellers, but they are now gone. The dealers that I know there now are fine honorable people and do a great job taking care of their fish and send me exactly what I ask for.

Rose

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am from Texas so that would work for me. I will definitely look into ebay and see what is available. I cannot get another right now as my boyfriend thinks that 2 is PLENTY. He is secretly falling in love with them too though (he doesn't know I can tell) so we'll see. :) We are also probably going to get a house at the end of the year so who knows. I'm working on it though!!!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The breeder I buy from in Texas goes by the name of "emiad". I got Misty from them, in case you haven't met her here she is.

Rose

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll see if I can look them up.

I have met Misty and she is gorgeous! How old is she now? I find it hard to tell their age by their size since some are smaller than others. I know mine have definitely grown though since I bought them. Here are some new pics of them (I got them to "pose" for me!!)

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Beautiful boys!! They pose so nicely for you, you will have to share your secret with me. Actually Raspy looks very like my Noel. And your little blue/red (sorry I don't know his name) is beautiful he sure knows how to flare.

Misty was born around the middle of January as near as I could figure so she is around 4 months now. She is about

--------------- that long without the tail, doesn't seem to be growing much in length the last couple of weeks. Most of the new ones are bigger that her. Emma (red) is the only one her size, but she has spirit and fire and will stand up to the bigger girls. I do think they are all about the same age.

My boys are both less than a year old too so I don't have any full grown fish yet.

Rose

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Wonderful! My boys used to be scared of the camera but now I put it near them and they go into a frenzy. Especially Lilex (blue/red). He sure does like the camera. Raspy doesn't really flare his fins like others I've seen but he has a different fin structure than Liliex too so they never look as full anyway.

Another question ... Do you turn your lights off at night so they can sleep or does it matter? I have found that light stimulates them so I've been turning them off at night so they have some "down" time. They tend to sleep whenever they feel like it though whether there are lights on or not. I can't wait to get them bigger tanks so they can have bigger plants in there to sleep on.

Raspy does look like Noel for sure! I love the rich color red!! Both my boys are about an inch long without the tail. I'd say they've grown about a 1/4 inch since I bought them a few months ago.

I'm sure jealous of all your fishes!! :)

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you don't mind my answering, yes the light needs to be turned off at night. They need about 12 hours of light to make vitamin D--I believe--and then they need about 12 hours of dark to sleep. Also the lights should be turned off and on at the same time each day so you don't scare them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom