i have a 120G tank

1. Stealth Member Member

I am looking for heaters and there is one available that is 300w SCUBA brand (that is all the info they have), will this be enough to heat the 120g aquarium. the current temp is 23-25 degrees C and i want it to get to about 27 degrees. thanks

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You want 3-5 watts per gallon. For a 120 gal, I'd do 2 300 watt heaters on opposite sides of the tank.

3. Stealth Member Member

will positioning the heater next to the filter distribute the warm water better?

4. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

Do you also have 2 filters?

5. Stealth Member Member

no i have one submerged filter and one heater.

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

It will, but you can have the heaters on opposite sides of the tank and that would be fine too.

It's not the distribution so much as the wattage. If you have two heaters, each heater has to work less. This may lengthen their lifespan and reduce the risk of something going wrong, as compared to a heater that is too small for the tank (i.e. one 300 watt heater) and is always working overtime.

7. slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Why do you want to heat to 27 degrees? The current temps are fine for Jack Dempseys or have you decided to go in a different direction?

8. Stealth Member Member

i have noticed late in the night, the temp has dropped to 22 degrees which I figured might be too cold for the JD.
    still going for a pair of JDs, I'm picking them up today