I Have Fallen In Love With Firemouth's But I Need Help

Should I get a companion for my Firemouth?

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
newfishhobbyist
HI everyone, I recently got into the fish keeping hobby and started my tank off with barbs. Unfortunately it wasn't until a few weeks later that I fell in love with Firemouths and decided to get one for my tank. I got one the other day and put it in my tank and he did fine with the other fish for the first few days, there was no nipping or chasing or harassment but this morning I found the firemouth's tail nipped quite badly and my only guess is that the barbs finally started attacking it. Now I bought this Firemouth as a juvenile and its about 3cm's I have 10 barbs in the tank with it. What I would like help with is sexing the Firemouth as I really want to get it a companion for the tank and decided that I may swell get it a partner so they can breed. second I was wondering what I could do to stop it getting attacked until I get it a partner. Also how to tell if they're male or female would be good, or the best strategy to find a suitable match for it.
Thank you

Katie13
What size tank? Is it cycled?

yukondog
Welcome to the sight newfish, Barbs do what barbs do, fin nip, If you want a pair I would get rid of the barbs and get several more FM and let them pair up if your tank is big enough, than rehome the ones you don't want.

newfishhobbyist
What size tank? Is it cycled?
It is cycled and it is a 180litre tank but I plan on upgrading soon

Katie13
You could do 2 Firemouths, but I wouldn't with the barbs being nippy.

DonP
What type of Barbs? I have started a new 37g tank with cherry barbs, and I was thinking of getting a firemouth.

I currently have 6 females, they are all very shy. I plan on getting 2 males.

SixThreeOh
What type of Barbs? I have started a new 37g tank with cherry barbs, and I was thinking of getting a firemouth.

I currently have 6 females, they are all very shy. I plan on getting 2 males.

Cherry barbs would likely become a snack at some point.

I really like firemouths as well. I was going to get some for my 75, but went with another cichlid species.

DonP
I guess I'll have to pass on the firemouth.

newfishhobbyist
Cherry barbs would likely become a snack at some point.

I really like firemouths as well. I was going to get some for my 75, but went with another cichlid species.
Which cichlids did you get instead?

SixThreeOh

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jenoli42
Replies
Views
RogueAgent94
Replies
Views
Heros severus