I have crazy amounts of hair algae and I need help...

1. uncclewis Well Known Member Member

Hello everyone, I have crash amounts of hair algae and I dont know how to get rid of it. It is everywhere now. which fish will eat it?[​IMG]

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't add fish to solve this problem, especially with your sick clown loaches.

You can manually remove it, decrease the lighting, and dose Excel or the equivalent to help keep it at bay.

4. uncclewis Well Known Member Member

Well... Do oto or SAE eat them?

Like my whole tank is overrun by algae. Lol. Even my water is slightly green

5. PetLover418 Well Known Member Member

Me too, it's everywhere on the gravel and decorations and glass, but not in the water. My Otto only eats a little hair algea, usually by mistake. Someone suggested to me Amano shrimp and nerite snails. Just wait for someone else to confirm.

6. cheese Member Member

I don't think adding fish to an aquarium containing sick fish is a good idea at all...a green tank is a small price to pay to save the life of some otos...and maybe look into algae eating species once your tank and all its inhabitants are healthy. :) good luck with the algae!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. uncclewis Well Known Member Member

Well. I have them and want to know if I feed less algae wafers if they will eat the hair algae. My SAE seem to get fat on the flakes

8. shadowfish Well Known Member Member

i have nerites and i dose Excel but i still have some hair algae,Excel helps the most but it wont get it all

9. uncclewis Well Known Member Member

Is my algae hair algae or stag horn. It was introduced with a new plant :(((( about a week ago

Which fish will eat it? I will get one...

10. uncclewis Well Known Member Member

I am sorry guys I know you said no, but I had too. I got 13 ottos and 4 more SAE & 50 cherry shrimp and 50 ghost shrimp, 6 more amino . I have every type of algae in the book that came in on a snail order... My nitrate isn't even all that high... just they come in on snails and with my blood worms.

Two clown loaches are sick, one is dying, but the rest are healthy except One has a cataract. But with the new tank additions right now they are out swimming (about 10 of them) they were fed blood worms and are insanely fat right now (and ate tons of shrimp).

I have thread algae, hair algae (red and green), diatoms, green algae, brush algae, bluegreen, beard algae, stag horn and one other one.

11. shadowfish Well Known Member Member

well,good luck...hope it works for you...:;dk

12. Skyy2112 Member Member

Algae is generally from nutrient imbalances, lighting, and not enough surface agitation. Please note, adding fish WONT stop your algae, nor get rid of it. It will generally just stop the growth/slow it down. If you want to remove your algae look into your tank/water, NOT fish.

If you have algae, (in a planted tank) unless its a super new tank, its an imbalance. New tanks get algae blooms from dirted nutrient bottoms, or added ferts/CO2 that plants arent used to.

Water changes are very important in tanks. Increase the amount of water per change, and how often. (Sometimes 20% a week is fine, sometimes 50%/wk is needed, etc)

If you have algae, your plants are also not using all of your nutrients. There are a few ways to diagnose your problems based on your type of algae, and the health of your plants.

(I think)
    Holey leaves is an iron deficiency.
    Wilting/Melting is generally a 'new plant syndrom' from new environment.

Plants losing green is... Magnesium or phosphorus or potassium. Cant remember one of the three, but it inhibits their photosynthesis process.

If your plants were recently added did you trim roots/leaves to promote new growth? New growth leaves/roots will be better acclimated to your water, absorb more nutrients, etc etc.

Also, sometimes raising the height of lights, or reducing the amount of time can be enormous.

13. uncclewis Well Known Member Member

Well... Right Now all most of my plants look pretty great. But so does the Algae. Lol... But Slowly it's overtaking the plants. I do regular wc. Tank is over a year old. I have like every type of algae... They come in on my snail and BW orders. And I feed them regularly and that's when I keep introducing them.

14. Skyy2112 Member Member

I would start w/ a shorter light timer, or raising it up.

Some extra water changes. (I do 25% weekly, but about to bump to 50%)

If you can, scrape/manually remove all you can, this will also greatly help.

If this doesnt work; proceed further.

Look for your nutrient deficiency. This can be as simple as adding 'Flourish'. (Not yet suggested)

But if you have a deficiency, it will stop your wanted plants from absorbing the other nutrients that are extra and going towards your unwanted algae.

15. uncclewis Well Known Member Member

Holy . They r working fast lol. But they were probably starving..

I like more movement in my tank. Too. But my algae eaters are all over everywhere working. Heh

16. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Otos and SAEs don't have much temp overlap with angels. Your shrimp will be eaten pretty quickly if the fish can find them in the tank.

You have been given some great advice by Skyy2112. Here's a link with additional info.
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/algae/188662-algae-problems-how-deal-them.html

I would agree that you should significantly shorten your lighting period (you can use a timer so it comes on when you are home) and/or raise your fixture.

Hopefully the otos and SAE don't introduce more diseases to your clown loaches and hopefully you don't get a spike. You added way too many living creatures to your tank at one time.

17. uncclewis Well Known Member Member

I added stability and tetra safe start... but I have moved all of my angels into my other tank very recently. Well my new guys are cleaning the tank pretty fast...

I also added a lot more denitrate. So now I suspect that my nitrate is near 0. I hope that my shrimp survive because they seem to be eating a lot but if not my fish will at least have food.

I will reduce my light period... Thanks :)

[​IMG]

Lol at this mess

This is better. Yes surprising. I know lol

What will eat staghorn algae?

18. uncclewis Well Known Member Member

What will eat stag horn algae?

I know you told me I need to address the reason for the algae, but but right now I need additional help from an algae eater, which fish or invert will eat stag horn algae?

Also, should I use less flourish and excel? Or what should I use less of?

19. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You've already most every algae eater group. I wouldn't add anything else.

20. shadowfish Well Known Member Member

Excel got rid of ALL my staghorn algae so you might want to try that if nothing else works