I have a new fishy!

Sparkling Diamonds

I haven't named him yet. (What a shocker...) But he is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! If you lookat him in a dull light, he's white with some red/pink... and then when the light hits him he shimmers a beautiful blue color. He's iridescent, and Gaw-juss! So his fins and tail go from a white color, to a blue, with the red.. and his body was white when I bought him, but it's turned a bit pink. And his eyes are blue and red. He's really gorgeous. I'll post pictures when I can, i've got to find my cord to plug in my phone to the computer.. I'm thinking that his name is going to be Lux. Which is derrived from the latin word for Light. ^_^ Or Neil, which was gaelic for cloud or champion. I'm kind of leaning towards Neil... yea I think that's the one. (Pictures coming soon!)

COBettaCouple

Col. Custard was gone? Glad to see you couldn't resist rescuing a little Betta. We look forward to his pics.

Sparkling Diamonds

Yes! Colonel Custard was gone. :'( And so was the white and purple marbled betta, and the little female. But I found this little guy in the very back corner. He's quite the catch! And in the process of finding him, I also found two dead bettas and gave them to the manager working, he was a bit embarrassed when I found the second one... And he should be!

COBettaCouple

~Sparkling Diamonds~ said:
Yes! Colonel Custard was gone. :'( And so was the white and purple marbled betta, and the little female. But I found this little guy in the very back corner. He's quite the catch! And in the process of finding him, I also found two dead bettas and gave them to the manager working, he was a bit embarrassed when I found the second one... And he should be!
we sadly find at least 1 dead every time we go in to our petco. they don't seem to be in any hurry to do anything about it either. of course, usually there's not even anyone in the fish section.

Sparkling Diamonds

Mmhmm Me too. That's how it is at my Petco, another reason why I'm boycotting it. There's always at least one person in the fish department in Petsmart. Though, in all the times i've been to petco, i've only ever found one dead fish. I found twice that many yesterday.

Phloxface

I found 4 dead cories in one tank at Petsmart covered in gross pond snails, two dead dwarf gouramis in the next tank and in another tank there was a glass fish with a severe case of cotton fungus! It looked like a sheep covered all over in fungus    I was afraid to keep looking! I complained to two different managers TWICE, on two different days that this poor glass fish needed treatment and they assured me they'd let the fish associate know and the fish is still in there a week later covered in fungus darting around in extreme discomfort infecting all the other fish! It made me feel sick to look at him it looked so gross! If I possibly had a spare tank I'd have bought it and treated it though I don't know what I'd do with it after since I probably can't keep it with my Bettas. Four coolers full of Bettas sat all night (and all the previous day I assume) unprocessed once when I came in first thing in the morning. I had seen them there the afternoon before and they were still there! Fish are treated like inventory with no feelings. It's not just Bettas, but all fish are treated badly.  :'(  It seems they all need rescueing.

Sparkling Diamonds, congrats on your new fishie! I can't wait to see a pic! One more fish gets a GOOD home!

capekate

Phloxface said:
I found 4 dead cories in one tank at Petsmart covered in gross pond snails, two dead dwarf gouramis in the next tank and in another tank there was a glass fish with a severe case of cotton fungus! It looked like a sheep covered all over in fungus    I was afraid to keep looking! I complained to two different managers TWICE, on two different days that this poor glass fish needed treatment and they assured me they'd let the fish associate know and the fish is still in there a week later covered in fungus darting around in extreme discomfort infecting all the other fish! It made me feel sick to look at him it looked so gross! If I possibly had a spare tank I'd have bought it and treated it though I don't know what I'd do with it after since I probably can't keep it with my Bettas. Four coolers full of Bettas sat all night (and all the previous day I assume) unprocessed once when I came in first thing in the morning. I had seen them there the afternoon before and they were still there! Fish are treated like inventory with no feelings. It's not just Bettas, but all fish are treated badly.  :'(  It seems they all need rescueing.

Sparkling Diamonds, congrats on your new fishie! I can't wait to see a pic! One more fish gets a GOOD home!
that is a shame to hear about your local petsmart. Talking to the two different managers in the same store probubly wouldnt get you too far, since that is the store that seems to have the problem, lack of care of the fish etc etc etc. By writing to the corporate office should result in some kind of resolution. I found they aI'm to please and your store is most likely the result of bad employee hiring, lack of knowledge or even of caring about the fish or conditions by the same manager. And one thing this Company doesn't need is to be guilty by association!! Please write to the higher ups and let them do what needs to be done to remedy the problem. My local petsmart is a wonderful store with at least 4 folks working the fish dept at all times and they are always busy.. cleanning... changing water, feeding.. etc etc etcc. I have never seen a dead fish there, and the water always looks wonderfully clear and clean and the fish seem very happy. Good luck with your store there, and I hope that a higher up will look into this problem for the sake of the fish that come into that store.

COBettaCouple

If our Petco was like that, they'd have not lost all our business, other than urgent-gotta-have-it-today items occasionally. Not that we mind paying much less at the DFS website tho. But we'd have not been so ready to find an online store if they'd not ripped us off with their practice of double-charging and disgusted us with their 'care' of fish.. that petsmart is a treasure kate, if only they all could be like that.

capekate

FLBettaCouple said:
If our Petco was like that, they'd have not lost all our business, other than urgent-gotta-have-it-today items occasionally.  Not that we mind paying much less at the DFS website tho.   But we'd have not been so ready to find an online store if they'd not ripped us off with their practice of double-charging and disgusted us with their 'care' of fish.. that petsmart is a treasure kate, if only they all could be like that.
We don't have a petco around here.. ( I don't think..) So never been in those stores. I guess I am lucky, since chain stores can be iffy and that is the result of poor management.
Even where I go, when they get deliveries on thursday they even suggest that I wait a day or two so the fish won't be stressed with yet another move.
Going there today tho not for fishys ( wish I could..) but for some supplies.
have a great day all! ;D

nmwierman1977

Well I for one can not wait to see this beautiful Betta of yours. He sounds amazing. Welcome to you neil/Lux. Natalie

Sparkling Diamonds

I went to Petsmart today to get Neil his hex (Which he is absolutely loving!!) And this employee that I often see was very serious today.. later on I found out that one of the reptiles escaped and he was hunting him down. I thought it was really funny.

Anywho- I've found my cord... but have been a bit preoccupied today with errands and now I have to dash off to work - I'll make a video of him and his flashy self for you all to see. Be warned that it's just the tank right now. I haven't got a heater, but the light is keeping the water at 81, and I don't have an air stone for him yet- ( I know, aweful me) AND! There's no plant for him, I might end up going back later and getting more if I can't wait for the next paycheck. Gosh...he's so pretty hehe. I can't wait to show him to you guys.

Sparkling Diamonds

I have a video! I just watched it and I sincerely apologise for the blurriness. (No, it's not your eyes...it's my phone!) I can't figure out, for the life of me, how to make it not so blurry. But, i'm also going to try and take some plain pictures, if Neil will stay still! haha

Anywho- Here's the video:

COBettaCouple

he's a beauty.. looks a lot like a dalmation betta.

chickadee

Lovely little guy. I saw the video and he looks healthy and happy. Congratulations on a happy little betta.

Rose

Sparkling Diamonds

Thanks Rose! He is very happy...always checking out the corys.

I just put in plastic plants today, I did test them on nylons... but his tail has a rip in it! I have no idea why!! I'm thinking that he got it caught on one of the plants. I'm thinking I should take them out, which is a bummer because they look so perfect in there. And filing them down would be long and tedious. I don't think it's fin rot, just because of how the tail looks. It looks ripped, not like it's fin rot. I do have vita chem, i've been putting three drops in a day and the full amount once a week after the water changes. Should I increase the daily drops to help his tail heal faster? Maybe increase the amount once a day, or maybe do them twice a day? I don't want him to get fin rot. (Please no!!!)

capekate

Checked out your youtube .. He is gorgeous, I love the pink and the blue. He looks very happy. ;D
Hope he's doing better...
~ kate

Sparkling Diamonds

I got him some new cory cats today, and he wa nipping at them. So at the moment... (I know you'll all hate me for this) But he's spending the night in his cup. He's in a time out for being naughty! Thank you though, I think he's just stunning.

capekate

I got him some new cory cats today, and he wa nipping at them. So at the moment... (I know you'll all hate me for this) But he's spending the night in his cup. He's in a time out for being naughty! Thank you though, I think he's just stunning.
OOOOO noooooo in time out!! lol... hope he is behaving now! hehehe... oh I hope its a BIG cup!!

Sparkling Diamonds

haha well, it is bigger than the cups at Petco.. :-\

COBettaCouple

LOL.. he's probably in there, plotting his escape and revenge!

Sparkling Diamonds

He is! I tried to feed his and he jumped out of the water and bit me this morning and then flared at me!!! Lucky little boy... it's a good thing I love him. lol

I went through all my spare change and got one of those betta bowl things, the largest one that Petsmart had. At least he's alone, and has more room to swim now. It's not his permanent home, by all means.. just temporary until I can figure out what to do with the current situation with the corys.

chickadee

The Cories should have been there first. You see, he had become territorial in his home and you put others into HIS territory. If you let the Cories live there first then he would have behaved better because he would be going into THEIR house.

Bettas live alone and do not know how to play well with others and it does no good to punish them, it just confuses them. All you can do is rearrange all the things in the tank so that it looks like a different tank when he goes back into it and hope that he thinks that he is in a new home and he has to set up a new territory with the Cories who already live there. If it does not work, I will say that the Cories will get used to him unless he is REALLY nasty. Usually, all the Betta will do is chase them and act nippy. If he actually nips then they need to be seperated, but the Betta cannot be put back in the cup for long or you will have fin rot or ich or velvet (the cool water diseases) from his being out of the heated water.

If nothing else, get him a Kritter Keeper and put a heater in it or use it for the Cories although they really need 10 gallons of water. How big is your tank? If your betta feels crowded, he is going to be aggressive. One betta with Cory cats need at least 10 gallons of water.

Rose

Here is the Kritter Keeper:

Sparkling Diamonds

I've got a 5 gallon hex.

I read and was told that 2 cories and a betta should do fine and that corys produce a light bioload. And to keep an eye on water perameters and that partial water changes may end up being more frequent, but that's not a problem, since I do have a bit of free time on my hands.

Don't worry, Neil's little tank is being heated and i'm watching the tempurature very closely to make sure he doesn't get sick, I love the little guy and don't want him hurt! Though he did rip his tail (On what, I don't know...) But i'm watching him closely to make sure that he doesn't come down with finrot. I'm also giving him vitachem to help the regeneration of his tail, there's no gravel jsut a plant which is attached to the bottom by a suction cup and i'm keeping his water perfectly clean. I think I may end up getting a kritter keeper and having Neil in it on his own, he is the most aggressive betta I have owned yet and i'm not sure he'd be ok with anything else. But I'll admit, it's definitely something to love about him.

The cories on the other hand are in great shape. And the one cory who was nipped is practically all healed up now, which was extremely quick!

voiceless_kat

Hi! Neil is so beautiful...............lucky you. Welcome and best of luck with the spunky little guy!! Val

Jendayi

Welcome to Neil! He is a very striking color, again I just can't get over the diversity of these little guys. Good luck with acclimating him to his tank mates!

chickadee

It is not that the cories have such a heavy bioload but they need groups of three and they get to 2.5 or 3 inches in length unless you have Pygmy cories then you need 6 of them. This is what makes them need a larger tank. They just need it for their size in general and then if you add a little betta at 2.5 inches you have around 10 inches with 3 of them. Even if you only keep the 2 you have and one betta you will have 7.5 inches of fish in the 5 gallon tank which is about 150% more bioload than you should have and the surface of the hex tank is less than a rectanglular tank so that slightly lowers the capacity a bit more. No you are overstocked. Now 2 otos and a betta is another matter.

Rose

Sparkling Diamonds

Every pet store that i've gone to around here, none of them carry ottos. I'd love to get some otherwise.

antisen

I have the exact same problem with Otos, can't find them ANYWHERE. And I heard they're rather sensitive and therefore shouldn't be ordered online / shipped. Where the heck does everyone get them from?

Sparkling Diamonds

I would love to know this too! Hopefully not in specialty fish shops, because there's NONE around here...just the big chain stores.

COBettaCouple

The ones that we got came from petco. they don't regularly keep them in but sometimes have a few. maybe you can talk to the manager at your LPS and see if they can order some and/or let you know when the next shipment of fish is coming in since the otos go fast.

Sparkling Diamonds

Well, i'm going to keep my eyes peeled. Even though i'm really quite attached to my cories. I honestly think they'll be fine.

I also figured out the betta situation. You see, after a few days I rearranged the tank, and gave Neil a few days for a time out. I reintroduced him into the 5 gallon today, and he freaked. He became even more agressive! He began flaring at the cories, and nipping at them! So with that, I took him out again. Then I began to think about my other fish... Maybe a swap of tanks is on order....

SO! I looked at Paris, and Helios.... Paris is extremely playful and would probably think of the cories as some fn toy to chase around and tease. Not to mention, he's so content in his tank right now as it is, I wouldn't dare disturb that. Helios has always been pretty mellow... so I figured i'd try him in there. I've had a close eye on him all day and the worst thing that he's done to the cories is just sneak up behind them and startle them. He seems very curious, and is loving his new home. It also looks pretty nice, since Helios is gold, and the cories are albino... it's a nice gold tank. I love it!

Neil has been put in the 3 gallon where Helios was, and he's roaming around, seems pretty content. Though when I took him out of the 5 gallon, he ripped his tail on a plant (mentioned plant had been removed) and now he's on the mend. He ripped his tail in that tank before, too and it took only 2 days for it to heal! With the helpp of vita chem, that is. I am loving that stuff!

COBettaCouple

Glad to hear the bettas are in the better tanks for them. Hope Neil heals up fast.

armadillo

I have a video! I just watched it and I sincerely apologise for the blurriness. (No, it's not your eyes...it's my phone!) I can't figure out, for the life of me, how to make it not so blurry. But, i'm also going to try and take some plain pictures, if Neil will stay still! haha
Beautiful fish.

I think we have the same tank (the hex). I find it a beautiful tank, but a shame that it has more swimming space vertically than horizontally.

Top Bottom