Status
Not open for further replies.

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello!
I am currently treating my tank for Ich and this is my first time dealing with this, I have some questions if you don't mind. :-\

1) Do I add salt or no? I read on here that you should treat with salt, and then others told me not to use it. Do I?
2) I was wondering how to add garlic to the food. What I have been doing is chopping up some garlic in a little dish and putting some of the tank water in it with either brine shrimp or dried bloodworms. I let it sit in the dish for about a half hour and then pour it in without spilling the garlic chunks in. Is that ok? Am I supposed to add it to flake food, if so, how do I do that? I tried and it turned into sludge in the dish.
3) Should I put my ADF in a little tank separately, will any of this treatment I am doing for the fish hurt him?

Thanks for your time guys, so far the one fish thats for sure infected is being a trooper, she's still alive.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I can't help with #1 or #3 but the easiest way to do the garlic is to buy the jarred stuff at the grocery store that's packed in water, not oil. Then pour a bit of the juice into a bowl and soak the food in it. I did it yesterday with dried bloodworms and some of the minced garlic ended up in the tank and the fish ate it!

-Lisa

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So it is okay if the fish eat the garlic? I was thinking I could mince some up very very fine and put that in with some food, would that be okay?

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you!

I'm still not too sure what to do salt wise, I ended up putting in just a tablespoon and a half instead of a full dose, I figured a little bit can't hurt and if it is good a little bit is better then none. So far the frog looks okay....I figure unless he starts doing something weird I'll keep him in there.

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well hopefully they will be okay until tomorrow, I am going to do a water change and clean some of the gravel and stuff.
So no salt.....Thanks Catsma!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
garlic does its best work, when eaten....just floating in the water, isnt going to do too much...so adding it in their diet is best

the higher temps for 2 weeks, and a few gravel vacs a week, should do it....salt wont work with the fish you have...

have any fish showed signs of ich other than rubbing yet? you may not even be dealing with ich but as long as you have extra air stones in there, the higher temps shouldnt hurt anything

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, like I said I am new to all of this, but I think so? I had a fish die on me about 5 days ago or so and I assumed she had been bullied to death, I had separated the bully I thought was picking on her but I was wrong, it was the guppy. Anywho, she looked okay except her tail was ripped. The rip looked clean, no fraying or white stuff or blood or anything. Once again, I assumed bullying.
Then my other platy that was pregnant started acting weird, she spends most of her time inside of the log and when she does come out is usually in the morning when I turn on the light, a few times during the day, and at night. I am pretty sure she comes out because those are the times I normally would feed. She swims around kinda funny, on an angle like this: /
Then she "flashes" against a few leaves and rocks and then retreats into her log. I saw a few white spots on her tail 2 days ago, but I don't see any now. She's still acting weird though.....so I dunno, am I wrong? Could it be something else?

Thanks guys!

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I thought that might of been the problem first but my water parameters are stable. No ammonia, no nitrites, and 10 nitrates.
Ph is about 7.5, maybe a smidgen lower.

none of my other fish look like they are having problems, I thought that maybe because stress can be a factor in fish getting ich, the pregnant one would be most susceptable because she was pregnant, and she was being bugged by the male.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
From what I've read, ich is on most fish but only when their immune systems become compromised from stress or something else, then the infection flares. I'm not sure if it's entirely true but it makes sense because similar processes occur in humans.

-Lisa

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ICH is best treated as Shawnie said, raise temp to 86F for 2 weeks solid, 2-3 gravel vacs a week to clean up any spores that fall off, and after 2 weeks slowly return the temp to normal. My QT fish are on the first day of their temp being reduced down to normal as they got ICH a few days after being bought (surprise surprise, most common thing from LFS in my area) and now it's over!

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree, from what I have read too it reminds me of the common cold. Most people do not get it unless they have weak immune systems. I know she was stressed because she had a very long pregnancy and her male was very VERY protective and probably didn't give her much space. Plus I think my guppy is a bit of a needy guy, he is constantly following the platys around the tank and trying to get right close to them. That probably doesn't help.

So far she looks like she is holding her own, she doesn't look like she is any worse then she was yesterday. Everyday I wake up and see her come out of her log and swim around it makes my day, I want to try and save her, despite the fact she only cost 2 dollars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom