I have a ghost and it hates fish.... Funny

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by fishynoob, Nov 26, 2012.

1. fishynoob

fishynoobWell Known MemberMember

I've been living with an irritating problem that after trying all possible combinations I have decided it must be a ghost!

From time to time the filter on my 100L gets unplugged it's really weird. I have a heater and lights plugged into the same extension cord and there used to be a second pump also plugged into there too but they are never affected.
    The wire has plenty of slack a dip loop and all that you would expect so it is not pulling itself out. I have blamed my fiancé for moving the sofa when his friends come pulling out the wire but its happened again last night and his mates didn't come round! It was all fine last night at 10pm and again at 12pm when I added the fungus meds to the tank and then came down to check on the babes due to a panic! Everyone was fine all fish were fine. Came downstairs at 7 and I thought it was quiet and sure enough the cable was unplugged and I don't mean slightly out of the socket I mean a good 40cm away from the socket!

The only other possible solution is that I was sleepwalking again I did dream about my fish last night so it's a possibility. My fiancé suggested getting a camera set up to film the plug through the night but after watching paranormal activity I don't think I would have the guts to watch the recording back!! We have had many other "freaky" things happen it's getting quite spooky in my household at the moment!

I hope this isn't doing any harm and I hope it is not to blame for my current fungus outbreak. I never thought about it before as I always had two filters on this tank but I removed one to kick start the cycling on my other tank. I think I need to get it back set up on this tank now!

I am not having much luck with equipment at the moment. I broke a tetratec 1200 replaced it with an all ponds solutions one that is so noisy it triggers my migraines the same filter (due to my own fault) spat at me in the mouth and dripped down to my plug. Now this mysterious plug socket thing on my smaller tank...

I'll be keeping a close eye on my water parameters for a good while.

Would you set up a camera to try and catch the unplugging in action? If you did record on a night it unplugged would you have the guts to watch it back?!

2. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

First of all if this were happening to me, I would have to find out what is happening, so yes, I would set up a camera and watch it.

However, here is another option for just the immediate problem of keeping the power cord in without solving the problem of why it is happening:

Try a power strip cover that is designed for baby proofing:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000056JJF/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1353931646&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

It will make unplugging the power cord harder - make it hopefully only possible for a conscious adult to deliberately unplug - eliminating accidental or sleep walking or I bet even some ghosts which may not have the dexterity and know how of a fully conscious adult.

However, I would strongly recommend setting up and watching the video. If this is happening to this power cord, if you cannot figure out what is causing it, what if you stop it from happening to one power cord but in the future get same problem with a different power cord which may have even worse results.

3. OP
    OP
    fishynoob

Wow I didn't know that those existed that would be really helpful cheers for that! The house was supposedly haunted when we brought it the previous occupant had it exorcised by a local priest! We have things moving around constantly and the other night my fiance kept feeling something tug at his top when he was making a midnight snack. I don't know what to think about these latest events the lights keep turning themselves on and off recently too. If only my fish could talk I bet they would know what's going on!

4. brodylane1122

brodylane1122Well Known MemberMember

hmmm...sounds fishy...keep us updated on this.

5. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

Is it possible that your fiancé has a weird sense of humor and is doing this to you?

6. Bumblebat

BumblebatWell Known MemberMember

...lol

7. OP
    OP
    fishynoob

Nope he wouldn't do that as much as he is a "they are fish" type of guy he's attached enough to not do anything to harm them he was pretty upset when we got that parasite in the tank and the fish started dropping like flys.

8. DianaFayeNew MemberMember

Try the outlet cover and hidden camera thing. On the off chance that it is a ghost, maybe ask them nicely to leave it alone?? If it's just a "playful" spirit, you might be able to reason with it lol. It's ok the play the jokes on you n your fiance but the fish are off limits lol. (Watch this be bad advice and the ghost ends up pulling out the whole power strip... in which case I'm sry lol)

9. OP
    OP
    fishynoob

hahaha me and my fiance have had a running disagreement on the use of video cameras to try and catch the spooky goings on. Part of me wants to live in denial and if i did catch something (hopefully I would become rich of the back of it) but as a downside the protective bubble of ignorance or denial mat be permanently shattered! I will try the socket cover if I can get hold of one if all else I have cats and kids and electricity doesn't always fit in well with that. (It's not the cats doing it that room is closed at night and checked for cats beforehand I wouldn't want to come downstairs to cat wee or worse!)

10. RandomZoid

RandomZoidValued MemberMember

Record it and sell it to a studio as Paranormal Aquatic Activity. haha

A ghost with a vengeance against a fish who had done him wrong.

11. OP
    OP
    fishynoob

maybe it's the ghost of the person in the rhyme "once I caught a fish alive"

12. OP
    OP
    fishynoob

Ok update:

I think the unplugging has done some damage it looks like I am going through a bacteria bloom the water is cloudy and there is a white slime on the glass this comes of easily with a quick wipe but within 10 mins its back again. I just did a 30% water change the fish seem to be ok although they are not swimming as much as they were before.

Did a water test nothing exciting to report 0,0,0. I usually have 0,0, >5 so I am not sure if I have lost the cycle I will test again tomorrow. The only other thing I can think of is a sudden increase in bioload due to yet more babies being born. I actually witnessed one being born which was amazing although different to how I expected one was born (From a bumblebee platy) with a black head already I thought they would be born all the same and develop colour later? Unless it was to do with the fungus meds I put in I did over dose unwittingly the fungus has since cleared up but that was done on Sat the same day of the last unplugging. Any ideas?

13. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

I think id set up the camera. But id make my fiance watch it. Lol. I think it would freak me out lol. I lived in a house with a ghost before. A little girl. She never bothered me but when I moved out she threw the new occupants stuff around and screamed at him "what did you do with her!" So I think she liked me lol.

14. OP
    OP
    fishynoob

A pic of my possible bloom. The tank is still under 1 year old and they have just had babies.... not that you could tell in the water! I had just fed them in this pic to make sure they were all still there as I couldn't find one... but he showed up for feeding time!

by  , on Flickr

by  , on Flickr

Any green tint to the cloudyness is a reflection from my green sofa lol this stuff is really white. Sorry for the blurriness in the second I was trying to take a pic without the green reflection!

@jd Lol. The pervious occupant in this house was killed in an aeroplane crash she was a hostess, don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  15. RandomZoid

Wow, indeed some sort of bacteria boom. I would personally do 30% water changes twice a day til it stopped doing that.

16. OP
    OP
    fishynoob

Rightio bit late for another one today but I shall do two tomorrow. I have only ever seen this in a tank that was fishless and being cycled and even then it wasn't this bad. Tested again 0,0,0 (very very slight colouring)

Yesterday it was crystal clear!

17. RandomZoid

How long has it been? Sometimes after messing with the filter, like from when it was unplugged, the sponge will let out a lot of bits of grime and debris. This usually clears up within a day though.

Has anything else changed about your tank in the last week? I'm wondering because if your still getting 0-0-0 readings then I don't see how your filter was affected at all.

Maybe try taking a water sample to a lfs to be tested, maybe your test readings are inaccurate.

18. luke355027355027Well Known MemberMember

Take the video and ill watch it for you. I might just pay more attention to the tank though

19. WaterSpirit

WaterSpiritValued MemberMember

have you been having trouble with your breaker? maybe it's ball lightning? do you live in europe? maybe its the type of plug you have...RECORD IT whatever it is. I bet it's you sleepwalking since you say you do sleepwalk. need to post that video. either a ghost or you would be interesting to see. If you were asleep doing this, it would be interesting to see you manage pulling out a specific plug without knocking over the entire tank. try getting an extension cord and plugging it into a different outlet and see if it still happens. if it's a ghost, maybe that's his/her socket...

20. OP
    OP
    fishynoob

This cloudyness only appeared this morning (Wed). Last night (Tue) at 6pm (last I saw it it was fine) The filter got unplugged on Sunday night.
    I may have to set up my cctv camera I got as a baby cam when my son was born it messes with the wifi though.

I have not had any problems with my breaker that I am aware of. I have a light on my landing which chooses when it wants to be on or off but I we think we have solved that problem.

I don't know what ball lightning is I do live in Europe, England to be exact. The plug as it is already on 4 way extension lead so that it can reach the nearest plug socket (the wire runs down the back of my sofa.) It is quite easy to reach without danger of knocking the tank over, and I am used to fishing around there because the switch for the light is down there.

I guess it's possible that I sleepwalk to look at the tank and instead of flipping the switch on I unplug the filter hey I've done stranger! I'll have to start keeping a dream diary and tank unplugging nights.

There doesn't seem to be a regularity to it happening it happened two or three times a week for a while then nothing for a while then the odd once or twice a month, then another sprint of it happening again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice