Question I Have 4 Serpae Tetras With 3 Corydoras. Is That Wise?

ricosdi2000

Reaction score
The Cory's were active until they were moved in with the tetras. Now they are not as active and I am wondering if it was a mistake.

fjh

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What size tank? Parameters? How long ago did you move them?

Unless you've seen the tetras harassing the cories, I would guess they are timid because of the new environment. Although serpaes are notorious fin-nippers, I've never really seen them go after bottom-feeders.

OP
R

ricosdi2000

Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
The Serpae may harass the corys unless you up the Serpae school to 6 or more. What size tank do you have them in and what type of substrate and decorations? Driftwood? Live plants?
I have a 20 gal tank with 2 fake plants and carribean substrate gravel. And 3 different size hollow rocks.

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Is it a 20 long or high? I'de add 3-4 more Serpae and 3-4 more Corys. They will then most likely keep to themselves and harass each other instead of other tank mates. I have a 55 with 5 Serpae a Pearl gouramI 12 Vonrio tetras some guppies some Corys and a couple other various inhabitants and my Serps have never gone after anyone except their own. Not damaging just what appears "pecking order fun" and i've had them over 2 years. But at the same time my tank is heavily planted so there are blind spots and plenty of cover. Couple pics of my 55 and my Vonrio school

Attachments

OP
R

ricosdi2000

Reaction score
Just to give you an update. I decided to remove the serpaes and put them in 5 .5 gallon tank. Bullies need to be by them selves.

New Threads