I have finally achieved the phenomenon known as pearling!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks everyone My boyfriend and I decided we like the "natural" bubbles better than airstones.

Keep an eye on CO2. Your plants probably won't pearl early in the photo period, but by mid way through, I would expect to start seeing the pearling again. Remember, plants know what time it is, and their photosythesis replicates the light period. Same as a human gets more productive after it wakes up.
Good to know, that's exactly when it happened for me. I must have a cruddy regulator because it tends to slow down as the day wears on (better than increasing the flow, at least), so I check frequently and make sure it's where I want it. Also keeping an eye on the fishies.

Siggi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The pearling is pure oxygen, released by the plants' leaves.
I wouldn't worry about seeng your fish gasping in the surface, while your plants are pearling!!

Remember to turn the CO2 off during nighttime. If it is DIY (apparently not) it may be safer to get a bubbling-stone in there.

FridayGt

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I use flourish excel in both of my planted tanks and I have experienced pearling in both of them. It isn't all the time or often but it is possible. AmazonPassion I believe has posted before in regards to his plants pearling and I am pretty sure he uses liquid carbon as well.
Oh nice! Well i guess time well tell.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The pearling is pure oxygen, released by the plants' leaves.
I wouldn't worry about seeng your fish gasping in the surface, while your plants are pearling!!

Remember to turn the CO2 off during nighttime. If it is DIY (apparently not) it may be safer to get a bubbling-stone in there.
The CO2 turns off an hour after the lights, at which point the airstones turn on.

Siggi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The CO2 turns off an hour after the lights, at which point the airstones turn on.
We add CO2 for the plants to have plenty of rawmaterial to make fotosythesis of, right? So, why not turn it off (the CO2) when you turn off the lights? Is there any need for the CO2 to be injected after lights-out?
If there is a good reason, please share, but it's escaping me.
I'm a newbie to CO2, so I'm not saying you're wrong. I just don't understand your 1 hour lapse between light and CO2 turn-off.
And BTW: why do you have airstones running, if your CO2 is off? Is it still useful, or is it just for the beautiful effect it gives?

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lol the lights are off, so the airstones are not for aesthetic purposes. You turn bubbles on to help remove the CO2 from the tank during the night. I read to have the CO2 on for an hour before and after the lights go on and off respectively, so that's what I do. If someone suggests I do otherwise, then I of course have no problem with saving CO2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 10 40.0%

Top Bottom