I have so many ideas for stocking my 80 gallon! I'm gonna put them all here.

redmare

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I come up with a new OMG I TOTALLY FIGURED IT OUT stocking every day. I have loads of time to plan before I can start stocking (I can start a kick-started cycle in September) but I just need to share all my thoughts and have you all help steer me away from terrible ideas. Also to stop pestering my poor family by ranting over every new combination I think of...
My goal is to get the tank cycling plenty of ammonia so I can add at least half the stock right away. I also have an fx4 filter and plan on safely overstocking, empty looking tanks aren't my jam. There will be loads of plants in whatever I do, medium-tech with good ferts and decent lights but I don't do co2... yet. Tank dimensions are 48"L x 16.5"W x 24.5"H which adds up to 83 gallons.

So I have realized I am absolutely heart set on corydoras, probably triliniatus, and kuhli loaches. Those guys are absolutely going into my tank and anything I put in must be okay with them. I would also like lots of colour, personality, and different species. It's also worth noting I have a QT tank :)

I'll list a few of my favourite ideas so far below:

-Kuhlis and cories
-Cardinal tetras
-Black neon tetras
-Bolivian rams
-BN pleco

#2 (this seems kinda crazy but I like kinda crazy... This is my running favourite. Just think about the blue in the cardinals matching the angel, and the red in the cardinals matching the apistos, and the honeys complimenting that! Of course, this is today's idea.)
-K&C
-Cardinal tetras
-Honey gouramis
-Pair apistogramma cacatuoides
-Single blue angelfish
-Pleco or whiptail catfish

-K&C
-Harem of pearl gouramis
-Harlequin rasboras
-Something blue.... cardinals again??

-K&C
-Assorted mollies
-Pair of electric blue acaras
-Furcatas rainbowfish? Or something else up top... Killifish?

Thanks for being here! Much love to you all!
... I also want to share with you that my dart frogs and my betta are currently having a staring contest. Their tanks are right next to each other, they do this all the time. It's hilarious.

tomiyama

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would do research on the ideal temperature for each of the species to help make your decision (as well as pH). Do a little grid chart :). Also, I have some corydoras trilineatus (love them they are adorable I totally agree with you), and I keep my temperature around 75-76 F. In contrast, I think pearl gourami & cardinal tetras (I have pearl gourami in my other tank) prefer 78-79 F. If you go this route, it may make your decisions easier to make as you are catering to the long term health and happiness of your adorable fishies.

Nataku

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't mix gouramis and angels, they invariably tend to fight. The relatively peaceful and small honey gourami will be mercilessly harrassed by an angel. Also, Angel's are hit and miss with kuhlis. I have had angels that paid no mind to kuhlis so they got on great. I have also had angels that took an interest in kuhlis as what I can only imagine they thought was an oversized bloodworm, and they ate the kuhlis.

Angels also like it warm. Trilineatus, not so much. If you really wanted angels pick a warmer temp tolerant corydoras like c. sterbai, c. Aeneus. C. Adolfoi, c. Brochis.

#1 I'd swap Bolivians for German Blue Rams and set tank temp at 82. Every other fish you listed in this one would be happy at that temp, except the Bolivian, which would want cooler.
Get a long fin bristlenose that either a lemon or albino (yellow) or a red, for that extra pop of color.

#2 pull out the honey gouramis, swap them for another yellow or orange fish like von rio tetras, or lemon tetra or silvertip tetra that will play nicer with the rest of the stock. That change made you have a south american biotope going on here, which are fun.
For the other catfish aside the corydoras, perhaps farlowella catfish? These are a neat although unusual catfish. I'd also suggest red lizard whitetail catfish as another unusual but great colorful tank mate to a south american biotope.

#3 perhaps green tiger barbs for the 'blue fish'? In decent lighting (which you'll have being a planted tank) they rather shine more blue in my experience. Or for other blue schoolers you could look into cochu blue tetra, kerri blue tetra and emperor tetras as alternatives to cardinals.

#4 cant say as I have much of an opinion about this one. Make sure if you have acaras it's well enough planted and decorated to make good line breaks for the acaras when they get testy.

blennylover2323

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
your tank sounds so awesome!! when I planned my tank I had so many ideas and went into the store with a list but I came out with completely different fish than what I had written down, lol. Personally I love list 2, what can I say I'm a sucker for angels! although I would be very careful with the fish you mix with it. people have had difficulty keeping certain types of tetras with angels, mostly it involves some tetras missing... I am not sure if this will happen to your Cardinal tetras but I would rather be safe than sorry. some people have managed to keep them together but personally I wouldn't risk it instead I would go for larger tetras like black phantom tetras and so on. good luck with your tank and keep me updated!! :)

OP
redmare

redmare

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
tomiyama said:
I would do research on the ideal temperature for each of the species to help make your decision (as well as pH). Do a little grid chart :). Also, I have some corydoras trilineatus (love them they are adorable I totally agree with you), and I keep my temperature around 75-76 F. In contrast, I think pearl gourami & cardinal tetras (I have pearl gourami in my other tank) prefer 78-79 F. If you go this route, it may make your decisions easier to make as you are catering to the long term health and happiness of your adorable fishies.
I have this massive document going with basically all info for every species I am interested in! I may swap cardinals for neons in some of these, depending on what else I do. Thank you!
Nataku said:
I wouldn't mix gouramis and angels, they invariably tend to fight. The relatively peaceful and small honey gourami will be mercilessly harrassed by an angel. Also, Angel's are hit and miss with kuhlis. I have had angels that paid no mind to kuhlis so they got on great. I have also had angels that took an interest in kuhlis as what I can only imagine they thought was an oversized bloodworm, and they ate the kuhlis.

Angels also like it warm. Trilineatus, not so much. If you really wanted angels pick a warmer temp tolerant corydoras like c. sterbai, c. Aeneus. C. Adolfoi, c. Brochis.

#1 I'd swap Bolivians for German Blue Rams and set tank temp at 82. Every other fish you listed in this one would be happy at that temp, except the Bolivian, which would want cooler.
Get a long fin bristlenose that either a lemon or albino (yellow) or a red, for that extra pop of color.

#2 pull out the honey gouramis, swap them for another yellow or orange fish like von rio tetras, or lemon tetra or silvertip tetra that will play nicer with the rest of the stock. That change made you have a south american biotope going on here, which are fun.
For the other catfish aside the corydoras, perhaps farlowella catfish? These are a neat although unusual catfish. I'd also suggest red lizard whitetail catfish as another unusual but great colorful tank mate to a south american biotope.

#3 perhaps green tiger barbs for the 'blue fish'? In decent lighting (which you'll have being a planted tank) they rather shine more blue in my experience. Or for other blue schoolers you could look into cochu blue tetra, kerri blue tetra and emperor tetras as alternatives to cardinals.

#4 cant say as I have much of an opinion about this one. Make sure if you have acaras it's well enough planted and decorated to make good line breaks for the acaras when they get testy.
So much good insight!! Thank you!! I love the unusual catfish ideas.
blennylover2323 said:
your tank sounds so awesome!! when I planned my tank I had so many ideas and went into the store with a list but I came out with completely different fish than what I had written down, lol. Personally I love list 2, what can I say I'm a sucker for angels! although I would be very careful with the fish you mix with it. people have had difficulty keeping certain types of tetras with angels, mostly it involves some tetras missing... I am not sure if this will happen to your Cardinal tetras but I would rather be safe than sorry. some people have managed to keep them together but personally I wouldn't risk it instead I would go for larger tetras like black phantom tetras and so on. good luck with your tank and keep me updated!! :)
Thanks for the warning! I keep going back and forth on angels. They're so pretty but I hear so many cautionary tales about them! I will definitely update :) I'm so excited
JettsPapa said:
You mentioned "something blue". Have you considered turquoise rainbowfish?
Oooo, I hadn't at all considered them! They're stunning! Thank you!

Nataku

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A beautiful group! It will be a lively tank with big schools of everybody save the rams. You could probably get away with 4 rams (two male/female pairs) in a tank this size. The rams will come to recognize you and try to beg from you. They're real characters. The rummynose tend to school pretty tight, the cardinals will school more loosely when they become more relaxed.

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just my little knowledge. Cardinals for warmer water. Neons for colder water.
#1 neons instead of Cardinals. Colder temps 78°
#2 lose gourami. Higher temps 80+ only 1 Cory fits sterbi
#3 maybe rainbows instead of Cardinals
#4 I don't know much besides if the acaras don't eat fry then mollies will take over.
I think a large school of 1 or 2 species is better than alot of smaller.

OP
redmare

redmare

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Rcslade124 said:
I think a large school of 1 or 2 species is better than alot of smaller.
I go back and forth on this for my own preference! I think part of why I'm excited about having such a big tank is I get both- A lot of large schools! I totally appreciate the aesthetic of one big school but I really like having different species to watch. In my 10 gal, I have a betta and pygmy cories. I love them dearly! But I started loving the tank even more when I added some cherry shrimp from my other tank, and a few assassin snails. I love all the different things!

OP
redmare

redmare

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Now I'm thinking about making a real SA only tank... I have an empty 30 gal that I will be stocking as well, so maybe I'll put the kuhlis in there and do an Asian theme around them?? Anyone got some advice on how to make that a little more biotope-y?

I'm also totally intrigued by pictus catfish and wondering if I could keep some of those.... There's too many cool fish!

kanzekatores

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
redmare said:
I'm also totally intrigued by pictus catfish and wondering if I could keep some of those.... There's too many cool fish!
I know what you mean haha, it’s hard to decide what to put in there and I can tell you’re indecisive. I liked the first option a little better but it’s you who gets to decide lol. Just remember with the pictus cats they have sharp fins so be careful and don’t transport in a thin bag.

OP
redmare

redmare

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
kanzekatores said:
I know what you mean haha, it’s hard to decide what to put in there and I can tell you’re indecisive. I liked the first option a little better but it’s you who gets to decide lol. Just remember with the pictus cats they have sharp fins so be careful and don’t transport in a thin bag.
I'll probably end up saving the pictus cats for another time in my life. I really like my little fish and those guys have big mouths!

FitSoldier

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've kept a Pictus Catfish once in my peaceful community tank many years ago when I was still in high school. They are schooling fish, but I've only kept one. I had to target feed him/her though as he/she hides most of the time and only comes out for food mostly. They are really cool fish indeed! I've had mine with Guppies, Mollies, Angelfish, Gouramis, Rainbow Shark, some Tetras of some kind, can't remember everything.

New Threads