I hate vacations. Help

1. SW5

SW5 Well Known Member Member

They just seem to spell misfortune and pain on my fish, which directly does the same to me.

As some of you know I lost my last platy to what I believe to be chiliodonella during my vacation, and now I came home to a strangely different DG. As I was doing a water change I noticed something strange about my DG, he has a darker face, at first I thought maybe he colored up a bit, but then I looked closer and noticed he now has a gold-ish shine to him. My immediate thought was velvet, but looking closer I am not so sure... It has the same color as velvet, but is very uniform, with it gradually fading into his normal color near where his dorsal begins. He doesn't seem to have any bahavorial changes, just happily scooting about as usual. When I came home my nitrates were a bit high, at 20 PPM, but a 50% WC fixed that. What could this be? All parameters are perfect, other than the slightly high nitrates when I came home. I don't want to jump to the conclusion that it is velvet just yet, so any input is appreciated.

P.S. - I will try to get pics up, but he won't sit still with me around!

2. OP
    OP
    SW5

Bump. Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry not to reply earlier. I was waiting for pictures, and also I am trying not to become too much of a helicopter fish keeper in the disease section.

It can be very stressful because we want to do something before the symptoms get too bad. However, medicating is too easy when we do not know what is real the problem is. I always go back-and-forth on the seesaw of doubt. Am I seeing things? Good news is regular maintenance keeps most issues and that's the hard part since you missed out on things while away on vacation. Try to stay calm (that is very hard for me always) and observant. You're doing the right thing and not jumping the gun and dumping in meds that would actually complicate matters and weaken your fish's immunity system.

4. OP
    OP
    SW5

Thanks for the reply endlercollector Sorry for not getting pics, it just won't show in a photo.

It seems to be going away as of this morning. I'm not sure what this was, maybe it was his reaction to the unusually high nitrates. Either way the problem, whatever it is, is fixing itself with clean water. However, I am not clean and clear just yet, because there is still the suspected chiliodonella, but from what I understand I can keep it at bay by keeping my their immune systems up. Not sure what happened to the platy, maybe she just had a compromised immune system, but either way, something got to her, and it killed her.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. endlercollector

I'm glad to hear that his illness appears to be resolving itself. I have come to realize that there are many bacteria in the tank at all times, and that they are in a sense living with of the fish in a symbiotic relationship. So many of the bacteria are necessary for the fish to live that we don't want to go around nuking things. Healthy fish provide a long-lived host to a multitude of bacteria, and it is actually in their best interest not to kill off their host. So if the water is well-maintained, and the fish is well fed and not stressed out, then there should be more than enough in its body to provide for some bacteria. It is when the fish is a the weakened state that bacterial infections are likely to appear. Anyway, this is why conscientious people such as yourself make better fish keepers. You pay attention even though they don't cry and bark at you ;)

6. OP
    OP
    SW5

Thanks.

I agree, antibiotics, (or really any medication) by virtue of their name, were made to kill things, and while they can be invaluable in certain cases to fight off an otherwise untreatable infection, it seems that some people at the first sight of disease will dump meds in, and while it may fix the problem temporarily, it can and usually will lead to a multitude of other issues (lowered immunity, superbugs, etc.)

At any rate, my DG looks normal again, all is (almost) well in the twenty again.

7. endlercollector

So relieved to hear that your DG looks normal again. I wish I could say that about myself LOL