Experience
Just started
Hello everyone!

I have a 10 gallon, fresh water aquarium with the following specs:
- PH: 7.4
- Ammonia: 0 ppm
- Nitrite: 0 ppm
- Nitrate: 20 ppm

I am having some algae coming up, but I don't know it or how to make it go away, I'll attach some photos.

I have also been battling with diatoms for a while, do any of you have any tips to clear it away?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

Axemanagement

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We are in the same boat. Started mine in Jan. As well & I am currently in a brown algae bloom. Found out thru lots of study that this is normal on new aquariums. Just keep your water parameters in check and wait it out. It will run its coarse in time.

Attachments

OP
Marianne95

Marianne95

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Axemanagement said:
We are in the same boat. Started mine in Jan. As well & I am currently in a brown algae bloom. Found out thru lots of study that this is normal on new aquariums. Just keep your water parameters in check and wait it out. It will run its coarse in time.
Thank you so much :)

Cgtoxic said:
Maybe some shrimp could help get rid of some algae
I was considering that option, but I already have 7 fish in there, I'm scared of overstocking :(

Hugooo

Reaction score
Marianne95 said:
I was considering that option, but I already have 7 fish in there, I'm scared of overstocking :(
I agree with Axemanagement. Most shrimp, especially ghost shrimp, take up very little space and will thrive in an algae-filled aquarium. Believe me, you won't regret it. The only thing is some LFS have poor quality shrimp, so don't be surprised if they die quickly. Just keep trying. Good luck!

Axemanagement

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh ya. You are a bit over stocked. Red eye tetras will gro to around 2 1/2 inches so at adult size your over for 10 gallon tank
Axemanagement said:
Shrimp have an almost0 bioload so put a few in.
At adult size your at about 150% bioload, without adding the panda. Are you using an oversized filter, do you have any live plants?

OP
Marianne95

Marianne95

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cgtoxic said:
you could do up to 10 shrimp for now. Btw, corydoras should be in a group of at least 4 or more
And whenever I add any more fish would I have to take some shrimp out?

I know about the cory's! :( I had a mess with my water parameters that's slowly coming to nice numbers, I did not want to introduce any more fish until I got it settled, but very soon he's gonna have new friends :)

Hugooo said:
I agree with Axemanagement. Most shrimp, especially ghost shrimp, take up very little space and will thrive in an algae-filled aquarium. Believe me, you won't regret it. The only thing is some LFS have poor quality shrimp, so don't be surprised if they die quickly. Just keep trying. Good luck!
Thanks so much for the tip!

Axemanagement said:
At adult size your at about 150% bioload, without adding the panda. Are you using an oversized filter, do you have any live plants?
Right now I'm running on a aqueon quiet flow 10 and I don't have any live plants

New Threads