I Have 3 Harlequin Rasboras. Will They Be Stressed? Question

1. Planted Aquatics Member Member

I just picked up 3 Harlequin Rasboras and a LFS, and wondered if they would be stressed at that number. They are in a 20g planted.

2. jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

They are a schooling fish so they'd probably like at least 3 more friends to bring the number up to 6. They need friends! Just be sure to quarantine first. The original 3 will be ok while you quarantine the other ones.

3. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Did the LFS where you purchased the three rasbora's have any more? Im assuming you just got them within the last couple days... If so, go get three more of the same group... then you can put them all together as they will share much of the same immunity and bacteria.

4. Planted Aquatics Member Member

They had more. They recommended to get 3 or up so I wanted room for other fish, and I got three. :/

5. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

6 at the very minimum as suggested above.

what is the current stock in the 20g?

6. Planted Aquatics Member Member

What will happen if they get too stressed?

The stock is 1 Bristlenose Pleco and them. Not very much, planning to get some neons and platies.

7. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Go get a few more, they would, as you correctly guessed be much happier and be much more active in the tank.

8. Planted Aquatics Member Member

What will happen if they get too stressed?

9. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

@BottomDweller could help you figure out a good stock with what your interested in.

I would up the school to 6. they'll be happier and more active , being to little can sometimes bring out aggression and stress can lead to other more serious problems.

is it a tall or long ? it can change stocking options.

10. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Unless your tank is well established (running over 6 months) , I would not recommend getting neons. They are very hard to keep for a newly cycled tank. I would stick with a shoal of Rasboras.

11. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Stressed fish are at increased risk of all sorts of infectious diseases.

12. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I would skip the neons and go with 9 or 10 harlequins, 1 or 2 platies and a BN pleco

13. Planted Aquatics Member Member

Ok. What other community fish would you have? Mollies? Guppies?

14. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

I would do what @BottomDweller recommended.