I have finally achieved the phenomenon known as pearling!

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So I did my usual water change today, nothing different from past water changes at all. I saw a couple tiny bubbles going to the surface, but I figured maybe I accidentally broke a leaf on one of the dwarf chain swords. BUT for or five hours later, there are still tons of bubbles! There is a stream coming from the dwarf chain swords, as well as periodic bubbles every second or so from other areas in the carpet. The wisteria is covered in little bubbles, and the undersides of the anubias are bubbly too. The algae on the rocks is even pearling!

Kind of ironic, because I was thinking of making a "I'm sad, I spend so much time and money on my tank but I'm not happy with how it looks" thread, and here it looks like my plants are happy! Funny, since so many of them aren't doing so well, and have algae on them still, even with a 5-hour photoperiod, CO2, and dry ferts

Woo happy plants! I was going to take a picture but the lights just turned off..so I guess you'll be dying of suspense until I get one

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks Ryan I've put a lot into this tank, what with extra lighting, CO2, dry ferts, etc etc. It's nice to know the plants appreciate it! Well, some of them at least

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes!!!!!! *jumps up and down*

Way to go, it must be nice!

Siggi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've just been reading a thread with (very) long posts, discussing criteria for happyness and thrive of fish and on stocking levels. https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-beginners/129122-bioload-vs-school-number.html#post1408411 - the thriving and wellbeing of our fish is a controversial subject...

With plants, it is (a little) easier.
Edit: plants react in a slower way to what we change in their environment, but they DO react.

I guess pearling is one way do determine if plants thrive. And it is an immediate and 'living' way of seeing our plants 'smile'. Good work zumi!

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks guys! I'll try and get a picture up later today if I can. Though they may not be pearling anymore, not sure how long that usually lasts.

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Woot! Way to go, girl!

Those plants be flashin' their new jewelry!

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks Christine, way to rain on my parade I'll have an awesome tank like yours soon enough!

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A couple pics! Not too many, but to be honest I'm surprised things are still pearling. When the lights came on today they weren't, but then a few hours later and it's as profuse as it was yesterday. I guess the plants are liking the higher flow rate for the CO2, and the lights being on an hour longer (and thus another hour of COs. The fish aren't hanging out at the surface by any means, so I guess it isn't too much. I'm aiming for about 2 bps.

Attachments

FridayGt

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wow! Thanks for posting the picture! Now i have something to aim for, although i wonder how achievable it would be with only liquid carbon.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks guys! I'll try and get a picture up later today if I can. Though they may not be pearling anymore, not sure how long that usually lasts.
Keep an eye on CO2. Your plants probably won't pearl early in the photo period, but by mid way through, I would expect to start seeing the pearling again. Remember, plants know what time it is, and their photosythesis replicates the light period. Same as a human gets more productive after it wakes up.

Mine pearl more after a water change every time.
Yep, mine too. The best time is well into the photo cycle, and a big injection of CO2. Water changes often present this injection.

Wow! Thanks for posting the picture! Now i have something to aim for, although i wonder how achievable it would be with only liquid carbon.
Nope. Liquid carbon doesn't do it my experience. Only CO2 gas (DIY or pure, though pure works best). The KH buffers I use create CO2, and thus I get pearling after water changes.

jwhorner6

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use flourish excel in both of my planted tanks and I have experienced pearling in both of them. It isn't all the time or often but it is possible. AmazonPassion I believe has posted before in regards to his plants pearling and I am pretty sure he uses liquid carbon as well.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom