Status
Not open for further replies.

free.will77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi guys

I could remember when one of my favorite fish ( the small silver shark) got ich and I did everything I could, but I couldn't save him. I liked him so much esp when it made click sounds and manoeuvred through the bubbles. no one could help me (people whom I know in my neighborhood) because they didn't have enough knowledge and they said "take it easy, it happens, it's just a fish" . I was all upset and thinking shouldn't we at least do sth and figure out what the problem is? and after several days watching him suffering from disease he died.
I believe we should be more responsible about our duties, and not say " let it go". it is NOT just a fish, it's something that breathes and wants you to be taken care once you bought it. you buy it for relaxtion or decoration ... and forget it for several days but it patiently waits for you to be fed and be watched.
guys I saw these people and they laughed at me because they think I get hurt over sth unimportant.
but if I could only tell them " my friend, it is NOT just a fish"

Bahar

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It's something that a lot of us have dealt with. Because they're cold-blooded, because they aren't all cuddly, because they think differently from us, and because they're generally so cheap, a lot of people have the "just a fish" syndrome. I tried explaining to coworkers that bettas require a lot more care than just dropping them into a vase. They looked at me like I was crazy and said, "who cares? They only cost a couple of bucks, and it's not like they can feel anything." I just muttered "I feel sorry for you," and went back to work.

This is one of the biggest jobs that Fishlore and similar forums has. We want to change the way people look at aquarium fish, just like many are trying to change the way people look at pet dogs or cats. I've personally seen dozens of people go from "it's just a fish" to "I can't believe that they do things like dye fish/cram bettas in cups/etc..." so I know that it's happening. It's just too bad that it's so slow.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I totally agree. I face this all the time. I'll sit and research info to broaden my knowledge and do the best I can to make sure what I do is correct, and is likely to work. Many people wonder why I bother and use the old "it's just a fish" comment. That's not the point though, these animals depend on us to care for them and are grateful that we do.

Inevitably we are going to lose fish and all have to start somewhere, but the great thing about here is all the help and so many members have passed info on that it will spread, albeit slowly...

OP
free.will77

free.will77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I do agree with both of you. you don't know how much it means to me that there are some people who protect life in whole aspects. whether in seas or on the earth.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Behar,

I hate that your friends don't understand how you feel. I think many of us have been there and are there now.

I speak up for my fish. I dare anyone to touch the tank glass or bang on the glass or leave grubby finger prints on it! I don't want them startled or upset. You can look but don't touch!

I've spent many years raising my fish family and to me they are part of my family. If people don't understand that then they can step along :whistling: I don't allow children in my fish room without supervision. The thought of that just gives me chills! LOL

Anyway...I love my fish. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. We can only do so much in educating people that don't want to listen.

We're here and we care

Ken (my rant for the day)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom