I have a lot of snails now...

1. K3NN3TH Initiate Member

Is this bad or dangerous?

I probably have about 20-30 small snails crawling around everywhere? Is there an easy way to get rid of them? Do they pose an adverse situation to my tank? I don't mind having a couple around, but I don't want a hundred snails either.

2. crazedACD Member Member

You can try putting a cucumber or zucchini slice in a cup or bowl, leave it overnight, and in the morning you should find a bunch of them in there. Overfeeding can cause a snail population explosion, so make sure you are not feeding too much. Snails aren't necessarily bad but then again you have a lot of stock in a small aquarium, and the extra bioload from the snails won't help matters :).

3. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Usually snails are bad news for planted tanks. I'm not sure exactly what size your tank is as I'm not familiar with it but if you have room for more stock, (please don't overstock), then you could look at a few dwarf chain loaches to munch on your snails. Failing that either remove them by hand or I find an easy way to get rid of them is to do the bowl trick with some lettuce or whatever, but turn it upside down. The snails will gather underneath it overnight & you can just scoop them out with either a net or your hands. You can also use a 2lt jusice bottle the same way. Just remove the lid, give it a good rinse, shove some lettuce inside & lay it on it's side in the bottom of the tank over night. In the morning, just remove the bottle.

4. ctclee Member Member

I have the same Issue how long do you need to keep doing this ? is there a way to make sure no more eggs are laid ? (not trying to threadjack)

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Usually when you have snails, the reason for the explosion is over feeding.
    Try feeding less for a while......hopefully that will help you get the situation under control.