I have rainbowfish fry growing in my tub!

Huckleberry77

I thought my 1st summer tubbing attempt had failed to produce any Melanotaenia Praecox- Pagai fry despite being told they were “dead easy” to breed. I had an ammonia spike probably due to feeding bloodworms daily and I had to pull out the adults in an emergency evacuation situation. I had not been able to see any fry in weeks and previously only saw 2 freshly hatched swimmers. i was about to get a goldfish to occupy the tub when my friend looked carefully and spotted a couple fry! Later my dad suggested putting a piece of white plastic in there to help us see better. We did, and I was pleasantly surprised to learn I have a tub full of fry! I am super excited! But these tiny babies need to get growing before fall rolls around! Picture is of the parents.
1F85DFC6-157F-498D-98FC-BBF2E4DC34A4.jpeg

Flyfisha

The Praecox rainbow is a fish I have ,they are like other rainbows and takes a long time to grow. Perhaps you will have to put a tub indoors for them to grow a bit bigger before adding to an adult fish tank?

Huckleberry77

The Praecox rainbow is a fish I have ,they are like other rainbows and takes a long time to grow. Perhaps you will have to put a tub indoors for them to grow a bit bigger before adding to an adult fish tank?
Yes, I expect to have to do something like that. Have not sorted out all the details yet though. How big are two month old fry?

Flyfisha

I can’t say how big your fry will be at two months there are to many variables. I think even with idea conditions and ideal food they would still be under an inch?

Huckleberry77

I can’t say how big your fry will be at two months there are to many variables. I think even with idea conditions and ideal food they would still be under an inch?
Right now they are about 1/8” to 1/4” in size. I’m debating on whether I should add golden pearls or freshly hatched baby brine shrimp to the outdoor tub, or leave them eating naturally occurring foods.

Flyfisha

When I had rainbow fry or any fry that tiny I feed 4 times a day.But it’s just a very very very small amount each time. They will eat naturally occurring foods as well.

If you are already hatching baby brine give them a little of that as well. Just avoid big meals or having any uneaten food. With the fine dust dry food you are responsible for adding a very very small amount. Because that is hard to remove.

Have you seen a video of a tiny paint brush being used to flick an extremely small amount of food?

86 ssinit

Yes rainbow fry are small and slow growing. Probably didn’t see the fry cause they were hiding. Parents will eat the fry. They seem to eat anything. I’ve fed first bites and bbs and crushed flake food. Yes you will be moving that tub into the house. Funny thing for me is I’ve moved small amounts 1-10 without a problem but whenever I moved large amounts 10 or better I had die offs. Also can’t mix different ages. If it fits in there mouth they’ll eat it.

Huckleberry77

When I had rainbow fry or any fry that tiny I feed 4 times a day.But it’s just a very very very small amount each time. They will eat naturally occurring foods as well.

If you are already hatching baby brine give them a little of that as well. Just avoid big meals or having any uneaten food. With the fine dust dry food you are responsible for adding a very very small amount. Because that is hard to remove.

Have you seen a video of a tiny paint brush being used to flick an extremely small amount of food?
No I have not seen videos of the paint brush technique. I have heard advice to not feed the fry at all because they’re in a tub and there will be natural foods in there. I’m not exactly sure what strategy I wanna go with right now. I did give them a little tiny pinch of golden pearls last night.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
eirynne
Replies
Views
mcfishface
Replies
Views
Sarah73
Replies
Views