I have a 9 y/o rabbit, and I've got some questions

Littlewoman01
I've had my girl Isabell for her whole life, since I was ten (I'm almost 19 now) and she has had very minimal health issues in her life. She's had two eye problems (infection and ulcer) and she was spayed around three years ago with a lot of trouble getting back on her feet a month or so after that. Recently I've noticed she's lost weight, she used to be overweight (around 6 pounds) and now she weighs only 2 pounds... She is still eating and drinking like normal and is not showing any signs of other illnesses. She does not exercise hardly at all and I don't know how to coax her to move around more to gain muscle. Any ideas on how to put some weight back on her and maybe build muscle? I also have a male rabbit that is only three years old (neutered) and he gets nervous when I or Isabell leave him, he has to have one of us or he'll get really scared, so he gives Isabell a lot of company but I still don't know how to exercise them. Any ideas on anything I said will be very helpful!

Joshaeus
Can you increase how much you are giving her for rabbit pellets? That is the only thing I can think of...I have yet to have kept a rabbit that reached old age (my first rabbit died while being neutered at about 1.5 years old, my second is currently about a year and a half old).

Littlewoman01
Joshaeus said:
Can you increase how much you are giving her for rabbit pellets? That is the only thing I can think of...I have yet to have kept a rabbit that reached old age (my first rabbit died while being neutered at about 1.5 years old, my second is currently about a year and a half old).
Yes I'll try and increase her pellets, it is a bit difficult since she is in the same area as my other rabbit, but maybe I can taker her or him out while she eats.
I'm really sorry to hear that about your first rabbit, I've never heard of them passing in that way, maybe it was the sedation or a complication. I wish you the best of luck with your new rabbit though! And if you've got any questions I can try to answer them since I've got a lot of experience with them. Thank you for you input!

Joshaeus
Littlewoman01 said:
Yes I'll try and increase her pellets, it is a bit difficult since she is in the same area as my other rabbit, but maybe I can taker her or him out while she eats.
I'm really sorry to hear that about your first rabbit, I've never heard of them passing in that way, maybe it was the sedation or a complication. I wish you the best of luck with your new rabbit though! And if you've got any questions I can try to answer them since I've got a lot of experience with them. Thank you for you input!
No prob I made a poor choice of vet...he overdosed the anesthetic and the rabbit (Vulcan) stopped breathing. My current rabbit, Coal, is a jet black rex rabbit and is very dear to me...very hyper when I am not in his 4 foot high dog playpen with him (he could clear a 3 foot one and got dangerously close with a 42 inch one), but when I come in with him he is more interested in chewing on my clothes, jumping on my shoulder and licking my clothing from there, or lying down next to me and having me pet his cheek or forehead. My room has a lot of aquarium wires, so I need the playpen when he is out to keep him out of trouble.

Littlewoman01
Joshaeus said:
No prob I made a poor choice of vet...he overdosed the anesthetic and the rabbit (Vulcan) stopped breathing. My current rabbit, Coal, is a jet black rex rabbit and is very dear to me...very hyper when I am not in his 4 foot high dog playpen with him (he could clear a 3 foot one and got dangerously close with a 42 inch one), but when I come in with him he is more interested in chewing on my clothes, jumping on my shoulder and licking my clothing from there, or lying down next to me and having me pet his cheek or forehead. My room has a lot of aquarium wires, so I need the playpen when he is out to keep him out of trouble.
Haha you guys sound super attached to each other, I love that! I have a similar issue with quite a few aquariums (fish, geckos, hamster) and so there are a lot of wires. Currently I have Isabell and Noah in a large area by my bed (I took apart an XL dog kennel and used to metal side to block the area off for them).

Isabell just wants pets and treats Noah wants to cuddle and explore, he often lays in bed with me and licks my nose it's super cute!

FishFor2018
When my rabbit lost weight, it was because she wasn’t eating enough hay. Maybe try some different hays to get her to eat more hay or one of those essential oil hays. Do they have a large run area? If so I wouldn’t worry about exercising them as they tend to do a lot of running when we are asleep. It sounds like your male might have anxiety, there is a seller on Esty (TheWellKeptRabbit) with an herb remedy that is supposed to work well if you want to try that for him. She is up there in age of course so if she dosent gain weight and she keeps loosing I would see a vet but best of luck with your girl.

AggressiveAquatics
I don’t know anything about rabbits but why would you get her spayed if she didn’t have another rabbit with her?

FishFor2018
Darwinthebloodparrot said:
I don’t know anything about rabbits but why would you get her spayed if she didn’t have another rabbit with her?
Female rabbits have a high chance of developing cancer if they don’t get spayed and they can be aggressive unless spayed

AggressiveAquatics
FishFor2018 said:
Female rabbits have a high chance of developing cancer if they don’t get spayed and they can be aggressive unless spayed
Oh ok thanks for the info like I said I don’t know anything about rabbits so sorry if it came across kind of rude

FishFor2018
Darwinthebloodparrot said:
Oh ok thanks for the info like I said I don’t know anything about rabbits so sorry if it came across kind of rude
No problem, it didn’t come across rude at all!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom