I hate Serpae Tetras

crazycatlady

So I went to visit my grandmother and when I looked into the tank I had set up for her. One of the Serpae tetras (there are 7 total btw) had it's tail almost completely nipped off! I didn't think it was fin rot because when I tested the water all parameters were normal and the fish wasn't showing any sign of distress other than not being able to swim very well. So I gave my grandmother some Melafix.

When I went back to her house today the fish had grown what I can best describe as a "baby" tail, significantly smaller than what it had before and completely white. The fish seemed fine and was still behaving normally. Will the tail grow anymore or is it always going to look like that?

Additionally the Brazilian Rams are still living in the 55 gallon at my grandmother's house while I get things situated in my apartment. Two of the rams are supposed to live in the 27g with the demon tetras but now I'm having second thoughts.

Edit: Well that was a fail. I posted this in entirely the wrong forum. I meant to post this in the beginner's forum.

Nikita

The tail should grow back, but it may not. Make sure there is plenty of cover in the tank in case it is to happen again. Make sure the water is clean as well. The cleaner the water, the faster the healing process. Clean water will also prevent the wound from getting any kind of bacterial infection.

crazycatlady

That's good to know about the tail. As I said the fish seems to be getting along alright. But what about the rams? What is the likelihood of them being injured by the tetras?

Nikita

It's all possible, so just keep watch. Make sure to have a back-up plan if anything does go wrong.

stillmefromtheotherworld

That's good to know about the tail. As I said the fish seems to be getting along alright. But what about the rams? What is the likelihood of them being injured by the tetras?

As nikita said, there is. So be careful, have a rehoming plan ready (or a separate tank) and get lots of cover in the tank. Serpaes are nippy little pests, aren't they?

crazycatlady

Now I'm terrified. There is no backup plan. I don't have anyone else that I trust that can take my rams and I can't afford another tank right now. As it is I have a 34 gallon that I'm putting 3 rams in which I've been told isn't an ideal situation. Now I don't know what to do, I feel like I'm back at square one

Nikita

If worse comes to worse, you may have to take some fish back.

adive

I see that this is one more thread which talks about the nippiness of serpaes which I had asked in my other thread, to which I had got contradicting opinions. I will avoid them as I dread the thought of rehoming fish in case of problems.

crazycatlady

I got my fish from PetSmart which only takes fish back for 2 weeks after the purchase date, so that is not an option since I've had the rams since March and I've had the tetras for more than two weeks.

The only reason I have the tetras is that I took some fish a neighbor was going to dump in the creek behind his house because he was moving. No good deed goes unpunished I guess.

crazycatlady

Good news everyone! I forgot one of my options is to take them to the local fish rescue. My grandmother doesn't really like the serpaes because they stress her out since they're constantly nipping each other anyway so we have agreed to contact the rescue and take them there.

She plans to keep her tank a species only tank with Bolivian Rams once the tetras are gone.

Nikita

Glad everything is settled. Does she plan on replacing them with something else? I would recommend another small schooling fish, such as Neon Tetra, Flame Tetra, Lemon Tetra, Cherry Barbs, Lamp chop Rasbora (Or Harlequin, whichever is adequate for the tank), etc.

shelleyd2008

A friend of mine has 4 serpaes and they don't nip at all. I don't know why, they just don't. One way to reduce the nipping is to increase the school. I don't know that it necessarily reduces it, but it spreads it out. They are less likely to single out one individual to pick on if there are more to choose from lol

Ksuvet

I introduced 6 Serpas into my 90g from the smaller 10 gallon and I thought that school would enough....not really.

Within one hour all five were terrorizing my Cardinal Tetras and Cherry Barbs

shelleyd2008

Tetras like big schools. I always suggest schools of at least 12, it seems to make any type of tetra act better.

crazycatlady

My grandmother definitely doesn't want anymore Serpaes. I thought 7 would be enough but it's not, and the only reason I took them is because I didn't want them to die. I think my grandmother may just keep the 27g cube as a species only tank with the rams.

One of the problems is that the tank has odd dimensions. It's this tank:

Would this tank hold 3 rams, or is that a stretch? I have to decide whether to give her 2 or 3 of my rams.

shelleyd2008

With rams, won't you need some type of 'dither' fish? I don't know much about rams so can't say if that tank is okay for 3 or not. I'm thinking not but will let others chime in.

adive

Correct about the dithers. 27g is small for 3 if you ask me and go with "theory". I have a 42g in which I introduced a M&F. Before they paired up (lucky me!) the M really beat up the F. But since pairing up they are peaceful.

you could add 1M, 2F and be ready to remove 1F if the other M&F pair up. if after pairing they don't get aggressive with the lone F, you can continue with all 3. you will need a backup plan and be ready for changes. give lotsa hideouts. hth

adive

on 2nd thought, you can try without dithers, see if it works.

crazycatlady

Currently all 5 of the rams live in a 55g, but I had to sell it to a friend since I moved to a much a smaller apartment. My friend is just waiting for me to get my fish out.

I have two pairs and one lone male, which I am splitting between my new 34g tank and my grandmother's 27g tank. I just need to know how to split them. I disagree that Rams "need" dithers. I think they're okay without them.

Edit: The reason I disagree about the dithers is that I had my rams without them for several months and the rams were always active.

crazycatlady

If I were to have dither fish, it would have to be something colorful and relaxing. Would cardinal tetras be okay, if so how many?

adive

its good to know that dithers are not required - I thought so. no exp. with cardinals.

Scoutsfish

I would give her 1 pair and a school of cardinals(8 or so would be a nice school). That would make for a nice tank

For the other pair and male, I think its best you keep the lone male since your tank is bigger, and you'll be able to watch them closer incase something goes wrong ie: aggression between him and the pair. If something does go wrong you may need to give the male to the fish rescue store you're taking the serpaes to

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
OnTheFly
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views