150 Gallon Tank i have a 150 gal is a dresser an option

she_33

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hello everyone, I dont know what to do" I have a 150 gallon that has never been set up>Moving to my new home and im now ready" the problem is we dont have a stand,the ones we have seen are outrageous in price,PLEASE if you have any suggestions let me know>Ive heard about dressers but a little skeptical.Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited:

kuopan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i know. it's surprising... stands are often more expensive than the tank itself = /

if you're handy, you can always build one. that way you can structure how much support you want to build into it too. visit home depot =)

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore She_33
the reason they cost so much is because they have to make them to hold so much weight in your case with rock and a few plants your looking at about 1500 lbs. make sure what ever you use can handle it and not be top heavy to tip over. it should not have legs IMO so it spreads the weight over more of the floor.. JMHO

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't really think a dresser could hold it, though it might be able to. The main problem I see is finding one big enough, it would have to be 6'x18" at least and also be flat on top. One other thing I can think of, though might be just as much as a regular stand, would be getting a bunch of cinder blocks, stack them up and then maybe put a piece of plywood on top :

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Build one or buy one....150 gallons of water is around 1200 pounds. That would be a disaster if it was on your floor. Not to mention dangerous. Certainly not worth the risk.
I just built one for my 40G that would hold a truck. Just a frame would run about 30$. I face mine with trim etc. all in all it will be around $100.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to Fishlore! For a 150 gallon tank, I wouldn't trust anything but a custom made stand specifically for the tank.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

she_33

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks for the welcome,I am not handy at all, right now wish i was, Ive considered placing it on the floor' whats the thought on that, or maybe a sturdy metal frame?

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
they make medal frame stands for the tank and they are made to hold the weight, but they can be top heavy. If you do go this route make sure you put wood under the legs to spread the weight better

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would just keep my eye out for a good used stand on CL and/or the local papers.

If you don't know what you doing, don't build your own.

anunez91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
you could maybe pay a friend or someone you know to build one for you, so long as they know what theyre doing, Try searching online for plans and see if anyone else has built a stand for a tank your size, then give them to someone to build for you, that would still be way cheaper than buying one.

i found this as well, maybe it can help. Its just the absolute basic frame, but im sure for another 40 or 50 bucks you can fix it up nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2B5bSgPwuw

and the site he recommended

just look for the calculator link on the side.

Hope this helps!

she_33

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
thanks every one<for your input ,at least now i have a clue"

ericlacross

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah, another problem with the dresser idea is that you won't be able to use the top drawers. The weight will push down too much! I did this with a 20 gallon and I can no longer use the drawer that is under it. Too see if this will happen, just sit on the dresser and try to open the drawers.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There's no way I would trust a dresser to hold up a 150gal. Even if it supports it for a little while it will sag & that would put the tank at risk of breaking. Dressers just are not made to support the weight of a fish tank long term.

A plain pine stand should set you back less than $200 brand new or you could find a good deal on Craigs List or your local classifieds newspapers. A good cheap stand is on old fridge that no longer works. Lay it down on it's side & you have a very strong flat stand that has a heap of storage underneath it. I've got 100gal worth of tanks sitting on an old fridge & a friend that has had 150gal sitting on a fridge for over 14yrs without any problems.

kuhliLoachFan

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If you can't find a steal on craigslist, then by all means, get someone handy that you know to build you a Do It yourself 2x4 stand.

Remember that water weighs 8.3lbs per gallon. So 150 gallons is 1245 pounds. With the weight of your tank itself and everything, then the stand should hold 1500 pounds or more to be safe. Imagine a tank full of water cracking because the stand sagged? How much would that cost you? It would probably cost you your desire to stay in this hobby!

W

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a dresser that I would trust with 1500 pounds, but it's something my dad made himself. It has eight 2x4s as vertical support, with a couple of 2x2s thrown in for good measure, and the sides and back are made out of solid boards, not particle board or plywood. I believe he may have crafted it to be an impromptu bridge, should he ever need to help an elephant across an 8' gap.
But no, normally I wouldn't trust a dresser with the weight of any aquarium, let alone a 100g+ one. They're usually made of particle board thrown together with a few cheap brackets.

I'm all for the DIY stand, though I prefer 4x4s for the larger aquaria. Excessive? Perhaps. But not all that much more expensive, and the reassurance is worth the extra weight and cost.

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can generally find what you need on Craigslist, you just have to be patient. If aesthetics don't matter, you can always throw down a piece of plywood and set the tank on the floor.

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If I were you I would get a friend to build one for you. The lumber itself won't be too much money and depending on who you know the labor shouldn't be that much either. Just make sure they know how much weight it has to hold.

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
do you have a local handey man that advertises in the town you live, you could price what it would take for him to build one for you , you might could get out cheaper

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom