I Have A Question About Guppy Males

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Dianne2us, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Dianne2us

Dianne2us Valued Member Member

I have a guppy fish tank populated by fry that I have raised. I have one male that is very beautiful. He is bigger then all my other males by at least 50% and he has a hump on his back. The hump is not a weird growth or anything it's just his form. His dorsal fin is long and impressive he has a beautiful large tail, bright baby blue with black specks. He is an impressive looking guppy. My question is; is there such a thing as a dominant male guppy in a school of guppies, who is bigger? I raised him from new born and there was nothing special about his parents.

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!
    In short, yes, they have a pecking order. Its not always a question of whom is bigger tho, just who is more dominant, but size does help. They wont be as aggressive about it as bettas (who kill each other), but they will chase and sometimes nip during the process.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. OP
    OP
    Dianne2us

Thank you

4. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

There are a dominant guppy but usually they shouldn't get bigger than the rest unless in bad conditions.

What size tank and how many guppies do you have in that tank?

5. OP
    OP
    Dianne2us

He's as big as my females. I have a ten gallon tank and five guppies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice