Question I have a question about Platy Behavior

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello!
I bought two Platys 3 or 4 days ago and so far they have settled in. They eat and explore and seem to get along with the other inhabitants.
The past two days, I seem to keep catching the one male platy continuously swimming with his nose up against the glass, up and down the tank. If I put my hand near the glass, it seems to distract him and he stops for awhile, and then a half hour later he starts again.
The other Platy seems to keep its distance from him now, I think she might be pregnant because she seems to be getting rounder...

Any advice as to what this behavior means??

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It may be trying to expand its territory. It can see beyond the glass, and so knows there's something past there. It's just trying to find a way to get through, would be my guess.

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He may be checking out his reflection and when you place your finger near the glass the reflection goes away.

Sounds like pretty normal behavior too me. Alot of my swordtails/Platies had what I thought was strange behavior the first couple of days I put them into a new tank, they usually start acting like all the other fish once they get used to the tank.

Sirdarksol got me thinking, does he do it only when the room is dark, but your tank has it's lights on?

Last edited:

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
lol thats kinda funny then, I'm just glad its not a sickness type of thing!

And no, I don't think so. Its usually fairly bright in here, we get daylight until just past 7 pm now...I usually leave my tank light on from when I get up until when I go to bed, I noticed if I turn it off during the day the fish all look pale when I get home.

Hes pretty exploratory, it seems like he just gets in these moods where he likes to swim up against the glass up and down and up and down.....if the other platy swims by, he usually stops and tries to go after her ;D

Last edited:

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yeah sounds like fish just being fish... I don't start to get concerned until they start acting to passive, stop eating or lose color. Enjoy your fish!

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My balloon mollys do this same thing. Mainly the males but I do have one female who also does it.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've noticed this with my Cremecicle Mollie and since she is the biggest I have, I could see it as her trying to expand her territory.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've noticed this with my Cremecicle Mollie and since she is the biggest I have, I could see it as her trying to expand her territory.
Well from your aquarium info you're way over stocked so I could see this being true.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well from your aquarium info you're way over stocked so I could see this being true.
i was just going to say that my platys do this more frequently when they are either in a smaller tank than normal or if several fish are added to their tank

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i was just going to say that my platys do this more frequently when they are either in a smaller tank than normal or if several fish are added to their tank
Well I know my balloons have always done this no matter what size tank they're in they're just weird I guess haha. But I do have some fish that do this and they're in a plenty big enough tank so it can happen just because the fish wants to swim up and down and play with its reflection i guess.

EDIT: To the OP I just noticed your aquarium info and I really don't think all your fish are compatiable guppys and platys do not usually do well with barbs. Barbs like to be in big groups as they're a schooling fish so if you don't have like 5 then its probably picking on your fish causing them to do this. Then also otos need to be in large groups as well. Then I don't know what type of tetras you guys have so I couldn't tell you if those are compatible or not since many tetras are fin nippers but they also need a large group.

Last edited:

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I know my balloons have always done this no matter what size tank they're in they're just weird I guess haha. But I do have some fish that do this and they're in a plenty big enough tank so it can happen just because the fish wants to swim up and down and play with its reflection i guess.
maybe its just personality, i have an adult red wag male that does nothing but follow an orange wag female, and when they aren't in the same tank together he hides behind rocks and plants and barely peeks his head out and just watches whats going on.

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
EDIT: To the OP I just noticed your aquarium info and I really don't think all your fish are compatiable guppys and platys do not usually do well with barbs. Barbs like to be in big groups as they're a schooling fish so if you don't have like 5 then its probably picking on your fish causing them to do this. Then also otos need to be in large groups as well. Then I don't know what type of tetras you guys have so I couldn't tell you if those are compatible or not since many tetras are fin nippers but they also need a large group.
The only fish that I was having some issue with were my Zebra Danio's. I found a home for them, and I have been watching how things operate in my tank since then. The two guppies are constantly with each other swimming around and the male is quite sweet on her. The Tetras (1 blackskirt, 1 white, 1 pink) sort of just each patrol their sides of the tank. They have sort of divided it up between them, which is odd because I thought they enjoyed schooling. They arn't violent towards any of the other fish, I have seen my pregnant platy take food right out of the blackskirts mouth without any anger. The oto is always doing his own thing, eating and pooping. The frog is actually quite bold, I can always see him walking around the bottom or swimming or floating around the top. Hes a good eater too.
The barb is pretty non violent, I don't think I have ever seen her go after any of the fish. She mostly just hangs out with the pink tetra.

The platy is the only one acting odd, he just likes his reflection I guess. With his mate being all preggers, he is probably bored and the other fish arn't all that much fun.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom