I have Nitrites!!!!

1. Mothercrow

Mothercrow Well Known Member Member

You would never believe that my household could be in such an uproar over a vial of water!

pH 7.8
    Ammonia .25ppm (yesterday .50ppm)
    Nitrites .25ppm
    Nitrates 5ppm
    Dosed Prime for the entire tank, dosed Stability

I've been so focused on getting nitrites that I just realized that I don't quite know what to do next. Tomorrow is my weekly water change, I was planning on doing a good vacuum, taking apart the filter and cleaning the parts, rinsing the cartridge and biomax, adding more biomax if I can fit it, and wiping the aquarium walls because we are getting a bit of a green tint. Advice welcome!

2. TheKiwi

TheKiwi Valued Member Member

Gasp. Congrats! Sorta halfway there!

I'm sure you know this already, but just in case, "rinsing" = with tank water, not tap! Don't wanna end up restarting the cycle!

In any case you asked what you should do next and the answer is really: keep up the patience and continue with what you've been doing: water changes and testing the water daily

Wait a sec. Are you doing a fish-in cycle? If so, are you dosing prime daily?

3. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Are you cycling? If so then all is going according to plan. Just keep it up and eventually nitrites will turn to nitrates.

4. OP
    OP
    Mothercrow

Mothercrow Well Known Member Member

Yup, I know about rinsing in tank water. I do it during water changes.

Yes, I'm doing a fish-in cycle. I'm testing for ammonia and nitrites every day, and dosing with Prime for the whole tank every day. I do water changes when ammonia/nitrites together are 1ppm or over, but a minimum of once a week.

I think my tank is at 54 days running, so I'm pretty excited to see progress!

5. TheKiwi

TheKiwi Valued Member Member

Oh terrific. It's certainly taken quite long for you to see nitrites, but hey practice wise you seem on point. Good luck and keep at it!