I Have A Pregnant Neon Tetra What Do I Do? How Do I

1. Jonathan Stump

Jonathan Stump New Member Member

I currently have a school of six neons in my 10 gallon tank. I noticed one was larger then the past few days, I looked up pictures of pregnant neons and they matched. I have a few empty tanks on stand by, a 2.5 gal, a 1 gal, a .5 gal(it was a gift) and a 15. I am clueless on what to do with a pregnant schooling fish, can I isolate it?, or should I bring the whole school?

2. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

Can you post a picture so we can make sure it's not just bloated?

3. Baba

Baba Valued Member Member

Neon tetras lay eggs, so not sure if you should call it "pregnant". If your parameters are right the group will spawn and the female will release the eggs.
    You should have large pebbles or java moos on the bottom to prevent eggs get eaten by the tetras.
    Not sure if this applies to Neons but some fish have better hatching success if the light is turned off. The adults need to be removed from the tank obviously.

4. OP
    OP
    Jonathan Stump

IMG_2491.JPG IMG_2490.JPG IMG_2489.JPG
    I’m sorry for the horrible photos, shot it on my iPhone.

I have medium sized pebbles but only one living plant, I’m currently planning a huge makeover, I’m changing the gravel, adding live plants, changing my filter media to sponges instead of cartridges with carbon to help the plants, driftwood, and much more!

Attached Files:

5. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Your fish may easily just be bloated. Have you seen this particular tetra eat more food than the others?

6. OP
    OP
    Jonathan Stump

Maybe

7. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

You mean egg layer? Fish that lay eggs aren't called pregnant. Or Gravid