I have pond fish in a twenty gallon tank (not really)

Iluvatar
I have pond fish in a twenty gallon tank

I really only have fish that don't really belong in such a small tank such as two kois and an arowana and I used to have a big common pleco. Just wanted to let people know since sometimes people tell me about stuff but I will hopefully work on it but I don't have sufficient money so I can't get apond or a bigger aquarium and I have this other aquarium that isn't set up with rat urine in it and the guy I got it from used to keep chickens in it and I don't really want to use it even if its washed. I might use itif it is really washed and it needs a lid and filter and other stuff.

sirdarksol
If it is true that you have two koi, an arowana and a pleco in a 20 gallon tank, I would very strongly suggest returning all of them to the petstore. If they survive, they will be very, very uncomfortable. It would be the equivalent of a person living in a 4'x4' room his entire life.

Lucy
I have this other aquarium that isn't set up with rat urine in it and the guy I got it from used to keep chickens in it and I don't really want to use it even if its washed.

Huh?

gremlin
how big are the fish?

Iluvatar
The fish are not so big but I would say they will not so soon but not so late outgrow the tank. But my pond is not even started but have the basic idea of it just need to finish the garden then my dad can get a permit and building will start and the house also needs fixis here and there so it might take a while and I am scared that my fish will die in a small tank. I hope it is finished in time and I am amazed how fast they grow. The more you feed them the more they grow but I have my hopes up.

Angela_96
those fish need a bigger tank, and you are not giving them the home they need, I agree you should take them back to the store until you can afford the proper tank for them. how would you like to be stuffed in a closet w/ about 5 of your best friends for a few weeks until someone could afford a bigger room for you?

gremlin
The arrowana will get VERY big - the koi will continue to grow and will also get quite large. I would return these fish to the store and once you get a pond set up and running, then purchase goldfish (instead of koi). they are cheaper, just as pretty as koi, and more tolerant of varying water conditions.

Iluvatar
I really don't want them to go because I have had them for about four years and they were some of my first fish but the second type of fish I got they went from a ten gallon to a twenty gallon but I might be able to do something such as put them in a bigger tank but the main problem is there is not much space to put the tank and I guess they make a good addition to the living room but the tank is fifty five gallons. I think. I should really stop thinking and start making sure but that tank cando for now. Can it?I hope it can but it needs a real good wash before I add water and fish. I think it can do for a few months while they outgrow it. I will try to completely disinfict it and the fish aren't that big but need their space. They still have growing room.

fishonthebrain
is the 55 gal where the chickens and rats were? bit confused here. if so I think I read some where that it was unhealthy for a tank that had other animals in it for fish in it afterwards something about the urine possibly poisoning the fish. not sure can't remember to well

hockeyref88
Dude you need to think about what your doing because right now you are not doing the right thing for these fish. Take the fish back to the store until you can house them properly.

Iluvatar
I hope that helps you decide. I really really don't want to give them back is it enough for now or a few months keeping in mind they grow pretty fast. They grew like that in four years and my friend's grew a lot faster.

Shawnie
I hope that helps you decide. I really really don't want to give them back is it enough for now or a few months keeping in mind they grow pretty fast. They grew like that in four years and my friends grew a lot faster.

decide what? there's really nothing to decide.those fish are too big for that tank

Iluvatar
I know it but don't want to except it. I just don't want them to go.

Shawnie
well I know you don't want them to die...so at least try to get a bigger tank or see if someone with a bigger tank wants them..right?

Iluvatar
Can they be there for two more months? THen I will setup a larger tank for them. I wish they could saty there for two more monnths. I hope they can.

Shawnie
you can keep them there as long as you want, they are your fish..but they might not live..they have been in that tank for 4 years and I'm very surprised they haven't died...a single koi needs a lot more space not to mention the arowana..you take a chance everyday of them not making it..but in the end, its your choice not anyone elses

Iluvatar
That dose not make me feel better but I don't think I can set up a tank in a porch or can I but I need something fast and my mom said that I should set it up on the porch but is that okay? There is not much room in the house and people could jump the fence and steel my fish but I have dogs don't I. I am still very sad. So sad that I don't want to post a sad face. Dont mind my signiture that sadens me more.

Angela_96
have you ever heard of a group called "monster fish rescue" ? they are put together for people like you to get fish off you hands when you cannot properly house them. your fish are widely known for not being housed in tanks sufficent enough. I would look them up and get in touch with those people, then you could feel good about giving up your fish, those people would baby your fish and find good homes for them.

Barbrella
The issue isn't always what we want, but what is best for the animals.

Do you know that arowanas grow to be 4 foot long, voracious predators that can leap 6 feet out of the water to catch prey?

Keeping one in such incredibly cramped condition is not humane.

Check out these arowanas in a 50,000 gallon tank and you'll realize you need to do the right thing.

Iluvatar
So can I just sell the arowana and put the kois in a larger tank or pond?They get big too. Around three feet. Butthey haven't grown much in my tank.

hockeyref88
So can I just sell the arowana and put the kois in a larger tank or pond?They get big too. Around three feet. Butthey haven't grown much in my tank.

Jonathon...........Everyone on here has tried to help you with advice about your fish........Right now what you have set up is NOT a good and healthy environment for your fish. The tank you have is WAY too small. The fish you have do NOT belong in that tank and do NOT belong together. Koi do NOT belong with preditory fish like Arowana's period. Now you can do what you want, but anything but separating them and putting them into much larger tanks would nothing but cruel. Koi really belong only in ponds. At this point its pure luck these fish are still alive so do them a favor and do the right thing and either get them into there own larger tanks or take them somewhere where they can be housed properly until you can care for them properly.

gremlin
How much room do you have on your porch? I would not use the 55 gal that had other animals in it. It is too difficult to guarantee that you could completely disinfect it (the sealant that holds it together could have urine soaked into it that could leach back into the water). As a TEMPORARY measure, you could house them in a large storage bin (the 50 gal tupperware or sterilite rectangle storage containers) on your porch. If you do this, bear in mind the containers are not designed to hold that amount of water weight. You would have to support the sides. a better idea would be to build some type of wooden framework and put a pond liner in it or get a prefab pond and set that up on your porch. The prefab ponds are great for goldfish and come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. If it has shelves, make sure you support them (I used block under the shelves in my first prefab). That would leave the 20 gallon as a temporary home for the arrowana. Moving the goldfish to a separate tank/pond would help with the bioload on the 20 gal. I don't know that much about the arrowana, but the goldfish should do ok outside. here is a couple pics of my pond. It gets morning sun and I have an external pressure filter that feeds the two waterfalls. I built up a wall around where I wanted the pond and put in a prefab pond. It is supported with dirt filled in all around and I planted dichondra (grass) and several types of thyme since I needed something that could handle the summer heat and full morning sun without baking.

hockeyref88
How much room do you have on your porch? I would not use the 55 gal that had other animals in it. It is too difficult to guarantee that you could completely disinfect it (the sealant that holds it together could have urine soaked into it that could leach back into the water). As a TEMPORARY measure, you could house them in a large storage bin (the 50 gal tupperware or sterilite rectangle storage containers) on your porch. If you do this, bear in mind the containers are not designed to hold that amount of water weight. You would have to support the sides. a better idea would be to build some type of wooden framework and put a pond liner in it or get a prefab pond and set that up on your porch. The prefab ponds are great for goldfish and come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. If it has shelves, make sure you support them (I used block under the shelves in my first prefab). That would leave the 20 gallon as a temporary home for the arrowana. Moving the goldfish to a separate tank/pond would help with the bioload on the 20 gal. I don't know that much about the arrowana, but the goldfish should do ok outside. here is a couple pics of my pond. It gets morning sun and I have an external pressure filter that feeds the two waterfalls. I built up a wall around where I wanted the pond and put in a prefab pond. It is supported with dirt filled in all around and I planted dichondra (grass) and several types of thyme since I needed something that could handle the summer heat and full morning sun without baking.

Nice pond Gremlin!!................those arn't gold fish in that 20 gal, there KOI.

Lucy
Really nice job, gremlin!
Doing an above ground pre-fab is an excellent suggestion.

Shawnie
that pond is awesome gremlin!!

but those fish jonathan has, have been in that 20 gallon for 4 years!!

koi & arowana together for that long, I'm surprised there is any koi left as well as the arowana still is living...

Angela_96
that pond is awesome gremlin!!

but those fish jonathan has, have been in that 20 gallon for 4 years!!

koi & arowana together for that long, I'm surprised there is any koi left as well as the arowana still is living...

The arowana is the prime reason I think he should contact the monster fish rescue group, not only that I am sure the koi would be canidates too, they are fish that will grow to great lenths if given the oppourtunity.

One fish that I know of locally that people keep in their aquariums is the gar fish, I cannot wait to get out and get some video and pics of them so everyone can see them in the wild. Thes fish normally are 4-5 feet long just like the arowana. So when people put them in their fish tanks they can see how big these fish can grow in their natural enviroments (that size is on average I have seen them even bigger growing up on the lakes here in TN)

Iluvatar
I have a great idea to raise the level of water with bricks or stone to build a pond much faster.But I still have those fish. Wich I ment I still need to get them somewhere.

hockeyref88
I have a great idea to raise the level of water with bricks or stone to build a pond much faster.But I still have those fish.

You still need to find a home for the arowana and you need to do it soon. And the pond for the koi should be at least 500 gallons.

Lucy
Thanks to the caring experienced fish keepers who are trying to help get these fish into proper housing.

I don't mean to be rude, but am I the only one who finds that pic of the arowana sad?

hockeyref88
Thanks to the caring experienced fish keepers who are trying to help get these fish into proper housing.

I don't mean to be rude, but am I the only one who finds that pic of the arowana sad?

I don't find it rude at all Lucy................I'm trying not to say what I really think to this young man and I don't think he get's how wrong it is to have these fish in that aquarium. I find the picture extremely sad. I just don't think he understands its not about his feelings, its about what's right for these fish.

Shawnie
I'm assuming, hes too young to understand...hence the back n forths...but I always know what happens when I "assume"

hockeyref88
I'm assuming, hes too young to understand...hence the back n forths...but I always know what happens when I "assume"

Yeah I know but I want those fish out of there.........Just knowing there in there buggs me...........I know its none of my business but I feel for those guy's. I keep seeing the post and saying to myself, OK I'm not going to respond to that anymore and then I do. I'm a nuthouse sometimes.

Shawnie
Yeah I know but I want those fish out of there.........Just knowing there in there buggs me...........I know its none of my business but I feel for those guy's. I keep seeing the post and saying to myself, OK I'm not going to respond to that anymore and then I do. I'm a nuthouse sometimes.

arent we all? ;D

Barbrella
Yes, it's very sad and makes me feel ill, to be honest. I blame the petstores for this. How many 2" arowanas have they sold to people (even to kids) to put into 10 or 20 gal tanks?

It's time for the pet industy to find some ethics and take some responsibility for what they sell and condemn to fates like this.

Many people seem to see fish as less than living, breathing creatures who deserve proper care, and see nothing wrong with abuse or neglect.

Angela_96

I wish there was a way to get it through to him that he should turn over all the fish to the fishstore! but you can lead a horse to water.....

hockeyref88
I wish there was a way to get it through to him that he should turn over all the fish to the fishstore! but you can lead a horse to water.....

I know. He just does not want to believe this is wrong.

Angela_96
I know. He just does not want to believe this is wrong.

Well to be blunt about the situation, he came on this whole post "bragging" about it, by saying he had a couple of pond fish in a 20 gallon tank and an Arowana along w/ it. Not to mention this is the same person who had drank fish tank water, and won a goldfish at a fair and defended the fair venders right to give out the goldfish. (who knows what the goldfish is being kept in now?) So.. obviously and very sadly I am getting that neither the koi or the arowana are going to be properly housed, even if this person came onto this forum to get advice for proper fish keeping.
There, I finally said what was on my mind....

Lucy
:-\ Oh dear, I sure didn't mean to start anything. I think I should log off now and shut up.

Shawnie
I just think he is young and niave...unfort we can give advice as many have, but its his choice...and hopefully with age will come wisdom

Barbrella
Oh dear, I sure didn't mean to start anything

You didn't start anything, nor did you say anything improper! No one is being rude. There's a difference between rudeness and bluntness, and sometimes we must be blunt or emphatic in defense of those who have no voice.

At least we can say we tried.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jenmur
Replies
Views
Discus-Tang
Replies
Views
TamiR
Replies