I Have Returned Three 29 Gallon Tanks In The Last Two Days Due To Them Bowing.

Polav

New Member
Member
Messages
28
Reaction score
3
The one filled up on my back porch also bows significantly. All aqueon, the only brand available to me... I don't know what to do. I spent 300+ on all this orher equipment but I can't even find a safe tank. I'm going insane
 

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,727
Reaction score
4,286
Location
Your Imagination
Experience
5 years
Dumb question, but they're not 29 bowfront tanks right? I believe I saw your other thread on this yesterday. Was it the one asking about a 29 gallon with over a 1/8" bow?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
P

Polav

New Member
Member
Messages
28
Reaction score
3
nikm128 said:
Dumb question, but they're not 29 bowfront tanks right? I believe I saw your other thread on this yesterday. Was it the one asking about a 29 gallon with over a 1/8" bow?
Not a bow front sadly, and yeah that was me. Ive just been told recently that this happens with all aqueon 29 gallons and as well as their 40 breeders and that the tank is safe if it doesn't leak. But now I just don't know...
 

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,727
Reaction score
4,286
Location
Your Imagination
Experience
5 years
Well I can't confirm or deny for the 29g, but I have a 40 breeder...no bow. Like I think I said on the other thread, that's what the cross brace is for, so they don't bow
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
P

Polav

New Member
Member
Messages
28
Reaction score
3
nikm128 said:
Well I can't confirm or deny for the 29g, but I have a 40 breeder...no bow. Like I think I said on the other thread, that's what the cross brace is for, so they don't bow
Have you ever actually taken a 4-5 foot straight edge on the bottom part of the glass and top? I don't have a visible bow, just measurable
 

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,727
Reaction score
4,286
Location
Your Imagination
Experience
5 years
I have, after I filled it I noticed the water wasn't level across the top so I checked for a bow, luckily I had just put the tank a little too far back on the stand so it was leaning slightly. Fixed that by wedging a piece of 2x4 between the top of the stand and the wall, double checked for a bow and there was nothing
 

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,347
Reaction score
9,148
Experience
Just started
Polav said:
Have you ever actually taken a 4-5 foot straight edge on the bottom part of the glass and top? I don't have a visible bow, just measurable
Lol, you're overthinking it. Relax.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
P

Polav

New Member
Member
Messages
28
Reaction score
3
nikm128 said:
So a bow over 1/8" is ok? That seems like a bit much to me, but if I'm wrong I'll take that
I really don't know. What really is baffling me is that all 3 tanks did this, so whether or not its a good thing, aqueon is obviously okay with sending out tanks that bow
 

toosie

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,400
Reaction score
601
Experience
More than 10 years
I had a 33 gallon Hagen tank that I ran for 20 years that would bow slightly (probably a little more than 1/8th of an inch) against the pressure of the water once it was full. It's pretty normal for these tanks. They are under the size where a cross brace becomes necessary, but they do "give" a little as a result. But like I said, I used mine for 20 years without issue. The bow was visible due to the hood having a little extra room in the middle, but it never caused me issues. The only reason I retired it was because the silicone wore away to a point it started to concern me, and I didn't bother resealing it.
 

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,533
Location
Minnesota
Experience
More than 10 years
Polav said:
The one filled up on my back porch also bows significantly.
Does the tank sit on the porch? Are you certain the tank is sitting on a perfectly level surface?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
P

Polav

New Member
Member
Messages
28
Reaction score
3
GuppyDazzle said:
Does the tank sit on the porch? Are you certain the tank is sitting on a perfectly level surface?
Pretty flat, I don't think thatd cause this much of a bow though.

Just had someone tell me they had a 29 gallon aqueon fail after 5 months. So I just don't know what to do haha
 

Skavatar

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,971
Reaction score
2,670
Location
Houston, TX
Experience
2 years
i've had my 29 gallon Aqueon tank for about 8 months, it has a slight bow, like 1/16"
 

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
8,283
Reaction score
11,254
Location
Saratoga NY
Experience
More than 10 years
scarface said:
Lol, you're overthinking it. Relax.
^^^THIS ^^

Polav said:
I really don't know. What really is baffling me is that all 3 tanks did this, so whether or not its a good thing, aqueon is obviously okay with sending out tanks that bow
So clearly all the tanks are made the same ? It would appear that they are fine then ? All my tanks are Aqueon and I have several 29s.I have never really checked ..
I could be called a trusting fool but only one part of that description is really accurate [I have trust issues lol!]..
I would set your tank up and try to relax and enjoy it ..That was the plan right ?
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
164
Guests online
2,733
Total visitors
2,897

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom