I have a new fishy!

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
I haven't named him yet. (What a shocker...) But he is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! If you lookat him in a dull light, he's white with some red/pink... and then when the light hits him he shimmers a beautiful blue color. He's iridescent, and Gaw-juss! So his fins and tail go from a white color, to a blue, with the red.. and his body was white when I bought him, but it's turned a bit pink. And his eyes are blue and red. He's really gorgeous. I'll post pictures when I can, i've got to find my cord to plug in my phone to the computer.. I'm thinking that his name is going to be Lux. Which is derrived from the latin word for Light. ^_^ Or Neil, which was gaelic for cloud or champion. I'm kind of leaning towards Neil... yea I think that's the one. (Pictures coming soon!)

OP
S

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
Yes! Colonel Custard was gone. :'( And so was the white and purple marbled betta, and the little female. But I found this little guy in the very back corner. He's quite the catch! And in the process of finding him, I also found two dead bettas and gave them to the manager working, he was a bit embarrassed when I found the second one... And he should be!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
~Sparkling Diamonds~ said:
Yes! Colonel Custard was gone. :'( And so was the white and purple marbled betta, and the little female. But I found this little guy in the very back corner. He's quite the catch! And in the process of finding him, I also found two dead bettas and gave them to the manager working, he was a bit embarrassed when I found the second one... And he should be!
we sadly find at least 1 dead every time we go in to our petco. they don't seem to be in any hurry to do anything about it either. of course, usually there's not even anyone in the fish section.

OP
S

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
Mmhmm Me too. That's how it is at my Petco, another reason why I'm boycotting it. There's always at least one person in the fish department in Petsmart. Though, in all the times i've been to petco, i've only ever found one dead fish. I found twice that many yesterday.

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
I found 4 dead cories in one tank at Petsmart covered in gross pond snails, two dead dwarf gouramis in the next tank and in another tank there was a glass fish with a severe case of cotton fungus! It looked like a sheep covered all over in fungus    I was afraid to keep looking! I complained to two different managers TWICE, on two different days that this poor glass fish needed treatment and they assured me they'd let the fish associate know and the fish is still in there a week later covered in fungus darting around in extreme discomfort infecting all the other fish! It made me feel sick to look at him it looked so gross! If I possibly had a spare tank I'd have bought it and treated it though I don't know what I'd do with it after since I probably can't keep it with my Bettas. Four coolers full of Bettas sat all night (and all the previous day I assume) unprocessed once when I came in first thing in the morning. I had seen them there the afternoon before and they were still there! Fish are treated like inventory with no feelings. It's not just Bettas, but all fish are treated badly.  :'(  It seems they all need rescueing.

Sparkling Diamonds, congrats on your new fishie! I can't wait to see a pic! One more fish gets a GOOD home!

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Phloxface said:
I found 4 dead cories in one tank at Petsmart covered in gross pond snails, two dead dwarf gouramis in the next tank and in another tank there was a glass fish with a severe case of cotton fungus! It looked like a sheep covered all over in fungus    I was afraid to keep looking! I complained to two different managers TWICE, on two different days that this poor glass fish needed treatment and they assured me they'd let the fish associate know and the fish is still in there a week later covered in fungus darting around in extreme discomfort infecting all the other fish! It made me feel sick to look at him it looked so gross! If I possibly had a spare tank I'd have bought it and treated it though I don't know what I'd do with it after since I probably can't keep it with my Bettas. Four coolers full of Bettas sat all night (and all the previous day I assume) unprocessed once when I came in first thing in the morning. I had seen them there the afternoon before and they were still there! Fish are treated like inventory with no feelings. It's not just Bettas, but all fish are treated badly.  :'(  It seems they all need rescueing.

Sparkling Diamonds, congrats on your new fishie! I can't wait to see a pic! One more fish gets a GOOD home!
that is a shame to hear about your local petsmart. Talking to the two different managers in the same store probubly wouldnt get you too far, since that is the store that seems to have the problem, lack of care of the fish etc etc etc. By writing to the corporate office should result in some kind of resolution. I found they aI'm to please and your store is most likely the result of bad employee hiring, lack of knowledge or even of caring about the fish or conditions by the same manager. And one thing this Company doesn't need is to be guilty by association!! Please write to the higher ups and let them do what needs to be done to remedy the problem. My local petsmart is a wonderful store with at least 4 folks working the fish dept at all times and they are always busy.. cleanning... changing water, feeding.. etc etc etcc. I have never seen a dead fish there, and the water always looks wonderfully clear and clean and the fish seem very happy. Good luck with your store there, and I hope that a higher up will look into this problem for the sake of the fish that come into that store.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If our Petco was like that, they'd have not lost all our business, other than urgent-gotta-have-it-today items occasionally. Not that we mind paying much less at the DFS website tho. But we'd have not been so ready to find an online store if they'd not ripped us off with their practice of double-charging and disgusted us with their 'care' of fish.. that petsmart is a treasure kate, if only they all could be like that.

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FLBettaCouple said:
If our Petco was like that, they'd have not lost all our business, other than urgent-gotta-have-it-today items occasionally.  Not that we mind paying much less at the DFS website tho.   But we'd have not been so ready to find an online store if they'd not ripped us off with their practice of double-charging and disgusted us with their 'care' of fish.. that petsmart is a treasure kate, if only they all could be like that.
We don't have a petco around here.. ( I don't think..) So never been in those stores. I guess I am lucky, since chain stores can be iffy and that is the result of poor management.
Even where I go, when they get deliveries on thursday they even suggest that I wait a day or two so the fish won't be stressed with yet another move.
Going there today tho not for fishys ( wish I could..) but for some supplies.
have a great day all! ;D

OP
S

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
I went to Petsmart today to get Neil his hex (Which he is absolutely loving!!) And this employee that I often see was very serious today.. later on I found out that one of the reptiles escaped and he was hunting him down. I thought it was really funny.

Anywho- I've found my cord... but have been a bit preoccupied today with errands and now I have to dash off to work - I'll make a video of him and his flashy self for you all to see. Be warned that it's just the tank right now. I haven't got a heater, but the light is keeping the water at 81, and I don't have an air stone for him yet- ( I know, aweful me) AND! There's no plant for him, I might end up going back later and getting more if I can't wait for the next paycheck. Gosh...he's so pretty hehe. I can't wait to show him to you guys.

OP
S

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
I have a video! I just watched it and I sincerely apologise for the blurriness. (No, it's not your eyes...it's my phone!) I can't figure out, for the life of me, how to make it not so blurry. But, i'm also going to try and take some plain pictures, if Neil will stay still! haha

Anywho- Here's the video:

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lovely little guy. I saw the video and he looks healthy and happy. Congratulations on a happy little betta.

Rose

OP
S

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
Thanks Rose! He is very happy...always checking out the corys.

I just put in plastic plants today, I did test them on nylons... but his tail has a rip in it! I have no idea why!! I'm thinking that he got it caught on one of the plants. I'm thinking I should take them out, which is a bummer because they look so perfect in there. And filing them down would be long and tedious. I don't think it's fin rot, just because of how the tail looks. It looks ripped, not like it's fin rot. I do have vita chem, i've been putting three drops in a day and the full amount once a week after the water changes. Should I increase the daily drops to help his tail heal faster? Maybe increase the amount once a day, or maybe do them twice a day? I don't want him to get fin rot. (Please no!!!)

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Checked out your youtube .. He is gorgeous, I love the pink and the blue. He looks very happy. ;D
Hope he's doing better...
~ kate

OP
S

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
I got him some new cory cats today, and he wa nipping at them. So at the moment... (I know you'll all hate me for this) But he's spending the night in his cup. He's in a time out for being naughty! Thank you though, I think he's just stunning.

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
~Sparkling Diamonds~ said:
I got him some new cory cats today, and he wa nipping at them. So at the moment... (I know you'll all hate me for this) But he's spending the night in his cup. He's in a time out for being naughty! Thank you though, I think he's just stunning.
OOOOO noooooo in time out!! lol... hope he is behaving now! hehehe... oh I hope its a BIG cup!!

New Threads