I Have No Idea What He Is

sierrah766

Valued Member
Reaction score
I just got this fish from an assorted community tank and he’s so stupid looking. I have no idea what he is. Could anyone let me know what they think
IMG_1307.jpg
IMG_1305.jpg
IMG_1304.jpg
Image1525483150.053774.jpg

CraniumRex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How big a tank do you have? They get huge, as gourami's go, like 8-12" huge, and can live for up to 25 years. He'll need a 55 at least, and do watch him with smaller fish - they can be bullies.

That first picture is him having an argument with himself - that "kissing" is aggression.

sierrah766

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh man I had no idea, I have a 20g he was in the store with a bunch of community fish so I thought he would be alright. Thank you

sierrah766

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I’ll try to move him into a bigger tank. Hes tiny right now so he should be good until I can move him. For $2.99 I got a 25 year commitment lol

CraniumRex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I’ve never returned or rehomed a fish but it’s an option. I do admire your spirit!!

Just don’t wait until he gets big to move him. Not sure how much experience you have but, while a fish will limit its outer growth to suit the environment, their insides don’t and it can be painful for them.

On the plus side a 55 gallon tank is much easier to maintain!

sierrah766

Valued Member
Reaction score
Not much experience I’ve kept a guppy tank for about 6 months and have had bettas but that’s all. Unfortunately I live in a condo so I can’t get a big tank the max they allow is 20g but I’m moving in July do you think he’ll be ok till then, if not I’ll see if the store will take him back

CraniumRex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Gosh he’ll be fine until July. The thing you have to consider I guess is your other stock and if his eventual size will be problematic for them in the long run.

I have no experience with kissing gouramis but have read that their temperaments can be ... bullyish. Even smaller gouramis can present with less than community tank worthy behaviour. Heavy planting with lots of hiding places can help diminish this.

I’d read up on them and decide if he will be a long term fit for you and your other stock. He might also be a peaceful giant (or like 1/6 of my Bolivian rams, a complete dink you have to separate from everyone)

Edited to add: Don’t worry about your experience level! You have a great resource here and everyone started somewhere.

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CraniumRex said:
That first picture is him having an argument with himself - that "kissing" is aggression.
No it isn't, it's the fish trying to eat. It's how they rasp algae off rocks and plants.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Kissing gourami often do that as a sign of aggression, have you ever seen two fight? It's part of how they get their name because they lip lock and it looks like kissing... very deceiving. And dang you're an awesome person most of these guys don't get anywhere near the right care and you're totally willing to give him the right tank and everything when you can. That's really great! Also, moving tanks is tricky but a lot of people on here have great experience doing so, so they'll be able to help when the time comes. Good luck!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom