I Have Returned Three 29 Gallon Tanks In The Last Two Days Due To Them Bowing.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Polav, May 6, 2019.

1. Polav

PolavNew MemberMember

The one filled up on my back porch also bows significantly. All aqueon, the only brand available to me... i dont know what to do. I spent 300+ on all this orher equipment but i cant even find a safe tank. Im going insane

2. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Dumb question, but they're not 29 bowfront tanks right? I believe I saw your other thread on this yesterday. Was it the one asking about a 29g with over a 1/8" bow?

3. OP
    OP
    Polav

PolavNew MemberMember

Not a bow front sadly, and yeah that was me. Ive just been told recently that this happens with all aqueon 29 gallons and as well as their 40 breeders and that the tank is safe if it doesnt leak. But now i just dont know...

4. nikm128

Well I can't confirm or deny for the 29g, but I have a 40 breeder...no bow. Like I think I said on the other thread, that's what the cross brace is for, so they don't bow

5. OP
    OP
    Polav

PolavNew MemberMember

Have you ever actually taken a 4-5 foot straight edge on the bottom part of the glass and top? I dont have a visible bow, just measurable

6. nikm128

I have, after I filled it I noticed the water wasn't level across the top so I checked for a bow, luckily I had just put the tank a little too far back on the stand so it was leaning slightly. Fixed that by wedging a piece of 2x4 between the top of the stand and the wall, double checked for a bow and there was nothing

7. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Lol, you're overthinking it. Relax.

8. nikm128

So a bow over 1/8" is ok? That seems like a bit much to me, but if I'm wrong I'll take that

9. OP
    OP
    Polav

PolavNew MemberMember

I really dont know. What really is baffling me is that all 3 tanks did this, so whether or not its a good thing, aqueon is obviously okay with sending out tanks that bow

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  10. toosie

toosieFishlore VIPMember

I had a 33 gallon Hagen tank that I ran for 20 years that would bow slightly (probably a little more than 1/8th of an inch) against the pressure of the water once it was full. It's pretty normal for these tanks. They are under the size where a cross brace becomes necessary, but they do "give" a little as a result. But like I said, I used mine for 20 years without issue. The bow was visible due to the hood having a little extra room in the middle, but it never caused me issues. The only reason I retired it was because the silicone wore away to a point it started to concern me, and I didn't bother resealing it.

11. GuppyDazzle

GuppyDazzleWell Known MemberMember

Does the tank sit on the porch? Are you certain the tank is sitting on a perfectly level surface?

12. OP
    OP
    Polav

PolavNew MemberMember

Pretty flat, I dont think thatd cause this much of a bow though.

Just had someone tell me they had a 29 gallon aqueon fail after 5 months. So I just dont know what to do haha

13. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

i've had my 29g Aqueon tank for about 8 months, it has a slight bow, like 1/16"

14. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

^^^THIS ^^

So clearly all the tanks are made the same ? It would appear that they are fine then ? All my tanks are Aqueon and I have several 29s.I have never really checked ..
    I could be called a trusting fool but only one part of that description is really accurate [I have trust issues lol!]..
    I would set your tank up and try to relax and enjoy it ..That was the plan right ?