I Have A Betta With An Odd Tail Shape

1. M

Maggie Curtis New Member Member

506EEAA6-048B-42B9-BBC2-BEC246ABFA30.png 38204D4A-50B0-46D9-9F8E-97F1453EDB40.jpeg I have had Finnick for about 9 months now and I was wondering if his tail fin shape is something I should be concerned about. It seems to have grown in an odd way where he has two sections going beyond what the rest of he tail is going. I want him to be healthy and happy, any insights on why his tail is the way that it is. He is a koi betta if that helps at all. Attached is pictures of when I first got him and very recently.

2. Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

Wait! Those are the same betta!? He's beautiful before and after!! Makes me wonder if mine is going to color change one day.
    Sorry, got distracted. Honestly, I don't think it's anything to worry about. I would guess it may just be from breeding that part of his tail may just grow a bit longer. I think it's cute. :)

3. Tsin21

Tsin21 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't worry about it, it's more of a cosmetic issue. As long as it does not impede the fish in swimming and you have a beautiful betta by the way.

4. Rainy day

Rainy day Well Known Member Member

Doesn't seem too far off from an ordinary spade tail to me, nothing to worry about!

5. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

You’ve got a color changing gene, and that’s completely normal. The betta can look totally different many years later than when he did when you first got him.

6. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

The points just indicate he has some crowntail in him, he looks like an interesting plakat halfsun betta with really thick rays.

7. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

could be a weird spade tail betta
    maxresdefault.jpg