I have interesting fry

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have one adult male platy and four adult female platies. The male is a dawn (or parrot...depending on who you ask what color he is) platy. The females are as follows: three sunset coral dwarfs and one blue rainbow wag. Anyway, I've got some interesting fry currently. The first couple of batches (whose population have been kept way down because of all the good-sized adult fish, including four female bettas) were sunset corals and I have a couple that look like they're going to end up being dawn/parrots like their dad. I have one who looks like he's going to be dark grey. However, I have three newer babies (probably about 1-2 months old) who are blue with distinct vertical black stripes. Their stripes are thin and there are three or four of them, almost like a tiger barb, but the stripes aren't nearly as thick. The babies hide in the hornwort, so it's hard to get a good picture of them, but I'll try tomorrow and put them up. Anyone ever heard of platies being colored like this? I noticed them a week or two ago and since I noticed them, the stripes are getting darker and more distinct. I did a search on "tiger platy" and none of them look like my babies.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Maybe you've just created a new breed!

How long did it take your fry to get any color? Mine are a month old and still white as the day they were born.

-Lisa

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm guessing they're about 2 months old. I can sex them (so far I've seen one boy and two girls that have this coloring) and they are almost 1" long. I have so much hornwort floating in the top of my tank that I usually don't see any babies until they're big enough to venture into open water without fear of being eaten. It also makes it hard to get pics of them.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That does sounds really cool.

I was looking at Platties here:

But I don't see any that look like what you have.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nope, none of those are like my babies. I got some halfway decent pics this morning. Two of them were deciding to be friendly! They aren't the greatest pics 'cuz half the time as soon as the camera started to take the pic, they decided to move.

68.jpg

69.jpg

70.jpg

^^That's one of my female bettas in that pic...no worries, she's not hunting, she was saying hi to me.
71.jpg

72.jpg

73.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom