I have an idea....

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have loads of tiny little snails in some of my tanks, and for a while have been trying to get rid of them, when last night I had this idea. ;D

The snails in my Q tank always go after my cory's food. I was wondering, could I put one of those disposable plastic cups in the tank by waying it down with some gravel, and then putting some of the Cory's food in there as a kind of trap? Then I could just take the cup out with all the snails in there. ;D (I hope this makes sense) What do you think?

Thanks

Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I think I'll try it later. I hope Mo won't get in the way too much. :-\

Gwenz

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
nah he'll be ok. just aggravated because the snails have special food
Carol

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
LOL. I was planning on doing this after doing the water change on the tank today, but somhow forgot. : I will try it tomorrow.

Gwenz

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh my, I wish I had thought of it!!!  It would have saved me killing off snails in 3 tanks and having to transfer Bettas to the q tank for months.  Oh my, I guess I live and learn!!!  Thanks, Gwenz. ;D

Rose
:

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try it today. I know I keep saying this, but I will today. ;D

Rose - My mum always says that you learn something new every day.

Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've put the cup with the food in just now, and hopfully it will be full of snails in the morning. ;D

Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, it worked. ;D The cup was full of snails when I woke up this morning. There are still a few in the tank, so I might do it agin tonight, to get rid of the rest, and then the tank will be snail free. ;D

Gwenz

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cool!! You may have to do that again once in awhile when you get more snails than you want. Remember a few snails are good for your tank
Carol

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes. Even though I've got rid of most of the snails, there are still a lot of eggs in there. :-\ Any idea how to get rid of them? ???

Thanks

Gwenz

P.S. - I didn't know snails are good for the tank, what do they do? Eat the leftover food??

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Snails get down in the substrate and move it around while eating leftover food. Usually an over abundance of snails is a sign you need to feed a little less.
If you still need to get rid of some more snails then re-do your experiment until they are down to where you want them.
My bristlenose tanks are always overflowing with snails because you have to feed, feed, feed to get them to spawn. I usually pick the snails out and feed them to my loaches.
Carol

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks. At the moment there are only 2-3 left in the tank, so for now, I will leave them. If I do more I will do the experiment again.

Gwenz

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
another thing that works is either algae tabs or cucumbers on a plate and they get attracted to that and in the am you can simply remove the plate and have escargo... hehehe.. it works realy well so i would imagine any veggie substance would work... we did the algae tabs and cucumbers and got lots of snials on the plate each time we did it...

Heidi

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom