I Have No Idea

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by boate1997, Jul 18, 2017.

1. boate1997

boate1997Valued MemberMember

f770d442192c92c0d156cfa90ca78921.jpg
    This was dropped off at my lfs and they had no idea what fish it is. I am curious to know. It is about a foot in lenght.

2. OP
    OP
    boate1997

I realize the face is blocked but one defining feature is ut has small whiskers like a koi has.

3. tunafax

tunafaxWell Known MemberMember

Lol I genuinely wanted this to be a common carp because that would be hilarious.

But the dorsal fin doesn't match, red fin tips, and it's too skinny. Aww. Good luck, I'm curious too.

4. Cheesearmada

CheesearmadaValued MemberMember

Looks like a freshwater common roach.

5. KinsKicks

KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

It looks malnurished for sure.

I've looked at thousands of koi and the shape is wrong and the coloration is off as well, so I'm nearly sure it isn't a koi.

I was thinking of a roach carp instead

Edit: beat by @Cheesearmada

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  6. Cheesearmada

Yes it is definitely malnourished. Just search "roach fish" in your search engine.

7. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Grass carp. Not 100% sure on that. Would like to see the mouth and the caudal fin looks a bit too deeply forked.

8. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

The body is too rounded and torpedo shaped, which lead me to believe grass carp more than roach. roach has a more flattened body.

9. Cheesearmada

Its a roach, if you notice the fins have little red tips on them. Grass carp don't really have those features.

10. OP
    OP
    boate1997

Yeah it matvhes that perfectly.

11. OP
    OP
    boate1997

Question now is can i get it and put it um my pond, i have comets in there and it looks stunted.

12. tunafax

tunafaxWell Known MemberMember

I'm cracking up - is this a grocery store rescue?

13. Cheesearmada

I'd ask the people down in the ponds section.

14. OP
    OP
    boate1997

I have no idea. I think it was kept ing a 55 for its life

15. KinsKicks

You can put it in your pond, but they do get to a good size; it might be stunted, but I think putting it in your pond than it living its life out in an LFS tank

what kind of pond?

16. OP
    OP
    boate1997

Its a 75 gallon plastic tub but i am upgrading right now to a 100 gallon stock tank with a 35 gallon over head sump.

17. KinsKicks

Unless I miscounted, Roach have 35 lateral scales, which I did count. And grass have 42.

And it still might be pretty young, they have the torpedo shape as juveniles/sub-adults, and when get older, then they get that nice flat look to them

18. OP
    OP
    boate1997

Well i will go there tomorrow and see how much they want it for. They my cut me a deal for iding the fish.

19. KinsKicks

You "could" since they usually get up to a little more than a foot. but its not uncommon for them to get twice that size, and 100g is pretty small for these fish. And if I'm wrong, and it is a grass carp, those guys get even bigger.

Imo, I think 100g is too small for any carp (koi included) or the common goldfishes...do you have any other plan for your pond instead?

20. OP
    OP
    boate1997

I could go with the 2ftx2ftx6ft 169 gallon stock tank

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice