I have no self control!!

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just bought a new betta! A female this time. It was an impulse decision. She currently has no home, but my main tank will be her home as soon as it finishes cycling, so for now (while I am at work) she is in the cup, but when I get home, I will put her in a net breeder in Spikes tank (a male).
Do you think that will be too stressful, or should I put her in a large jar until the tank cycles? Or should I risk death and buy a new tank?

PS I will post pics later.

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Genie, you go girl!!!! ;D Another lucky Betta. We are all certifiable I think....LOLOl......if it were me, I would at least buy like a small betta tank to put her in ....I am not sure about the net breeder, but I am sure someone with more experience will post to help you.

In Canada, I paid $30 for the 1.66g with airstone and light( which heats the water almost to 80) so that would probably sell in the States for $15.....LOL. the good part is they take up no room at all........and I don't feel as guilty about the small size since wise Rose reminded us that hospital tanks are small so they are easier and less expensive to medicate which makes perfect sense ( why didn't I think of that??) LOLOL. So....as long as it is temporary......

**** I have to get off the computer, I keep coming back to it to read new posts...I need to do some work :-[!!! Again, best wishes!!!!!!!

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Say Hello to the Beautiful Lila. The pics might not be that great.

Shastam

Reaction score
Congrats !!! She's very beautiful! I agree with at least picking up a small betta home for a temporary place. Its better than a cup or a net for just a short time.

Since getting Samson I've been itching to get another betta too! Its so hard to go to stores and not take one home! I just keep reminding myself that I have to get Samson healthy first, but since I'm changing my old 10 gal tank to a peaceful tropical tank, I think I'm going to give in and bring one betta home for that tank, and then desgin around that!

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
my husband is so gonna kill me!! Maybe I will get another tank for the office.

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Genie said:
my husband is so gonna kill me!! Maybe I will get another tank for the office.
LOL Genie....nah, he won't, we underestimate them. When my husband saw Storm he just shook his head...and I had to remind him Storm was easier to keep than chickens and a goat - which is what I really want..LOL ;D

He agreed, and then when he saw how weak Storm is, he melted too...........

I love her name Lila, and the white bettas are wonderful!! She is a beautiful & lucky girl. Good luck with husband..lol..

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Aaww, she's so cute! Congrats! She looks a lot like the female I almost got yesterday. The one I saw was a double pointed crowntail with the same coloring as Lila but she had a big belly full of eggs and I was worried she might become eggbound and die.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well done Genie! she's a beauty. maybe one of those minibow 2.5 gallon kits at wallyworld for about $26 would work?

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Beautiful girl, and Lila is a lovely name. As one betta lover to another, I have no self control either LOL. There are so many bettas out there just begging to be loved!

CherryRose

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The small tanks make good TEMPORARY homes like for weeks (2 or 3) but not permanent homes, sorry. They make great hospital tanks or quarantine tanks but that is all. If you intend to keep the fish forever you need a forever home eventually that is at least 3 gallons and more preferably 5 gallons or over.

Now to the subject of putting a female in a community tank. I should remind everyone that the female betta can and has been known to be more ferocious than the male here recently at times. If you are lucky and get a real calm sweetheart fine but just because she loves you that does not mean that she is going to accept other fish. They are "human" fish and not used to other species of fish. My last female killed 4 other female bettas and 3 cories and 2 otos and would I am sure have killed any other fish I put in the tank with her but she finally had a tank to herself until she died. Others have tried to have a female betta tank and found trouble doing it with just betta females. Always have a back-up plan when you try to introduce a female betta into a tank of fish that she is not acquainted with or other fish into her tank which is even more dangerous.

Now enough of my being the old nay-sayer and I want to congratulate you on a beautiful and very nicely named little lady.

I am happy for the two of you and welcome LILA

Rose

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
chickadee said:
  My last female killed 4 other female bettas and 3 cories and 2 otos and would I am sure have killed any other fish I put in the tank with her but she finally had a tank to herself until she died.  Others have tried to have a female betta tank and found trouble doing it with just betta females. 
LOL I see a sci-fi movie here.................

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
voiceless_kat said:
LOL I see a sci-fi movie here.................
especially if you add the vampire bettas.

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Phloxface said:
Aaww, she's so cute! Congrats! She looks a lot like the female I almost got yesterday. The one I saw was a double pointed crowntail with the same coloring as Lila but she had a big belly full of eggs and I was worried she might become eggbound and die.
You don't happen to live in Altoona, PA?? I was in walmart trying to find a suitable home for Lila and I saw a female crowntail betta that looked egg laden, and she had the same coloring as Lila. I wanted to bring her home but since Lila was "out in the cold" so to speak, I couldn't bring home another. But I wanted to. I think the females are taking over my heart.

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
chickadee said:
Now to the subject of putting a female in a community tank.  I should remind everyone that the female betta can and has been known to be more ferocious than the male here recently at times.  If you are lucky and get a real calm sweetheart fine but just because she loves you that does not mean that she is going to accept other fish.  They are "human" fish and not used to other species of fish.  My last female killed 4 other female bettas and 3 cories and 2 otos and would I am sure have killed any other fish I put in the tank with her but she finally had a tank to herself until she died.  Others have tried to have a female betta tank and found trouble doing it with just betta females.  Always have a back-up plan when you try to introduce a female betta into a tank of fish that she is not acquainted with or other fish into her tank which is even more dangerous.

Now enough of my being the old nay-sayer and I want to congratulate you on a beautiful and very nicely named little lady.

I am happy for the two of you and welcome LILA

Rose
I agree. My all female tank ended within 5 days when, after 5 days of seemingly getting along really nicely, they started trying to kill each other.  I separated them just in time.
I recently added a snail into the tank of my LEAST aggressive female, Aenara, who never even defended herslef in the all female tank... she ended up killing the snail within minutes! This was just her overly aggressive curiousity... Had the snail (or another fish) actually challenged her she would have become a lot more aggressive. Female Bettas get more and more aggressive as they age. Even if it works out at first, sooner or later they will become territorial and begin nipping and chasing and stressing the other inhabitants. The thing about Bettas is, they are not community fish. In the wild they are very solitary fish, including the females. The only time they get near another fish is when spawning and as soon as that is over they go their separate ways. A lot of community tropical fish are schooling fish or fish that share their environment peacefully with other fish in the wild.
That's not to say that a lot of people haven't successfully kept Bettas in community tanks, but I have to wonder if the Betta isn't stressed all the time feeling like it has to defend it's space against other invaders. If this was a VERY large tank like 55+ gallons, and there were very few other fish then maybe they could keep their distance.
If space or cost is a consideration then a large Kritter Keeper makes a nice home for a Betta and takes up very little room. It's big enough for a heater and you can get a small internal Tetra Whisper 3i filter that both filterates and aerates the water, and it's very cheap to buy.

Genie, no I live in Toronto, Canada and get all my Bettas at Petsmart. I'm always so torn between the males and females... I'm worried the males will end up in vases and bowls or a toddler's nightlight and I worry the females will end up in all female Betta tanks when people believe the stupid fish store people that female Bettas can get along peacefully.  People buy them with the best of intentions and end up with them dieing one after another. It's hard to know which fate is worse.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Genie said:
You don't happen to live in Altoona, PA?? I was in walmart trying to find a suitable home for Lila and I saw a female crowntail betta that looked egg laden, and she had the same coloring as Lila. I wanted to bring her home but since Lila was "out in the cold" so to speak, I couldn't bring home another. But I wanted to. I think the females are taking over my heart.
I'm glad you're still alive today & your husband didn't kill you. Did you find a home for Lila? The 2.5 gallon that i mentioned as a nice q/h tank had a 5 gallon bowfront beside it that might make a good office tank.

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
right now she is in one of those kritter keepers that I got for free and forgot I had. I was thinking about getting a 10 gallon and dividing it, because I may be given another female betta.
This is awful, but a lady I work with, her daughter has been given a science project assignment that requires a female betta. She has to put her (in a seperate tank) beside a male betta and record the differences in agression between the 2 sexes for a whole week. They already have a male, so I told her I would take the female when the assignment was over with. I hope it doesn't stress her too much, or kill her.

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
LOL Genie ....the regulars on this forum crack me up....think how fun it would be if we were meeting once a week in person....LOL. I was wondering what your hubby's reaction was??? You r still posting, & lining up for another fish, so it must have been positive.....Yay!!

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, he hasn't said a word, which is usually the "quiet before the storm" but I'm not scared! And Lila is turning out to be a real treat. She has learned that if she isnt getting enough attention, she can push the gravel against the glass to make noise.
Sigh-- if only I had the room for 10 more!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lol.. if we got together you know what would happen? we'd go to the store and come out with a bunch of new rescue bettas.

Lila's a little smart one.. i love how smart the females are. My wife likes to say it's the same with humans as bettas, females are smarter.

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
High praises to your wife, I totally agree!

that is neat that Lila is being a little darling, Genie....lucky you!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom