I have nitrates using driftwood! Wooo

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I went to the LFS Monday getting dog food and an API master test kit and while checking out I asked them if they had any old filters, etc that I could jump start my tank with. They didn't. And then I went to Petco two days ago to gaze at fish. I saw where they were selling sunken driftwood in one of the tanks. And I started thinking. Surely the drift wood would have the good stuff on it and it would help seed my tank and move the cycle along a little faster. So I bought two pieces and two moss balls (cuz I thought they were cute). So all of that went into the big tank Wed night. I refused to let myself test yesterday. Tested this morning and Voila!! My nitrites are up 2 (they were at .5) and nitrates is between 0 and .5 (was a for sure 0 before). So it's not alot of nitrates but at least i've bypassed the long waiting-on-the-nitrates stage. So the drift wood and moss balls is working for me. Just thought I'd pass that along to someone else as an idea for speeding the tank cycle along.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hopefully, you're almost cycled! *doing the cycled tank dance of joy*

That said, when you first get a liquid kit, you have to bash and bang and smash that nitrate reagent bottle to break up the crystals inside in order to get your true readings. I mean really bash it. Then shake it. Did you do that?

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No I didn't! Dern. How could that have affected the test?

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Because you'll get false readings. If you don't break up the crystals in the reagent, then the reagent won't work for you.

brodylane1122

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
LyndaB said:
That said, when you first get a liquid kit, you have to bash and bang and smash that nitrate reagent bottle to break up the crystals inside in order to get your true readings. I mean really bash it. Then shake it. Did you do that?
I usually bash it on my hand two or three times for about 20-30 seconds each time. And a few hits on my counter once. After that, I do the test, going through the 30 second and 1 minute shaking/bashing again! Maybe a little over board, but just giving you my method.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It beats having to take anger management classes......

Matt B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LyndaB said:
Because you'll get false readings. If you don't break up the crystals in the reagent, then the reagent won't work for you.
It's nitrate test bottle #2 you need to be concerned about and after a couple initial tests using the bash/bang method prior to testing, in my case anyway, just shaking it according to the directions is enough. As LyndaB mentioned this is mainly a problem when you first get the kit as its been sitting on shelves and had plenty of time to settle.

brodylane1122

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
LyndaB said:
It beats having to take anger management classes......
And it's a great bicep workout!

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well crud. Yall are a bunch of bubble busters. Let me go release some stress on my nitrate bottle and test again

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just tested again and I def have nitrates at about 5. Just to make double sure I used my test strips too.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads