I have a question about the fluval bio-foam?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by uncclewis, Jul 4, 2016.

1. uncclewis

uncclewisWell Known MemberMember

So, what is the purpose of the fluval bio-foam? How beneficial is it? Doesn't matrix + coarse pads work better? I was curious if I should keep buying these or use others.

2. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

I thought it was just a good place for BB to grow. You're not throwing the bio-foam out are you?

3. AquariumQuirks

AquariumQuirksValued MemberMember

The bio-foam is designed to grow bacteria that will eat ammonia, and nitrite (toxic) and turn it into nitrate (not very toxic). You shouldn't need to buy more because you shouldn't be throwing them out. They are mean't to stay in the filter. There are other types of bio filtration available but I would stick with the filtration that came with the filter. For more information just google "Aquarium nitrogen cycle"

4. Aquaphobia

Welcome to the forum! You'll be happy to know that uncclewis knows about the nitrogen cycle, I think there may be some confusion between products here since there are some types of media that are more than just a place for bacteria to grow;)

5. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

Yea. When it got very dirty, I was trashing it. I wasnt sure if using matrix + a coarse pad were better.

6. Aquaphobia

Did you try rinsing it out at all? What kind of filter are you running? Did you have other types of filter media to catch the majority of the junk flowing through before it reached the Bio-Foam?

7. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

All of my tanks have sponges; one is small and primarily sponges,

another has fluval fx6 and hydor 600

And last one has fluval fx6 and internal canister.

In my fluvals, I think I put the 50 micron after one sponge (but ofc it has the fluval sponges before that). I wring it out a few times, then discard it.

I was replacing the sponges about once per 6-8 months. I am curious if you think its better to just use a coarse pad + more matrix. Not sure if that or keep buying them.

8. Aquaphobia

Do you need to replace them after that time because they've broken down or are they too clogged to rinse out? I wouldn't replace them at all unless they're falling apart. If they're getting clogged you may need different types of media between the Bio-foam and the intake.

9. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

Eventually They are looking nasty. Like a ton brown mush (feces? ) that won't easily come out, and so, I was replacing them.

10. Aquaphobia

How much media do you have between the intake and the Bio-Foam? I think I'd have progressively finer media, including floss, just to catch all the bits of yucky stuff. Then you can throw out the cheap floss and save the Bio-Foam.

11. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

Well the fluval fx6 has the 3 foam trays.  . These are before the foam pads. The foam pads stay much cleaner than they do in other machines.

I replace the pads before those every 4 months.

12. Aquaphobia

Is there any ceramic media?

13. slayer5590

slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

The foam is there for mechanical filtration. I rinse mine in the sink until it's clean. No reason to replace it all the time. You really need to get off the 50 micron stuff it clogs to fast and really strains you filter motors.

14. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

Well it works great! :) I usually use 1-2 slips of it. You do know they are very thin right? They are 1/8 inches thick. The fluval can handle it, but eventually it does get too dirty. 1-3 months. I dont use any ceramic, I use only seachem matrix.

See. Here is my fluval fx6 after 2 months on two sheets of 50 micron. [​IMG]

I just strurred up the gravel. It can handle the sheets. The flow does reduce though, but, it is way more efficient in cleaning. And its still plenty of flow

https://vimeo.com/173967100

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice