i have a crazy idea, but would it work?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by PuffPuff, Jul 8, 2015.

1. PuffPuff

PuffPuff Well Known Member Member

I have this idea of putting a 10 gallon over my 20 gallon and have the fish be able to swim within both tanks. i drew this sketch. the grey parts on there would be bricks to hold the tank at an elevated position.
    i would have it with an auto top off so that the water doesnt ever drop causing the water in my 10 to over flow the 20 gallon.
    just ideas here. any input would be cool

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Interesting, but looks a little unstable imo.......

3. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

perhaps it might be unstable. but it would be a cool idea if it worked out. so in reality ill have a 30 gallon. lol

4. BornThisWayBettas

I'd just be worried about it collapsing and then you'll have a huge mess on your hands.

5. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Interesting concept. You should fine-tune the details and patent it. lol

6. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

so true. wouldnt want that. i have carpet.

7. BornThisWayBettas

Another thing that would be bad is if is fell in while you were away on vacation. It could be a disaster for everyone involved, the fish, the tank, your wallet. I personally wouldn't do it. :)

8. I keep fish

I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Seems like a cool idea. Your going to spend so much time and money when you could just get a 29 gallon.But good luck if you do :)

9. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If you have a look on YouTube there are several videos on how to do an upside down aquarium

10. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

well i have a 10 gallon there. bare and dry, and im cant buy another tank cause the wife doesnt agree to it. is the wife aint happy no one is. so yeah....

11. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

It's doable, I've seen videos on YouTube of elevated compartments like that, the issue you have is dead spots in water flow and things like that.
    as well as making it stable enough that it won't collapse.

12. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

dead spots! hmmm never saw that coming. you may be right. but its pausable then.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice