I Have Got A New Tank

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by canwill, Apr 17, 2017.

1. c

canwill New Member Member

I am a complete newbie in this. I just bought a new tank and fitted it up with proper filters and everything. I bought a couple of fishes like black molly, swordtails and betta. All of them are doing well and swimming peacefully. :)

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

You might be in for a rude awaking. Have you cycled the tank? This means that you should have the tank with no fish in it for a few weeks, likely more 4-5 weeks as the tank goes through the cycle. By doing this the filters will build up the good bacteria that needs your little ecosystem aquarium to thrive in. By ignoring this step your putting fish in harms way and likely die due to the high ammonia that will come during the cycle. Think of it as you transplanting yourself from a farm land area where the air is clean and moving to a foreign country for a new job but there are a ton of pollution problems. Your body isn't going to like it.

You should read up on the fishless cycle and/or read up on the tank cycle. I hope your fish does well but the odds are not in their favor and you'll get fusterated with this hobby.

The good news is that your not the only person that has done this. A lot of us probably started this way. Best thing to do is wait for a few weeks or months, test the water and ask lots of question on this forum, it's a great source of information.

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What size tank?

4. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore :) glad you're here! There are lots of people on here ready and willing to help with any questions or problems you may have. Any pics of your tank?

5. tfreema

tfreema Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore!
    Fashooga is right. Here is a link to learn about the nitrogen cycle.
    Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
    Alright so you already have fish in the tank so now the challenge is how to protect your fish from ammonia and nitrite poisoning while the tank cycles.
    We can help you and tag the best members as well.
    If you could answer some questions we can help.
    What size tank?
    What filters are you running?
    What fish and how many?

You will need to decide on a beneficial bacteria supplement. Are you in the US with access to seachem stability or tetra safe start plus (TSS+)? I would strongly recommend prime that will detoxify ammonia and nitrite up to 1ppm. Careful to wait 24 hours before adding TSS+ if you go that route.

More information and advice after we learn more about your setup and fish.

6. FishL:))

FishL:)) Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore!! :)

7. HannahLee

HannahLee New Member Member

Welcome! I am also new. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice