I Have Just Done My First Water Change And Now Lots Of White 'dust' Has Appeared In The Tank Help

1. S

Sonny1993 New Member Member

Hello, I have a 120 litre tank which contains six male mollies. I have just done my first water change, and removed around 25% of the water in the tank. I have now noticed a sort of white sediment that you can only see when you are really close to the tank. I have attached a few images. I'd be grateful for any help/advice.

IMG_2346.JPG
    IMG_2345.JPG IMG_2344.JPG

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Did you vacuum the bottom? Because from a distance, it looks like dust rucked up from the substrate. In some cases, it sticks to the glass, and you need to wipe it away with a sponge or some filter floss.

3. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

If this is your first water change I wouldn't worry about it, also don't worry too much when your water gets super foggy in a couple of days. (and if that does happen, resist the urge to do a big water change or dump chemicals in the tank.... just leave it alone).

It looks like the beginnings of a bacterial bloom to me which is SUPER normal in a brand new tank.

4. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

Looking real close at those pics, I'd call that detritus.

Nothing to be concerned about, pretty much every aquarium has detritus. It's just organic debris that settles on the bottom, and the little critters that feed on it (tiny worms, copepods, etc).

1: If you don't have a gravel vac, get one. It will make water changes much cleaner and way easier.
    2: When refilling the tank with new water, are you disturbing the substrate? Lay a plate on top of the gravel and pour new water onto that, as to not disturb the gravel and kick all this stuff up.
    3: Excessive detritus is often caused by overfeeding or under cleaning, or a combination of both. Review your feeding and cleaning routines. Perhaps you should reduce feeding, or increase cleaning.

5. trainandfishguy

trainandfishguy Valued Member Member

Are you using Carbon or Purigen?

6. Ryan Neidinger

Ryan Neidinger Valued Member Member

With the plants I know some have those white specs for nutrients attached to them when they sell them. You might have just loosened them up when you cleaned. Nothing to worry about it will filter through or get sucked out with next water change.

7. l

lol Valued Member Member

The first thing I thought when I saw the first picture is that they could just be microbubbles, caused when you put the new water into the tank, which are completely harmless. My canister filter spews out a whole bunch of them when it returns water to my tank, and on all my tanks, I see microbubbles coming out of my python hose along with the clean water when I do a water change, especially if the water is warmer for some reason. Are they mostly floating upward, or are the specks sort of sinking?

A quick test could just be to pour in more clean (dechlorinated) water as if you were doing another water change, and observe the water near where you're pouring it in, and see if you see these specks appearing. If so, it's likely not detritus!

8. OP
    OP
    S

Sonny1993 New Member Member

Hi everyone, thank you for your responses.

I used this (Gravel Cleaner | Pets At Home) to clean the gravel, which I think is a vac, or is there another piece of equipment I need? Sorry, I don't really know much at the moment. This is only my fourth day with fish and the pet shop didn't really explain any of this to me when I said this is my first fish.

When I refilled the water, I tried to slowly pour the new water in but didn't use a plate or anything so I probably did disturb the substrate, I will try it with a plate next time!

I think I have also overfed them a little so will be sure to cut back on this. I read the forum post on here for beginners that explains their stomachs are about the size of their eyes.

We are using Carbon.

They are floating upward, but then when they reach the surface I think the filter pushes it away and then back under the water.