I have babies!!! How do i care for them? Question

1. fishyluv Well Known Member Member

Hi All! Well i looked in my 30 gal molly and guppy tank tonight and saw 4 babies!!! I couldn't believe my eyes. They are tiny so i put a fluval filter sponge over my hob intake tube. Can i just leave them in there? There are plenty of live plants for them to hide in. What do they do for food? They are at the bottom and the bigger fish eat up the food at the surface . Any suggestions?? Thanks

2. Henri Well Known Member Member

If you have a lot of plants and hiding places, some of them will survive, but there would be a higher survival rate if they were in the tank alone (or in another tank).
    If you decide to let them in, then nature will mostly play it's part. Fry are smart young ones, they go hiding right after birth. It's their instinct. If you found 4 babies, there's a good chance that more have survived. Feeding a good quantity of baby brine shrimp or finely crushing pellets/flakes at noon should provide some food for the fry, when the others are 'asleep'.
    Do you have any idea about where the fry came from? I mean are they guppy or molly fry?
    Either way be prepared to have new batches of fry every month :D
    Congrats and good luck!

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member