Question I have a 1-2 year old cat fish that I’m worried is to small?

Amaracalle

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I recently took over a tank that has been up for 1-2 years and their is a redtail cat fish that’s been their from the start and is about a foot but I read they should be well pass that by now. Is it to late to try and stop his growth from being stunted or am I to late?

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What is the tank size? It is too late to stop the stunting if it has been 1-2 years.

OP
Amaracalle

Amaracalle

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
He was in a over stocked 55 gallon full of mismatched cichlids

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
There is more than one school of thought when it comes to stunting a fishes growth. Some say it is permanent, others say moving them to a bigger tank will get them growing again. I suppose it is possible that this is just a slow growing fish to begin with and the size it is at this age may be perfectly normal.

OP
Amaracalle

Amaracalle

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:
There is more than one school of thought when it comes to stunting a fishes growth. Some say it is permanent, others say moving them to a bigger tank will get them growing again. I suppose it is possible that this is just a slow growing fish to begin with and the size it is at this age may be perfectly normal.
But how will I know? Do I just put him in a bigger tank and pray he gets bigger? Is his level of activity a sign? If he is stunted what will this mean to his quality of life/life span?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Amaracalle said:
But how will I know? Do I just put him in a bigger tank and pray he gets bigger? Is his level of activity a sign? If he is stunted what will this mean to his quality of life/life span?
You can only know by moving him to a bigger tank. As to your other question on life span, I honestly don't know.

I just did a bit of reading up on this fish and it looks like yours should be much much bigger than it is right now. It seems if you want it to grow to its full potential you will have to move it to a HUGE tank meaning at least 1000 gallons and even then it is possible for this to be too small for a full grown one.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you don't think you can take care of him, you may be in luck. Have you heard of Ohio Fish Rescue? They deal with these monster fish that don't belong in the hobby. It might be worth looking into it :)

OP
Amaracalle

Amaracalle

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:
You can only know by moving him to a bigger tank. As to your other question on life span, I honestly don't know.

I just did a bit of reading up on this fish and it looks like yours should be much much bigger than it is right now. It seems if you want it to grow to its full potential you will have to move it to a HUGE tank meaning at least 1000 gallons and even then it is possible for this to be too small for a full grown one.
See that’s what I read to. now that’s not plausible for me to accomplish but my aunt in Florida happily agreed to let me build a 1500 gal pond for him end of summer if he lives as he was in horrible shape but is looking better. The most I can give him now would be to put in another 55 or 75 gal then in April try to keep my pond for my goldfish warm enough to put him in or third option build a 200 gallon pond in my garage for him. But he won’t be able to get anything bigger till end of summer

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Amaracalle said:
See that’s what I read to. now that’s not plausible for me to accomplish but my aunt in Florida happily agreed to let me build a 1500 gal pond for him end of summer if he lives as he was in horrible shape but is looking better. The most I can give him now would be to put in another 55 or 75 gal then in April try to keep my pond for my goldfish warm enough to put him in or third option build a 200 gallon pond in my garage for him. But he won’t be able to get anything bigger till end of summer
jinjerJOSH22 's idea may be the best route for you to take. I know the folks at Ohio fish rescue will go out of their way to rescue these monster size fish.

OP
Amaracalle

Amaracalle

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:
jinjerJOSH22 's idea may be the best route for you to take. I know the folks at Ohio fish rescue will go out of their way to rescue these monster size fish.
unfortunately that’s the route I’m gonna have to Have to go with. I was hoping to have a solution so I can still be involved and uPdated with him

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Amaracalle said:
unfortunately that’s the route I’m gonna have to Have to go with. I was hoping to have a solution so I can still be involved and uPdated with him
I know it is never easy but we have to do what is best for them. I don't know for sure but I suppose it is possible that you can keep in contact with them and get occasional update as to how he is doing.

Blondeath

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Amaracalle said:
Ohio Fish Rescue is amazing. They will keep you updated on him if you just ask.

New Threads