I have a question about tannins and driftwood

AnIdiotWithFish

Are there any studies on how tannins might affect beneficial bacteria? Also, what are y'all's ways of getting tannins out of driftwood? I'm looking to start a tank soon and was wondering about some options of getting tannins out. Thanks!

P.S.
I may not get a piece of driftwood with many tannins in it but just in case for future use.

MacZ

Are there any studies on how tannins might affect beneficial bacteria?
No there are no studies. But experience of hundreds and thousands of blackwater and botanical method hobbyists shows: There are no problems with the cycle caused by humic substances or soft water. In fact driftwood and botanicals serve as a substrate for beneficial microorganisms (bacteria, archaeans, fungi) themselves.

Also, what are y'all's ways of getting tannins out of driftwood?
If you don't want it in your tank (which I can't understand) - boil it at least once and water it for some time, exchanging water until it doesn't get tinted anymore. There are dozens of threads on this topic here on the forum. Use the search.

PeterFishKeepin

As MacZ has said, driftwood has many benfeits to tanks but if you dont want the tannins, ive found most effective way it to boil it in water around 3 times each for about 1 hour and change the water each time, depends on the size of wood this can be done in a pot or if quite large in a sink. Depends on the wood, some realease a lot and are quick release, some release a lot and take a long time to release, some are small amounts and quick release, so you may only need to boil once, depends on how discoloured the water is after boiling.

Or if you have more patience you can get a bucket of water and leave there but it will/can take a long time to release.

It should be noted that most of the tannins will go around 80-90% IMO/E and it will still leak a small amount into the tank for the first 2-3 water changes but then it should be fine.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Esimm03
Replies
Views
CanadianFishFan
  • Question
Replies
Views
Hbln
Replies