I Have A 10 Gal Tank, How Many Corys Can I Have?

1. Morgan J

Morgan J New Member Member

My tank currently has 4 neon tetras, 1 corydora, and 1 betta. My betta is not aggressive at all towards the other fish and actually sticks with the cory when hes not at the too of the tank.

I'm thinking of getting more corydora but I'm afraid my tank will be too crowded. What is the proper amount of corys to have in a 10 gal tank? Any other advice based on the fish I have in my tank, as well? Thanks!

2. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

I'm sorry but you need to rehome the neons and the cory asap.

The neon tetras are not temp compatible with the betta, they need >75 and the betta needs 78. Neons are also schooling fish and need at least 6, plus a 20 gallon long is the minimum tank size for them.

The corydoras is also a schooling fish and need at least 6. They are super active and need at minimum a 20 gallon long. I have a school in my 20 long and they are constantly swimming all over it.

I would definitely rehome the neons and the corydoras. I'm sorry but that just won't work.

3. OP
    OP
    Morgan J

Thanks for letting me know. If I get a separate 20 gal tank for the tetras and corydora would that work out? (Leaving the 10 gal for the betta)

4. Culprit

Definitely!! That would be very pretty. You would have to make sure it was a long and not a high.

Do you know what kind of corydoras it is? is it a bronze, albino, julii, or peppered?

5. OP
    OP
    Morgan J

Thank god!! I'll run to the store and get a 20 gal tomorrow with a filter and everything else.

Peppered, he's my lil baby! I felt bad about him not having any friends and I had no idea he was a schooler. I definitely should've done my research before getting the tank.

6. Kasshan

Kasshan Well Known Member Member

my opinions based on personal data; ideal minimum for neons is +12, cories +5 to really enjoy and thrive. the betta should be fine with everything since i almost have a random betta in every community tank i keep.

7. OP
    OP
    Morgan J

Thanks! My betta is a little too chill. Sometimes I get the feeling he doesn't think hes a betta lmao

8. Culprit

Perfect. I would get at least 5 more neons and at least 5 more peppered corys. Remember! Don't get them all at once you will over run your cycle.