I have a good question about water refills need ideas

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Can I go straight from the bathroom sink with a hose, directly to the tank it self and just add my dechlorinator and or other water treatments directly to the tank?

I am trying to make water changes easier on my self so my father gave me a section of hose I figured out a way to attach itt o the bathroom sink, assuming my ph is the same and I do not need to age the water and I got the temp correct first can I just add the dechlor tot he tank and fill straight from the tap? My only concern is adding the dechlor to my tank directly will this dilute the solution to much? but then on the other hand I have no chlorine/chlorimines in the tank, so say I was to put 20 gallons of fresh water intot he tank and treat the tank for 20 gallonbs with the dechlo 10ml of dechlor for 20 gallons would this work or be ok or not at all?

Thanks for the help!

Other wise I maybe able to put the 20 gallons into a large trash can like I do now throw a pump in there and attacht he hose to the pump and then add itt o my tank that way, this would require more ingunity on my part as I do not have the proper fittings for this kind of set up but I do got the pump, hmm any thoughts?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fish Monster said:
Can I go straight from the bathroom sink with a hose, directly to the tank it self and just add my dechlorinator and or other water treatments directly to the tank?
It's called a Python, and is an invaluable tool for fishkeeping.

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have read that some people add water straight to the tank from the tap but treat the entire volume of tank water with a water conditioner. So If your tank is 90 gallon you treat the whole 90 gallon.

I was actually at a fish vet last week and he told me he does exactly that on water changes himself.

More info in a similar thread here:

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok well these ideas will work and I do have a seperate little shower lokking head thing below the actually shower head in this shower that I could probaly tap into, but my question also is how do I treat the tank? do I just treat for the new water comming in or do I need to do what Jeffcameron said and treat the whole 55 gallon tank as if I would be putting in a 100% water change even though its not?
In other words treat for the 20 gallons or so comming in or treat the entire 55 gallon tank even though I am only doing a partial? thanks again guys

UNTAMEDlore

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Heres How It Works If Your Gonna Add Water Straight To Your Tank From The Tap Then You Need To Calculate Your Water Conditioner On Tank Volume, If Your Gonna Add It From Buckets Or Jugs Etc.. Then You Need Only Calculate For The Water Your Adding As Long As You Add The Conditioner To The Water In Jug Before Adding To Tank. I Belive Its Better To Add The Conditioner To The Water B4 Adding To The Tank Only Becoz Less Chem In Your Tank Cant Be A Bad Thing

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good afternoon,

I pre-treat with Amquel +, Nova Aqua and Immune Plus, heat and filter my water for water changes in another aquarium. I do water changes every 5 days. So I don't add chemicals directly into my tank with every water change. I do however treat the entire tank every 10 days.

If I went straight from my tap I would treat the entire tank volume right before I added the water. Even if it's just a few gallons of water change.

If I used a bucket, I would treat what is in the bucket then add it to the tank. Every now and then I'd dose the entire tank.

Ken

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use a python straight from the tap into the tank. I get the temp pretty close by hand and small $6 thermometer. Then just push it into the tank. Dechlor goes in while it fills, a few drops every so often into the water stream. I don't measure, just guesstimate. Really, I keep things that simple.

I will say that I WISH I had room to fill trashcans with water and age it. Would be much better for me (breeding purposes and such). But to keep it simple and easy....hose from tap to tank, no problems.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you much so I guess I will be going thru the dechlor a bit faster than I normally do but man it will make my life so much easier when it comes to water changes. I got it now I will just use the dechlor on my entire tank 55 gallons then add my water from the tap thanks for all the help guys. This is kind of what I figuerd but I thought I would ask just in case I could save some coin, but it worth the extra dechlor and money to make the water changes a bit eaiser on me thank you all fro so much help you been great. Oh and Slug you have not run inot issues doing it this way? Obviously your ph is like mine very close to the tank ph but Imean how do youknow you are ading enough dechlor?

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd recommend Prime for dechlor. Takes a few drops and a bottle can last a while. I use a bit more but only needs a few drops. As the water is flowing in, I drop some into the flow.

How do you know you are adding enough? I don't, just used to doing it. Its like when you watch the food network and they visit these old hometown country kitchens and the cook is just throwing this and that in...not really measuring. Thats what I do. Just a few drops or some poured into the cap.

UNTAMEDlore

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
PRIME WILL LAST UNTILL YOUR NEXT WATER CHANGE, also i dont recommend that you guestimate when using any chemicals in ur tank, alot of fish die this way always use the bare min required LESS IS MORE

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hmm good stuff here I usually go a little over my self just to be on the safe side, I do not over do it Ijust feel a bit more cofortable if I add say 20 gallons I treat for 30 just that little extra makes me feel confident that there is no chlorine/chlorimines in the water if I use just the rite amount that was at the mfg recomendations of 5ml per 10 gallons I think I would still like the added security of putting just a tad more in and in the 7 weeks I have been keeping discus I have not run into any issues yet. Thank you for all the input I am going to give it a go rite now wish me luck!!!

UNTAMEDlore

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
the company that has made the product already adds a touch more than need to the req dose instructions so 2 cover there bum, I belive its ur call dude and im sure 7 weeks is pleanty of time required to gain the experience needed to be so sure lol any way mate prime can safly be used up to 3 times the required dose but ever bit of chem is doing ur fish harm even if it dosnt kill them right away it sure shortens there life span:

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've always used more then usual with no ill effects.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
All I meant is that I have been doing my water changes now for 7 weeks or so they same way and it does not seem to be doing any harm with the way I have been doing it, thats what I meant by that I know I have a lot to learn thats why I am here asking questions.

I mean if I was doing something wrong I would think I would have noticed by now, I would hope any way that is unless what I am doing is slowly killing them and I do not know it, but as far as I can tell they same to be fine with no ill effects thus far adn thats all I have to go by.

In fact they are growing seem happy rush up to the glass now when I enter the room for food eat out of my hand and even my wife has noticed that they are all growing and getting bigger.

So if I were to measure off of that even though I have only been doing this a realitively short amount of time I would say I am doing an ok job at least well enough my fish are growing swiming eating and are not dead.

I usually ask Slug before I do anything new and ask the other members for their imput as well I would say although new I am taking the rite steps to ensure I keep up with what would seem to be my countined sucess.

I did do a water change the new way the way Slug's been doing his but I meauser becuase I am to nervous not to I treated for 60 gallons instaed of 55 so I do not go over board just a little bit to make me feel more confident and comfprtable thank you again for all your help

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom