I hate UPS !!!

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yes I do hate them!

Guess what they did this time ... ? They damaged the package that was supposed to be delivered to me LAST WEEK. The package had to be returned to Big Al's Online. I don't know what happens from that point. They will either refund my money, or send a new package I guess? If they'll refund my money ... this will be such a waste of time, because I'll have to order everything again. And I won't set up my tank for another 2 weeks I hate UPS ! I JUST KNEW they were going to screw something up. Knew it. My sister actually has a friend who worked at UPS a while ago, and he told her how they "handle" the packages there. They throw everything everywhere not caring about the contents. No wonder they damaged my package. If they're that stupid, let them pay for the damages they cause. As a business, they lose lots of money, instead of making profits. What a business .. lol.

Anyway, I've ordered 3 packages total. One contained the XP3 filter, the timer, and 2 heaters - I have received this one last week (Jan 19). Another one contained the Coralife fixture - received this one yesterday (Jan 22). The funny thing is that they both arrived to my town just ONE DAY after I've ordered them from Big Al's Online (I ordered everything on the 17th) - but I had to wait this long to receive the packages because of the sloppy and lazy UPS. The packages were just lying around at their (UPS's) warehouse. These are all the items not delievered to me (but - of course- paid for): Python gravel vac,  Eheim powerhead, Coralife mounting legs (for the fixture), Seachem Prime, Seachem Flourish, 1 bag of Eco-Complete (I already have 6 bags of it, but need 7 total), Aquaclear 20 power filter (for my 10 gallon tank), Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Nitrate test kit, AP Phosphate test kit, and AP GH and KH test kit. You know what ... ah, you already know that I hate UPS. I will be very angry if they don't refund my money for all of these items.

:-\

P.S. As for the Coralife fixture, I have to say it looks great and the light output is great as well. Love the color of the lamps (6,700K). It is also very nice-looking on the outside.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well that sure does suck, feel bad for you.  Just be glad you can order stuff off the internet, as of now I can't.  One way to look at it is you have plenty of time what's the rush and now you just have more time to read and research and plan.

Sorry bout the mishap :-\

O I heard about that type of light that without the legs it heated up a lot and to fix it they made legs out of pennies to raise it just enough to let airflow through but you will have legs so you won't have problems right?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi Atm,

I called Big Al's today, and they said they'll ship everything again to me ... on Monday (Jan 29). So I have to wait until then, PLUS probably a week from that day because of the sloppy and lazy UPS. The package will probably lie in their warehose in my town for days. And I'll probably end up receiving it in 2 weeks. No further comments on that topic ...

As for the Coralife Fixture, I've never heard of it heating up. But even if it does, I'll have the fixture on the adjustable legs, so nothing bad should happen.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What about just driving to big al's.

My dad won't let me buy that fixture due to all the evaporation it will cause on my tank, but maybe if I buy a glass lid and then stick it on legs on the versa-top glass lid it will work. Will have to see how yours works out before I spend all that money. It would be nice if you could keep me posted on that if you have the time here or on plantgeek if you ever have the time, thanks.

schiz

Reaction score
Your friend is absolutely correct about the way the packages are handled there, I worked with them during the Christmas rush and was amazed at the way the packages, mostly childrens presents were treated. However it somewhat seems they have sort of a monopoly on residential shipping and most shippers prefer them so not much choice I suppose.

Sorry to hear about the damage though, make sure to tell shippers to leave off the "fragile" label as those seem to get the worst treatment.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
DHL is my shipper of choice and I have never had any item I ordered and that was handled by them show up in less than perfect condition...I am also having all my fish shipped by FedEx now as they do a wonderful job of that. I have not done business with UPS since they made us tear open all the gifts we had wrapped for shipment at Christmas a year ago. The person at the desk made my mother tell her everything that was in the boxes and then she took a knife and ripped the box open and told her she would have to go home and rewrap it. After doing this to three boxes my mother would not let her see any of the others and we went home and taped them up and called DHL. No such problem there. So I have my shipping account with DHL.

Rose

Peter243243

Valued Member
Reaction score
UPS!!! What's UPS?
and what is DHL?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
United Parcel Service, the big brown trucks you see delivering the packages all over. DHL is just DHL they drive yellow vans with red lettering and deliver packages too. (only better)

Rose

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'v shipped a tank with DHL with some help from Rose and it arrived the next day in perfect condition with normal shipping, I also recieved a small item by normal USPS or whatever you get the mail with and it was fine.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thank you all so much for this information. So, now I am 100% sure that UPS SUCKS! Period! It wasn't only me. Plus, as my sister told me, they throw packages around instead of carefully handling them. You know what ... next time I order ANYTHING, I will choose either FedEx or DHL (or both, to see how both are) if the place from which I order will have options for FedEx and DHL (I suppose they all do, only I've always chosen UPS so far).

Atm, I will take pictures for you, no problem I haven't taken any yet because I am just stuck waiting for the legs. I'm not able to set up my tank yet. But when I am setting up everything, I'll take lots of pictures for everyone to see. I also promised Golden Fish the pictures of the XP3 filter and its media. So, everyone, patience Sorry for making you wait so long ... :-\

P.S. Imagine if I ordered live plants via UPS !!! HA HA ... right! Not going to happen now! Thanks to all of you once again - you have averted a possible disaster with my plants if I ordered them via UPS.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Isabella (if I have missed this forgive me ) But are you putting glass tops on your aquarium? I've noticed that mine with the glass tops have less evaporation (even tho I leave one side open) and there is less chance fish will jump out or that water will splash on a hot light. just some thoughts.
Carol

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes please let me know Isabella, and if you do use glass tops like Butterfly said it would be nice if you can tell me if you get a lot of glare from it being on the legs. No rush I'm not going to be buying anything till summer for my 29,

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Carol, yes I already have the glass top I have everything bought and ready, except for the 3rd package I am now waiting for (and all of its contents, as described above). I definitely don't want to have any incidents with fish jumping out and getting burned by the light. I have a compact fluorescent fixture, so this is quite some heat (well, nothing like those 200 - 400W fixtures of course, but 130W is definitely more than a standard 40W as for a 75 gallon tank). As for the water splashing on the hot lights, I don't think that's possible with the Coralife fixture because it has a splash guard, so even if one didn't have a glass top, the water wouldn't touch the lamps (only the splash guard). I could have no glass top in fact, but I want it for the sake of my fish staying where they're supposed to be - in the tank, lol

Atm, do you mean the light reflecting off the glass top? In various directions in the room, or perhaps in one's eyes? I don't have the legs yet, but once I do, I'll let you know But I don't think the light's reflection should be a problem. But, of course, we'll see that soon. As I've said, I don't have the legs yet, but they're supposed to be adjustable. I am guessing that means being able to adjust the height at which the light will sit. If the light will reflect off the glass too much, I suppose you can adjust it to sit at a lower level?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ya that's what I mean

O just remembered I was talking to my cousins tonight and we were talking about their jobs and ya I just remembered my cousins works for UPS. He just drives the trucks though.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
OK, I've finally received my tracking number for the re-shipped package (quite late as I was supposed to have it on Monday). And now it's 2 packages, not 1. I am guessing that they made a separate package for the Eco-Complete. And this makes me further guess that the part of the previous order that UPS damaged was the Eco-Complete (they never told me what was damaged). They must have perforated Eco-Complete's bag and it must have leaked. Or worse - they spilled the entire gravel out of its bag. Who knows ... UPS is capable of anything.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Got the 2 packages today ... "wow" ... right? LOL This time, everything arrived intact, and Eco-Complete wasn't perforated. So, I'm glad I'm done with that order. Now I just have to make a quick order for the rest of the media for my canister filter, and some aquascaping tools for the plants. I want to set up the tank already!

Atm, I believe you asked about Coralife adjustable legs for the fixture? Well, they're great if you won't have ANY kind of a top over your tank. I wish Big Al's Online had that information listed in the product's information, but they didn't. It says on the box that you cannot have any kind of a top over your tank if you're using the legs. If you attach the legs to your tank, you have no space to place the tank cover (be it glass or acrylic or whatever the cover). I probably won't use the legs. But I'll keep them just in case the fixture will make my glass cover too hot. Sucks, huh? Oh well ...

Plus, I don't think the legs are worth the cost at which they're sold. I thought they would be made of some good quality material, but they're plain plastic. I don't think this is a good quality product - but that's me (Maybe I am too picky.) This is a Coralife product ... yet the Coralife fixture is GREAT quality ... so go figure, lol.

As for the Eheim powerhead ... GREAT quality - made of a very good and durable material and has an excellent design. I like it so much that I now definitely want to buy the Eheim filter, and I will. Indeed, Eheim products are worth the price.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Glad to hear that. Yes another member here put pennies under his to elavate it. Yes I think it's J-man that loves eheim too, it's german made quality

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Atm, there are much cheaper Coralife legs that ARE compatible with a glass top, or any other kind of a top. I just got them from Big Al's. Here:

Clear legs:

Black legs:

I bought the clear ones and have them already installed over my tank

P.S. Remember that they fit only Coralife fixtures.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok thanks, it doesn't look like they are adjustable though.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
No, they're not. But I have rather no choice in this situation: either no glass top and the adjustable legs, or the glass top + the non-adjustable legs. I need to have a top over my tank for the sake of the safety of my fish. So I have to use the non-adjustable legs. I don't want my glass to overheat without the legs. But these legs are not so bad. You can move them to the back of the tank if you need to perform tank maintenace. They're also very easy to take off. I like them. Plus, considering their price, they're worth it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom