I have baby mollies!!!!

1. Cassie1116 Initiate Member

Hello! Monday one of my Black Mollies had some fry. I was able to get 10 out of the aquarium and into their own little gallon tank. I've been feeding them flakes, but they don't seem to go to the surface to eat. SO, I put an algae wafer in and they seem to feed off that every now and then. I've never had baby fish so I'm not really sure what to do at this point. What am I supposed to feed them? They are 4 days old right now. I know at some point I need to separate the males from the females...which is why i'm looking into getting another aquarium to keep one for females and the other for males. I think all ten may be female, but I'm not sure if it's too early to be able to tell. Also, at what point should I move them out of the little tank I have. If I put them back in my big tank, I'm afraid they will be eaten. I have hiding spots they can go to, but I know it will be harder for me to separate them once I get them into the bigger tank. Suggestions are most welcome!
    :;f

2. AtomicMudkip Member Member

Live bearer 's are born larger so they are already free swimming. If you leave them in the little tank for a month, with 2 times a day feeding, they will be able to go in the bigger tank, just make sure that they are still getting food. As for feeding, I grabbed all the food I could, threw it in a pestle and mortar and ground it up into a powder. I then, at every feeding, scooped a little bit out into a little container, got a pipette with the tip cut off, added a little water, mixed it around and pipetted it in front of the filter outlet. My molly fry are very large now and almost an inch now at only 2 months old.
    ~Mudkipz
    Edit: also, there is not really much point in separating the males and females as the females store the sperm and impregnate themselves every month for up to a year.

3. Cassie1116 Initiate Member

Thanks so much!

I do crumble the flakes into tiny pieces, but maybe I should try the mortar and pestle approach.

I heard that the females can store the sperm, just didn't realize it was for up to a year. WOWZA! I may still separate them just to keep from continuously having a ton of fry to keep trying to get rid of. My house isn't big enough for a ton of aquariums! LOL

When do the fry start mating with each other? I'd like to try to go ahead and separate them before they can start mating.

4. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Congrats!
    I agree with mudkipz, you can also feed them hikari's first bites... but your good feeding them as mudkipz explained.
    even though the females do store sperm I think if you can tell their genders early enough, there is a chance of separating them before they start breeding.

5. Cassie1116 Initiate Member

Also, I am going to give my nephew a few of the babies. Do you think a 20 gallon tank would be okay for two mollies or should I give him more than two?

6. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Mollies need 30g min, unless you have plans to move them to a bigger tank later on I wouldn't... this is because mollies have very large bioloads and grow pretty large as well.
    *mollies like to be groups so around four to five should be good.

7. kingguppy9000 Member Member

I would suggest if you have a chain fish store near by, they seel small cubes if frozen live food, I throw one of them a day to in for my babies and a cube of blood worms every day for the grown ups, seems to speed up the growth.

8. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Good to know! I ordered some "fry starter" ground krill as I'm about to have baby guppies ... i have also been feeding my other fish live mosquito larvae and blood worms, which they love, but I'll look into the frozen cubes as I do like to vary their diet.

9. kingguppy9000 Member Member

I will add I have heard it's best to thaw it in a small cup of water from your tank first, I've been told it can make red or blue aglee or something crazy. I've never expired it though.