i have a how long the lights should be on question. lol 29 Gallon Tank

1. jersey

jersey Valued Member Member

ok so i dont have any real plants in my tank. but i am just wondering how long do the lights have to be on for the fish. or if its okay to turn the lights off if i go to work to save hydro and put them back on when i want to watch them when i get home. my bedroom gets some light during the day so they wouldnt be in total darkness. what do you think?

2. funkman262

funkman262 Well Known Member Member

I'm no expert on this so I wouldn't go by what I say alone but having any sunlight on the tank poses a risk of algae growth so you might want to be careful about that. I keep my tanks (fake plants) on a timer for 10 hours a day straight through. Others here break up the hours for a total of around 10 hours (because of algae growth and heat I think, hopefully someone can give more info about that).

3. Flyfrod

Flyfrod Valued Member Member

I leave my lights on for 12 hours a day, but thats just me. Your tank light really doesn't use that much energy anyway. I have 6 tanks running right now and havrn't noticed a rise in my electric bill.

4. OP
    OP
    jersey

ok because id be glad to have it off when im gone so i can have it on longer when im here. especially when im going to bed haha and i can just watch them without feeling like im keeping my fish up too late. bad fish mom. lol. no there is no real sunlight just like daylight the sun never shines in the room directly. and i dont think i can grow algea atleast i havnt seen any yet.

5. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I run my lights for 8 hrs on all of my tanks. I split the cycle in halves. Lights on at 8am, off at noon, on again at 5pm then off at 9pm for the rest of the night. This cycle helps me deal with high temps in summer. It is also good for helping prevent algae & as a bonus the lights are on more when I'm at home. If you want longer light periods just split it into two 5-6hr periods with a 3-5hr break in the middle. This light cycle will not have any negative effects on fish or plants.

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,
    I do the same as Nutter. Lights on 7-11AM Off from 11AM until 3PM Back on 3PM until 10PM. Total of 11 hours daily. I try to make sure mine are off during the hottest part of the day too.
    Ken

7. OP
    OP
    jersey

okay yeah that would be a good idea for me as in the summer it can get pretty warm up here in the afternoon